Explainer: Why are malaria pills being used against coronavirus?

snoop1130

51 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I was pointing you to the Bloomberg news article linked in my post in the other thread on the recent Chinese small scale study that found no benefit for CV in using the drug. Apart from that, I know from other news reports that the Chinese medical authorities originally went full bore on this drug, then encountered problems with it, and then backed off and recommended limiting its use. So overall, even with the current limited information, the results for CV are hardly clear or consistent.

As an example. that is what Bloomberg's writers said. Here is what Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology News says

Treatment: Chloroquine phosphate (marketed by Bayer as Resochin®)

Status: Evaluated in clinical trials in over 10 hospitals in Beijing, as well as in south China’s Guangdong Province and central China’s Hunan Province, where it has “shown fairly good efficacy” according to Sun Yanrong, deputy head of the China National Center for Biotechnology Development under the Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST), the state-owned Xinhua news agency reported on February 17. 

After China’s National Health Commission included chloroquine phosphate in its latest treatment guidelines for COVID-19 pneumonia, eight Chinese companies sped up manufacturing and supply of the drug, Shanghai Daily reported February 20.

Also this: Antimalarial drug confirmed effective on COVID-19 (Beijing China)

-- and more --

32 minutes ago, Tug said:

Bottom line everyone would be delighted if it works the key here is (if) it works it’s under trials now it is ill responsible to speak of it this early untle it’s proven effective potus of all people should have the discipline to wait till at least early evidence is known 

So do you want Cuomo to wait while his folks die. Funny how even treatment gets politicized by the anti Trump crowd.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, elliss said:

Pharmaceutical companies are overstocked with Malaria Meds .

Buy now , while stocks last...

Probably the dumbest post I have ever seen. Can you guys ever give it a rest?

But here, Ill play. Who makes the drug? What are the profit margins on it? How many pills are in stock right now, is there a shortage or a surplus?

Answer: No idea, I just wanted to post some anti pharm talking point because its cool.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

But here, Ill play. Who makes the drug? What are the profit margins on it? How many pills are in stock right now, is there a shortage or a surplus?

Answer: No idea, I just wanted to post some anti pharm talking point because its cool.

Took me all of 30 seconds to find this:

Amid Hydroxychloroquine Hopes, Lupus Patients Face Shortages

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/927307

1 hour ago, rabas said:

Thanks. Sorry, I meant an original reference, nothing filtered through political media, left or right. It's quite toxic at the moment.

The bloomberg reference has the original, non-political, chinese warning about the drug. I hope your Chinese is good. ????

4 hours ago, riclag said:

Got somethin better, suggestions! In the mean time!!!!!

"A recent controlled clinical study conducted by Didier Raoult M.D/Ph.D, et. al in France has shown that 100% patients that received a combination of HCQ and Azithromycin tested negative and were virologically cured within 6 days of treatment".

https://www.covidtrial.io/

Nice.  Except this isn't a valid clinical trial, nor has it been peer reviewed.

Interesting fellow though.

image.jpeg.f38899ab6283bbe112c978aa0adeabbe.jpeg

2 hours ago, elliss said:

Pharmaceutical companies are overstocked with Malaria Meds .

Buy now , while stocks last...

No they were not.

The drug has been on generic  lists for decades. 

Instead of spreading lies, why not show some decency and be responsible?

7 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

what is insane about taking vit D3 and zinc, plenty of evidence for that and only today NY Hospital claims injecting patients with 1500 mg of vit C showed improvements. It's all very well to sneer at people but you would be trying to find out what you could do to help a family member if they had it and the hospitals turned them away, ignorance is bliss maybe.

you  dont  know my  family, u eat a  healthy diet  you  will get all the zinc  you  need instead of  popping  pills  daily, plenty of food contains zinc, want vit3d  go sit  in the  sun its  not  like theres  a shortage here, vitamin supplements  biggest con ever for MOST  people

Edited by Chazar
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

There was no ‘Anti Pharm’ sentiment in the post you replied to.

• Like 1

Some troll posts and replies have been removed.

A post using content from an unapproved YouTube source has been removed:

18) Social Media content is not to be used as  source material unless it is from a recognized or approved news media source,  the source of any such material (Twitter, Facebook  etc.) should always be shown.

10 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Took me all of 30 seconds to find this:

Amid Hydroxychloroquine Hopes, Lupus Patients Face Shortages

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/927307

Compelling article. A 48 year old lupus sufferer who became worried on hearing the French study, called her rheumatologist for a new prescription, which she got, and was relieved.

Then they add:

Despite efforts to pin blame for the shortages on Trump alone , hydroxychloroquine scarcity was already setting in weeks ago, as doctors began responding on their own to percolating and preliminary research. Some evidence suggests that many doctors are now writing prescriptions prophylactically for patients with no known illness — as well as for themselves and family members.

The critical part:

Chloroquinone, manufactured by the kiloton, is not used to treat Lupus.

Edited by rabas
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, rabas said:

Compelling article. A 48 year old lupus sufferer who became worried on hearing the French study, called her rheumatologist for a new prescription, which she got, and was relieved.

Then they add:

Despite efforts to pin blame for the shortages on Trump alone , hydroxychloroquine scarcity was already setting in weeks ago, as doctors began responding on their own to percolating and preliminary research. Some evidence suggests that many doctors are now writing prescriptions prophylactically for patients with no known illness — as well as for themselves and family members.

The critical part:

Chloroquinone, manufactured by the kiloton, is not used to treat Lupus.

Because it's not only Trump's fault, therefore he is absolved in entirety? And hydrochlorquinone was used in the widely touted French study:

https://www.mediterranee-infection.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Hydroxychloroquine_final_DOI_IJAA.pdf

15 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:
15 hours ago, riclag said:

Got somethin better, suggestions! In the mean time!!!!!

"A recent controlled clinical study conducted by Didier Raoult M.D/Ph.D, et. al in France has shown that 100% patients that received a combination of HCQ and Azithromycin tested negative and were virologically cured within 6 days of treatment".

https://www.covidtrial.io/

100% success in a medical trial. 

Absolutely incredible*.

* In the fullest sense of the word incredible.

Oh and look:

The Domain Name 'Covidtrial.io' was registered 9 days ago and there are no details at all of who the registrant is recorded in its whois records. 

I'll call it Riclag. 

You are spreading hogwash from unknown origins here on TVF. 

if one is to fault and or criticize a clinical trial/ medical data it must be done in a cohesive analytical way rather than simply cite the endpoint which one may or may not agree with assigning a perjorative term.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

In Arizona, a man died and his wife was hospitalized after taking a nonmedical form of chloroquine used to fight parasites in aquariums.

This is so typical of the FDA, which is a stunningly corrupt organization, that cannot be trusted on any level. They are twins to Big Pharma. This guy swallowed aquarium products and died. What on earth does that have to do with the use of this medicine. Beyond inane. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, riclag said:

From what I have been following its used in a combination,with azithromycin

In the French study you refer to there were 26 patients. One died and three ended up in ICU. Leaving the outcome of the three that went to ICU out of the equation it suggests that the mortality rate with these drugs is, at a minimum, just under 4%. Isn't that somewhat high?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://theintercept.com/2020/03/24/trump-hyped-chloroquine-cure-covid-19-man-arizona-took-died/&ved=2ahUKEwiJ5PbQnbfoAhU9xzgGHZTeDLkQFjAHegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw3-_Thn5C6HMCK-q4HksiCt

• Like 2

I happen to have two small bottles of ChloroQuine 500mg tablets that were prescribed to me by a Doctor.  They were to be used to reduce cramps in my feet at night.  The instructions on the bottles are “Take 1 Tablet by mouth at bedtime for 5 nights as needed.”

I tried to obtain more in Thailand but was told it can not be ordered by a pharmacy in Thailand.  They said it was available at hospitals.  Have not had time to check this out.

Yes I do know the doctor and that he is not a fake.  In fact he is my brother.

28 minutes ago, atyclb said:

if one is to fault and or criticize a clinical trial/ medical data it must be done in a cohesive analytical way rather than simply cite the endpoint which one may or may not agree with assigning a perjorative term.

The website is being criticized. Who knows if its portrayal of the study is accurate or not?

• Thanks 1

Just now, HappyinNE said:

I happen to have two small bottles of ChloroQuine 500mg tablets that were prescribed to me by a Doctor.  They were to be used to reduce cramps in my feet at night.  The instructions on the bottles are “Take 1 Tablet by mouth at bedtime for 5 nights as needed.”

I tried to obtain more in Thailand but was told it can not be ordered by a pharmacy in Thailand.  They said it was available at hospitals.  Have not had time to check this out.

Yes I do know the doctor and that he is not a fake.  In fact he is my brother.

Your brother is a doctor therefore....?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

In Arizona, a man died and his wife was hospitalized after taking a nonmedical form of chloroquine used to fight parasites in aquariums.

This is so typical of the FDA, which is a stunningly corrupt organization, that cannot be trusted on any level. They are twins to Big Pharma. This guy swallowed aquarium products and died. What on earth does that have to do with the use of this medicine. Beyond inane. 

What do aquarium products have to do with the FDA?

44 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Because it's not only Trump's fault, therefore he is absolved in entirety? And hydrochlorquinone was used in the widely touted French study:

https://www.mediterranee-infection.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Hydroxychloroquine_final_DOI_IJAA.pdf

Immaterial, both chloroquine and hyroxychloroquine show good efficacy for COVID-19.

And they were wrong, both forms are used for Lupus, ensuring kilotons of supply for the relatively few Americans using it.

Absolved for what? The MSM wrongly terrified many about a successful medication used by billions. Ask the question, how many will die by refusing chloroquine because of MSM anti-Trump pedantry? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

What do aquarium products have to do with the FDA?

The FDA does everything in it's power to protect big pharma. Chances are, they have no interest in a run on a generic drug. So, they are putting roadblocks in the way of the hydrochlorquinone. That would be my guess. The FDA is the one who issued the alert about the dangers of taking it. What is their agenda? Public safety for them is usually their last consideration. They are a truly heinous organization. 

If an herbal company, that is making a perfectly benign product does not spend $2-3 million on FDA tests, they will issue warnings against the product. Democratic? Or fasco/capitalismo?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alanrchase said:

In the French study you refer to there were 26 patients. One died and three ended up in ICU. Leaving the outcome of the three that went to ICU out of the equation it suggests that the mortality rate with these drugs is, at a minimum, just under 4%. Isn't that somewhat high?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://theintercept.com/2020/03/24/trump-hyped-chloroquine-cure-covid-19-man-arizona-took-died/&ved=2ahUKEwiJ5PbQnbfoAhU9xzgGHZTeDLkQFjAHegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw3-_Thn5C6HMCK-q4HksiCt

Closed case fatality rate worldwide just hit 16%. You want to compare 'closed case' fatality rates because outcomes of all patients in the study are known. Therefore 4% is rather low. However, this is a preliminary clinical study.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Edited by rabas

1 hour ago, atyclb said:

Anonymous website owners publishing what they claim to be data.

Please, let’s not put that in the same basket as medical research, let alone go to it for advice on self medication with what are in truth dangerous drugs.

Thailand has Doctors and hospitals, appointments are easily had, medical check ups, diagnosis and prescriptions not expensive.

But hey let’s get medical advice from complete strangers quoting anonymously owned websites on an Internet forum.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Anonymous website owners publishing what they claim to be data.

Please, let’s not put that in the same basket as medical research, let alone go to it for advice on self medication with what are in truth dangerous drugs.

Thailand has Doctors and hospitals, appointments are easily had, medical check ups, diagnosis and prescriptions not expensive.

But hey let’s get medical advice from complete strangers quoting anonymously owned websites on an Internet forum.

Give it a rest.  The french doctor conducting successful cases is doing good work.  Or do you have inside knowledge beyond his training and expertise you can enlighten us with?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, rabas said:

Closed case fatality rate worldwide just hit 16%. You want to compare 'closed case' fatality rates because outcomes of all patients in the study are known. Therefore 4% is rather low. However, this is a preliminary clinical study.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Yes, but as I said, three patients  that were transfered to ICU were mysteriously left out of the final result. Why? Did they die? I am not saying the drugs are of no use. The French test just needs to be carried out in a much more professional and scientific manner. Due to the adverse affects 6 out of 26 patients experienced I would prefer Trump keep quiet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From HMG on this subject:

We understand these are challenging times, and patients may be worried, but we are doing everything we can to continue to ensure patient safety.

Chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine are not licensed to treat COVID-19 related symptoms or prevent infection.

Clinical trials are ongoing to test chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine as an agent in the treatment of COVID-19 or to prevent COVID-19 infection.

Chloroquine and Hydroxychloroquine not licensed for coronavirus (COVID-19) treatment

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1