Explainer: Why are malaria pills being used against coronavirus?

snoop1130

20 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

You might get desperate if you can't breath and the Hospital has no ventilators, or even any of these drugs. I will be taking it if desperate. Why let other people take responsibility for your health especially in a third world country, I'll look after myself rather than some dubiously knowledgeable Thai in a white coat.

drugs2.jpg

where did you get chloroquine pleas e?

48 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

At what dose do you think it's dangerous?

Here is a guide for physicians on how to evaluate QTc risks for people taking [HO]chloroquine to treat nCoV2019. It includes many factors not just medications known to also affect QTc, of which there are many.

https://www.dicardiology.com/article/covid-19-hydroxychloroquine-treatment-brings-prolonged-qt-arrhythmia-issues

Anyone considering the use of medications to treat nCoV2019 in an emergency situation, should consider first discussing your plans with a competent physician and take any recommended tests, regardless your level of competency.  Just a thought.

Thai physicians have experience with chloroquine type drugs, and will know about factors that affect QTc as well as other issues.

Edited by rabas

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:
6 hours ago, atyclb said:

if one is to fault and or criticize a clinical trial/ medical data it must be done in a cohesive analytical way rather than simply cite the endpoint which one may or may not agree with assigning a perjorative term.

Anonymous website owners publishing what they claim to be data.

Please, let’s not put that in the same basket as medical research, let alone go to it for advice on self medication with what are in truth dangerous drugs.

Thailand has Doctors and hospitals, appointments are easily had, medical check ups, diagnosis and prescriptions not expensive.

But hey let’s get medical advice from complete strangers quoting anonymously owned websites on an Internet forum.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/186Bel9RqfsmEx55FDum4xY_IlWSHnGbj/view.  is the link . read this then you are welcome to critique it

aside from results, what stands out to me is

"For ethical reasons and because our first results are so significant and evident we decide to
share our findings with the medical community, given the urgent need for an effective drug
against SARS-CoV-2 in the current pandemic context."

Edited by atyclb

25 minutes ago, rabas said:

Here is a guide for physicians on how to evaluate QTc risks for people taking [HO]chloroquine to treat nCoV2019. It includes many factors not just medications known to also affect QTc, of which there are many.

https://www.dicardiology.com/article/covid-19-hydroxychloroquine-treatment-brings-prolonged-qt-arrhythmia-issues

Anyone considering the use of medications to treat nCoV2019 in an emergency situation, should consider first discussing your plans with a competent physician and take any recommended tests, regardless your level of competency.  Just a thought.

Thai physicians have experience with chloroquine type drugs, and will know about factors that affect QTc as well as other issues.

many drugs can cause increased qt interval. "risk vs benefit" is tantamount. 

you can die from aspirin and tylenol also.

7 hours ago, rabas said:
8 hours ago, alanrchase said:

In the French study you refer to there were 26 patients. One died and three ended up in ICU. Leaving the outcome of the three that went to ICU out of the equation it suggests that the mortality rate with these drugs is, at a minimum, just under 4%. Isn't that somewhat high?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://theintercept.com/2020/03/24/trump-hyped-chloroquine-cure-covid-19-man-arizona-took-died/&ved=2ahUKEwiJ5PbQnbfoAhU9xzgGHZTeDLkQFjAHegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw3-_Thn5C6HMCK-q4HksiCt

Closed case fatality rate worldwide just hit 16%. You want to compare 'closed case' fatality rates because outcomes of all patients in the study are known. Therefore 4% is rather low. However, this is a preliminary clinical study.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

if i may critique the closed fatality rate without referring to it as "hogwash LOL"

it is very possible the actual infected rates are significantly higher unless they test 100% of the population. likely there are those that had mild or limited or normal flu like symptoms and recovered on their own never tested or seeking medical advice. if the enire population were to be tested the mortality/death rate likely would go down significantly

i myself had a self limited "flu like illness" recently. could have been corona.

stay safe, limit the corona to your fridge,  cheers

Edited by metisdead
Trolling image removed.
  • Like 1

A post with links to unapproved YouTube sources has been removed:

18) Social Media content is not to be used as  source material unless it is from a recognized or approved news media source,  the source of any such material (Twitter, Facebook  etc.) should always be shown.

6 hours ago, Yme said:
On 3/25/2020 at 7:14 PM, riclag said:

Got somethin better, suggestions! In the mean time!!!!!

"A recent controlled clinical study conducted by Didier Raoult M.D/Ph.D, et. al in France has shown that 100% patients that received a combination of HCQ and Azithromycin tested negative and were virologically cured within 6 days of treatment".

https://www.covidtrial.io/

Non peer reviewed. Not complete. No double-blind. A total farce. 
The trial has been widely discredited because of its lack of controls. 

context should be important to you

a oandemic that essentially threatens the lives and wellbeing on a global scale does not have the luxury of attaining the same status as the framingham heart study.

you take what you can get albeit in bits and pieces and the italian doctor is highly experienced and respected. m.d., phd.

a very important snippet from his study

"For ethical reasons and because our first results are so significant and evident we decide to
share our findings with the medical community, given the urgent need for an effective drug
against SARS-CoV-2 in the current pandemic context."

Edited by atyclb

10 hours ago, rabas said:

Immaterial, both chloroquine and hyroxychloroquine show good efficacy for COVID-19.

And they were wrong, both forms are used for Lupus, ensuring kilotons of supply for the relatively few Americans using it.

Absolved for what? The MSM wrongly terrified many about a successful medication used by billions. Ask the question, how many will die by refusing chloroquine because of MSM anti-Trump pedantry? 

You are asserting that they are effective. The fact is that the jury is still out. They may be effective. 

"Chloroquine, approved for Americans in the 1940s, and hydroxychloroquine, greenlighted the next decade, are also prescribed for patients with lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. 

Pharmacists who fill prescriptions for patients taking the drugs for lupus or rheumatoid arthritis are finding it difficult to find them in recent weeks.

While manufacturers have announced plans to ramp up production, both drugs are listed in shortage, according to the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. "

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-claim-that-malaria-drugs-treat-coronavirus-sparks-warnings-shortages-11584981897

We don't know how many more will die, if any, because the effectiveness of these drugs against Covid-19 has not yet been scientifically established.

9 hours ago, tlandtday said:

Give it a rest.  The french doctor conducting successful cases is doing good work.  Or do you have inside knowledge beyond his training and expertise you can enlighten us with?

What does "conducting successful cases" mean?

Big Pharma will simply not allow a simple inexpensive readily available drug that can even be self administered to threaten their monopoly on information and product.  They know what is best for you.  

Edited by tlandtday

6 hours ago, tlandtday said:

Big Pharma will simply not allow a simple inexpensive readily available drug that can even be self administered to threaten their monopoly on information and product.  They know what is best for you.  

Which is why the don't allow chlorquinone and hydrochlorquinone to be used in the treatment of lupus....oops!

17 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

In Arizona, a man died and his wife was hospitalized after taking a nonmedical form of chloroquine used to fight parasites in aquariums.

This is so typical of the FDA, which is a stunningly corrupt organization, that cannot be trusted on any level. They are twins to Big Pharma. This guy swallowed aquarium products and died. What on earth does that have to do with the use of this medicine. Beyond inane. 

sounds  fishy

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, atyclb said:

if i may critique the closed fatality rate without referring to it as "hogwash LOL"

it is very possible the actual infected rates are significantly higher unless they test 100% of the population. likely there are those that had mild or limited or normal flu like symptoms and recovered on their own never tested or seeking medical advice. if the enire population were to be tested the mortality/death rate likely would go down significantly

i myself had a self limited "flu like illness" recently. could have been corona.

Did you drink all your corona? They're gone!

Please critique. You're right in that case fatality rates do not consider unreported cases because a case means a reported person. It's just a working number. Closed case (all who recovered or died) is more realistic, but higher, than dividing by all cases still in hospital. In the end, both numbers become the same. At this time, neither is fully accurate. When it's all over, CFR will be accurate for reported cases but still miss potentially large numbers of unreported cases. 

By the way, may I ask about your symptoms? You may well have had it. I think everyone is now wondering every time they sneeze, cough, or their throat itches. Knowing your systems might help a lot of people.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rabas said:
18 hours ago, atyclb said:

Please critique. You're right in that case fatality rates do not consider unreported cases because a case means a reported person. It's just a working number. Closed case (all who recovered or died) is more realistic, but higher, than dividing by all cases still in hospital. In the end, both numbers become the same. At this time, neither is fully accurate. When it's all over, CFR will be accurate for reported cases but still miss potentially large numbers of unreported cases. 

By the way, may I ask about your symptoms? You may well have had it. I think everyone is now wondering every time they sneeze, cough, or their throat itches. Knowing your systems might help a lot of people.

pic of corona beer in fridge was deleted as a "troll photo" though i posted it as an illustrative photo

1 hour ago, rabas said:

my symptoms were ; general malaise, muscle and body aches, stuffy nose, possible fever but i didn't check, headache, non productive cough.  of note as i have asthma i have a chronic cough so wasn't anything new

Edited by atyclb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kelsall said:

President Trump: "We must try hydroxychloroquine & azithromycin."

The Media: "That's false hope! It's not approved for use yet!"

New York Gov. Cuomo: "We must try hydroxychloroquine & azithromycin."

The Media: "This is real leadership! What a fantastic idea!"

two faced lying morons.

cnn medical guy sanjay gupta. a neurosurgeon also publicly following the cnn narrative condemning trump for the fish tank couple but you can be sure privately he is thinking "darwin award" for that couple.  in dr guptas case he swore to the "hypocrite oath"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kelsall said:

President Trump: "We must try hydroxychloroquine & azithromycin."

The Media: "That's false hope! It's not approved for use yet!"

New York Gov. Cuomo: "We must try hydroxychloroquine & azithromycin."

The Media: "This is real leadership! What a fantastic idea!"

Wrong. Trump was claiming the 2 medications are effective. In fact he said they were approved for this by the FDA.

Cuomo is  authorizing clinical trials to see if it's effective.

Understand the difference now?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Wrong. Trump was claiming the 2 medications are effective. In fact he said they were approved for this by the FDA.

Cuomo is  authorizing clinical trials to see if it's effective.

Understand the difference now?

Can you kindly provide scientific evidence that it is not effective?  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, rabas said:

Can you kindly provide scientific evidence that it is not effective?  

So that's how it works, is it? Ya gotta disprove a drug is ineffective and until then it's presumed effective? there have been no definitive stage 3 clinical trials that are yet completed. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, atyclb said:

of course not, can't even provide a coherent argument

So you too believe that the way a new medication is evaluated is by assuming it works until proven otherwise? Do you understand that is the assumption that underlies Rabas' comment?Of course, if you believe his criticism makes sense, have I got some snake oil to sell you!

And claiming "of course not, can't even provide a coherent argument"  without providing some sort of reasoning to back it up is just is just an empty pejorative comment.  Try reasoning once in a while. Or just once.

• Haha 1

"An FDA Breakthrough on Treatment

The agency finally approves anti-malarial drugs for Covid-19"

https://www.wsj.com/articles/an-fda-breakthrough-on-treatment-11585609832

"Over the weekend, the Food and Drug Administration granted two malaria drugs "emergency use authorization"

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/03/30/823987540/fda-oks-addition-to-stockpile-of-malaria-drugs-for-covid-19

HOPE .where there was none! It would be beneficial  to acknowledge the potentials of this drug especially, for people who have been given a few  days to live .

Thanks MSM! 

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, riclag said:

HOPE .where there was none! It would be beneficial  to acknowledge the potentials of this drug especially, for people who have been given a few  days to live .

Thanks MSM! 

If chloroquinone and hydrochlorquinone were the only medications being tested, you might have a point. It's a testimony to the almost hypnotic influence Trump exerts over his supporters that you could actually believe that these 2 drugs were the only hope for people suffering severe symptoms.

Treatments for COVID-19: Drugs being tested against the coronavirus

The world is now desperate to find ways to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus and to find effective treatments. As of Friday (March 20), 86 clinical trials of COVID-19 treatments or vaccines that are either ongoing or recruiting patients. New ones are being added every day, as the case count in the U.S. (and globally) skyrockets.

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-covid-19-treatments.html

FDA approves trial of arthritis drug to treat COVID-19 pneumonia as NYC doc says he got it and improved

FDA approves trial of arthritis drug to treat COVID-19 pneumonia as NYC doc says he got it and improved

The drug, Tocilizumab (Actemra), already is showing promising results in Italy, the ANSA news agency reported earlier this month.

Dr. Paolo Ascierto at the Pascale Hospital in Naples said critically ill patients suffering from COVID-19 pneumonia showed significant improvement when treated with Tocilizumab, ANSA said.

A Brooklyn doctor diagnosed with COVID-19 revealed in a Twitter post that he received intravenous Tocilizumab after his symptoms got worse while using Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin.

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-fda-approves-trial-for-drug-to-treat-coronavirus-20200323-cuwac5zw7vguddbj6nhoexuw3a-story.html

Edited by bristolboy