BANGKOK
qualtrough

Cannot open any US social security site beginning www.ssa.xxx

No matter what browser I use I am unable to open any of the following US SS websites:

1. Retirement at https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/
  2. Disability at http://www.socialsecurity.gov/applyfordisability
  3. Medicare Only at https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/medicare

All of them just time out.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can let me know why that might be the case and what if anything I can do?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

• Confused 1

I have never been able to access SSA websites without using a VPN hosted inside the US.

Edited by timendres
  • Like 1

Are you paying attention to the operating hours in the US:

Hours of Service:   Monday - Friday 5 AM - 1 AM ET   |  Saturday 5 AM - 11 PM ET   |  Sunday 8 AM - 11:30 PM ET

Just tried it, TOT fiber, Na Jomtien, Win 7, Chrome and got in, BUT this is the first time that I have ever had to use a VPN for access

For some Thai IP addresses they will not work. Had the problem myself until True changed my IP address. Started using a VPN to get on them until it was changed.

They worked for me just now using a Thia IP.

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

For some Thai IP addresses they will not work. Had the problem myself until True changed my IP address. Started using a VPN to get on them until it was changed.

They worked for me just now using a Thia IP.

TOT fiber must be one of them, since once again today 3-27 I can only get in via my VPN (Express VPN)

May not be related but I have had a lot of time outs accessing web sites this past 5-6 weeks. Switching my DNS to Google helped.

On 3/26/2020 at 8:13 AM, Langsuan Man said:

Are you paying attention to the operating hours in the US:

Just tried it, TOT fiber, Na Jomtien, Win 7, Chrome and got in, BUT this is the first time that I have ever had to use a VPN for access

It has blocked you because it see's your IP address as being from a foreign country and possibly being malicious....my credit union and CalPers accounts do the same thing unless I use a VPN

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

It has blocked you because it see's your IP address as being from a foreign country and possibly being malicious....my credit union and CalPers accounts do the same thing unless I use a VPN

I have been accessing the social security site without a VPN since I applied for it on line from Thailand, from the same Thai ISP and the same computer, for 3 years now, despite you pronouncement this is a new occurrence

And if you don't believe ubonjoe, who are you going to believe 

OP,

It's probably just your ISP.  I'm on AIS Fibre and can reach all three websites without a VPN.  And the wife and I log onto our SSA Online accts--as well as other US govt websites--all the time without a VPN.

But years back when I was on True for about a 6 month period I could only reach several US govt websites--even public websites by using a VPN.  Tried all the various DNSs...didn't help....same problem on all three of my computers....had to use a VPN.  But then one day that problem magically went away.    I figure True fixed whatever problem they had in causing them to be unreachable.   

Thanks to everyone responding.

So I went and purchased a year of Express VPN.

Complicating the installation a bit is the fact that I have a cinnamon Linux distro.

But I followed their instructions, downloaded it, entered the authorization code, and it says it is up and running.

But I am not sure about that. Still can't open those pages.

Anyone know how I can check to see if it is really running?

The on-line voice help line is down because of Covid-19. So I plan on fiddling with that this evening. If anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated.

This is one of many ways - will provide the IP address you are showing the world and where it is listed as being.

https://whatismyipaddress.com/

I do not use that VPN or operating system but there should be an icon available to click on to see and change your VPN locations and that should say what you are currently using.

17 minutes ago, qualtrough said:

Thanks to everyone responding.

So I went and purchased a year of Express VPN.

Complicating the installation a bit is the fact that I have a cinnamon Linux distro.

But I followed their instructions, downloaded it, entered the authorization code, and it says it is up and running.

But I am not sure about that. Still can't open those pages.

The on-line voice help line is down because of Covid-19. So I plan on fiddling with that this evening. If anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated.

Can you open "any" webpages with an ExpressVPN connection?   I mean webpages like Cnn.com, youtube.com, etc.  

And have you tried opening the pages using a computer that running windows or android vs running linux?

I have True phone service and could get through, just make sure you try accessing during normal business hours, I also have TOT fiber and today I could not open the site, this happens occasionally but I can always get through on my phone with just the normal True service plan

17 hours ago, qualtrough said:

Yes, in your address bar at the top of your browser type My IP , hit enter, and if it shows a Thai IP address it is not working, if working you will see a foreign IP address:  

VPN.png.3937d7e6d65340e5c12793e62c849a97.png

Edited by Langsuan Man