BANGKOK
qualtrough

Cannot open any US social security site beginning www.ssa.xxx

Yes, in your address bar at the top of your browser type My IP 

That shows an IPv6 address only with no indication where located for me.  Website provides both IPv6 and IPv4 as well as location.

Will only show IPv6 IP "if" your ISP provides IPv6 connectivity also and your browser is set to default to IPv6 connection over IPv4.    Some ISPs provide IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity; others only IPv4. 

Most mobile connections do provide both IPv6 and IPv4 connectivity.  My AIS Fibre connection provides both IPv4 and IPv6 connections and my devices default to use IPv6 over IPv4. 

If for some reason the IPv6 connection is not available/funky, the device defaults to using IPv4 instead unless you have set your computer to prefer IPv4 as the default connection over IPv6.

And if when on VPN connection and doing a IP address check, if an IPv6 address appears anywhere then it means you have an IPv6 "leak" (not good and your true location is being leaked/discovered) and will probably reflect your real world location versus your VPN IPv4 connection.  As far as i know no VPN service provider uses IPv6 capable VPN servers; only IPv4 servers....and most VPN apps include a IPv6 kill switch while on your VPN connection to prevent IPv6 leaks.  ExpressVPN includes such a kill switch.

Edited by Pib

My VPN Ivacy has a convenient button to click to open a page that will display the country address of the server I am connected to. Very simple.

23 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

That shows an IPv6 address only with no indication where located for me.  Website provides both IPv6 and IPv4 as well as location.

Should have noted that was not using VPN - if using VPN it only shows the VPN IP address but you would still have to look up the IP to determine location - easier to use website IMHO.  But as said the VPN software will normally have this facility built in and provide actual and VPN IP numbers.