Covid and the Digital Nomads

tjo o tjim

Just an honest/curious question as to what digital nomads in Thailand are thinking/doing in the near future with Covid-19, lockdowns, quarantines, and the economy in general.  Personally, glad to be in my home country and in my own home.

Any thoughts are appreciated.  Kind of gauging when things will move back towards normal, and this is the foundation of it.

1 hour ago, WilScot said:

Worst case scenario: They are going to round everybody up without correct paperwork and/or funds in special settlements.

I am sure there will be no Wifi or a Starbucks Cafe there.

WOW...  that’s some impressive paranoid delusion there...   this one is up there for the ‘tin foiled hat’ award !!!

You really think that the Authorities might (worst case) round up all the ‘legal foreigners’ with ‘funds’ and place us in ‘special settlements’ ????? WOW... just wow !!!.. thats really out there with the earth is flat and this Covid-19 is a conspiracy to reduce the world of older people and solve the pension problem !!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

So, you have it much better because you go home? Are you going to run around and party everyday? No virus in your country?

Let´s just say like this. The digital nomads I have had contact with, they work outside the law in their home countries too. I suspect you did not come home and became a modern taxpaying citizen, which means you have not much rights in your home country either.

Well you must be clairvoyant.... What do you know about my situation. Such a BS.  I pay my taxes and lots of digital nomads do also. And they are not all running around and party everyday. And as you know, if you pay your taxes, you also have rights. So don't assume things where you obviously don't have a clue about. 

• Confused 2

5 minutes ago, WilScot said:

Well you must be clairvoyant.... What do you know about my situation. Such a BS.  I pay my taxes and lots of digital nomads do also. And they are not all running around and party everyday. And as you know, if you pay your taxes, you also have rights. So don't assume things where you obviously don't have a clue about. 

Yep, sure you do.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

WOW...  that’s some impressive paranoid delusion there...   this one is up there for the ‘tin foiled hat’ award !!!

You really think that the Authorities might (worst case) round up all the ‘legal foreigners’ with ‘funds’ and place us in ‘special settlements’ ????? WOW... just wow !!!.. thats really out there with the earth is flat and this Covid-19 is a conspiracy to reduce the world of older people and solve the pension problem !!!!!

yeaah.. i missed that one. I gladly receive that award. I meant without funds ???? I'll edit it. Cheers

4 minutes ago, WilScot said:

Now you made me laugh Matzzon... Shall I post you my tax returns? Cheers man. Sorry for the rant..

Sure, maybe you do. The thing, though. That is that many get payment to their banks account in their home country and then they stay away more than half year. That mean for many no tax in home country and they surely no show any income in Thailand. 

9 hours ago, WilScot said:

If they are still thinking about what they want to do, they are bloody fools. 

I got out last weekend as I saw the writing on the wall for the collapse coming. But I have still some "colleagues" who are living the dream. Running around in Thailand thinking they are a gift of god.  By now they are hiding in their condo's and hotel rooms.

Most of them forgot that you have no rights here. Legally you are not even allowed to work here and If you don't have any decent paperwork and/or a return ticket that officially has been cancelled by the airline, you are in for a bumpy ride.

From now on it's nationals first. There is no reason for the Thai government to facilitate or help anybody who is breaking the law. They can enforce it as they please.

Worst case scenario: They are going to round everybody up without correct paperwork and/or funds in special settlements.

As for the future: I'll be back in november. As I think things will settle down in 6 months. 

I assume you are in a place that is virus-free, where you have rights, where you have working papers, and where you have Wifi. And you still want to come back to Thailand? How weird.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, WilScot said:

You pay personal income tax to what country?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Unify said:

How is being a digital nomad a disadvantage? If they are here, they can sit in their condos and do their thing, no problem. They don't have to go to out in public. If they are able to travel, they can go wherever the virus is less of a current problem.

They are one of the few groups of people who can still generate income without meeting other people, face-to-face. This is a good thing. Given the current crisis, we need more folks that can telecommute and keep some economies going in some part.

I understand some of y'all are afraid of technology, and are feeling left behind. But we've moved beyond starting a fire by rubbing two sticks together. Don't be scared.

Either that, or just get out of the way.

Doesn't sound very nomadic.

• Like 1

On the bright side, a digital nomad works remotely anyway, so there's no change required in case they're locked down.

If they have the funds for a sustained stay in case their clients cancel projects etc. would be a concern, however.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:
12 hours ago, WilScot said:

okaaeee well then, what about this?

- Late last year, soon after the Huawei 5G Ban by many upper level Govts happened... 

- the Chinese, the CCP; were pretty peeved about that block to their expansionist-by-stealth plans.

Especially so because they were really banking on getting inside the Intelligence networks of these countries.

All centred around their 5G backdoors. 

By any by, by some coincidental magic, this wuhan virus emerges.

It wasn't supposed to become public knowledge.

Wind forward to now...

Everybody is now progressively being locked down.

Business enterprise ceasing

Everyone at home is trying to go online...

- for information

- for applying for Unemployment benefits

etc etc

But everyone online simultaneously, is already smothering the networks

One of the things about the 5G planar, is that it would supposedly outdate wifi... in that the 5G heirarchy want to get rid of it intoto; and have everyone doing the Network life entirely via cell... via 5G 

so now we are virtually on our knees, at the mercy of whoever provides a 'convenient' solution

The Solution is the Chinese will march in 

take over the lot, and install what they want...

and get their 5G infiltration wish after all 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, tjo o tjim said:

...what digital nomads in Thailand are thinking/doing in the near future with Covid-19, lockdowns, quarantines, and the economy in general.  Personally, glad to be in my home country and in my own home.

A digital nomad often work from home and has an online business, and "online" is still in operation. A successful digital nomad don't really care much, busy online; having his Elite Card for permission to stay, might even do his 90-day reports for him; delivery of food and other supplies is still possible. Seems like business almost as usual...????

• Like 2

To be a digital nomad right now actually one of the best situations. They are on of the few not affected by their business or work and income.
Might all change after a global economic collapse but for now they are better off than bar owners, restaurant owners and all others.

I'm not a nomad myself but I do have business Online, it is basically as if nothing even happened or changed so far. I do expect a global collapse after.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

45 minutes ago, khunPer said:

A digital nomad often work from home and has an online business, and "online" is still in operation. A successful digital nomad don't really care much, busy online; having his Elite Card for permission to stay, might even do his 90-day reports for him; delivery of food and other supplies is still possible. Seems like business almost as usual...????

Except of course, 99% of self styled digital nomads are backpackers with a laptop and a dream. Very, very few are successful businessmen by any stretch if the imagination. A couple of mediocre vlogs does not a success make.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tifino said:

Wind forward to now...

- for information

etc etc

One of the things about the 5G planar, is that it would supposedly outdate wifi... in that the 5G heirarchy want to get rid of it intoto; and have everyone doing the Network life entirely via cell... via 5G 

so now we are virtually on our knees, at the mercy of whoever provides a 'convenient' solution

All nonsense. Moving bandwidth from the office to the home is shifting the traffic profile, not smothering networks, although during lockdowns traffic certainly increases to some degree. 5G is not likely to completely replace WiFi, but in the cases where it does, you assume the Chinese have sniffers on all of that traffic and can feed it back home - not likely. Furthermore, we are already "on our knees" to the likes of Verizon, AT&T, Spectrum, etc., so how will that change? You have this idea that somehow China will own our networks. That is simply not the case.

3 hours ago, tifino said:

okaaeee well then, what about this?

- Late last year, soon after the Huawei 5G Ban by many upper level Govts happened... 

- the Chinese, the CCP; were pretty peeved about that block to their expansionist-by-stealth plans.

Especially so because they were really banking on getting inside the Intelligence networks of these countries.

All centred around their 5G backdoors. 

By any by, by some coincidental magic, this wuhan virus emerges.

It wasn't supposed to become public knowledge.

Wind forward to now...

- for information

etc etc

@ Wilscot..... you’ve lost your throne already... the above post has you beat hands down!!!... 

Next... 5G killed off the Aliens 1000’s of years ago !

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

@ Wilscot..... you’ve lost your throne already... the above post has you beat hands down!!!... 

Next... 5G killed off the Aliens 1000’s of years ago !

it took a bit of penning, as whilst typing, I was watching on Youtube:

- The theories that reckon it was the Romulans who created the Borg  

One assimilation story after another!! - it never ends...

• Haha 1