Can I tavel to Khon Kean and Back?

ryanhull

Hello all,

I need to fly my son back to Khon Kean as Yai and my ex want him in the village for a bit, I have had him for the last month as I took him to the UK, however he is with me in CM now slowly going insane as he has been kept in doors most days. 

Anyway I am wondering, will I be allowed to fly to KK and back to CM the same day? the village leader has agreed to let me son into the village, half of me thinks he is best off in the village out in isaan with his gran as opposed to in a busy condo in chiang mai, then I dont know how the villages will deal with it if they get it?

Question is, is he better off in isaan, more so in a village where he spend half the year (other half with me), I send him to a privrate school but thats now closed down so even less reason to need to go, but I do get Yai as she is worried and I can see her point tbf.

Can I even fly though?

What would you do?

Thanks

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Take care of your family first, worry about the virus and other people's opinions later.  Your best bet and safest is to drive in your own car and avoid people where you can.  get to the village and drop off the kid.  Stay there if you can, if not, just drive back. 

He may not have a car.Also have they stopped domestic flights,i am not sure.

28 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

Also have they stopped domestic flights

No!

Domestic flights might have been cut back but still operating.

Thai Air Asia flight CNX to KKC at 7:15 today operated as normal.

No health documents or the like needed for domestic flights.

Car travel around our area (not KK city) this morning without any checkpoints or the like.

At first sight you would not feel anything of a state of emergency.

Will he be picked up at the airport?

Edited by KhunBENQ

Today:

Air Asia CNX - KKC arrived 8:05 (ahead of schedule)

KKC - CNX departed at 13:17 (ahead of schedule)

Of course take passport with you (mandatory for domestic flights).

What date did you arrive from UK?

Do you have some proof that you are residing in Thailand?

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, transam said:

Isaan folk in BKK, who now have no job, are scampering back to their Isaan families, some for sure taking the bug back with them....Tricky situation....

But might still be safer than in a city (like CM).

No need for close contact, no need to use public transport.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Personally, I would have sorted this issue out earlier but my take is...a cramped shoebox apartment in Chiang Mai is no place to be spending the next few weeks...what if there's a total lockdown and you can't even get out of your apartment to buy food? Of course, it may never get that bad but it's always best to assume the worst.

In a village where your son can run around the house in the garden getting some sun, is definitely much better for his immune system than a tiny apartment. If absolutely necessary - drive to Khon Kaen but be prepared for checkpoints at every provincial boundary OR take a domestic flight. Consider whether you can bunker down in the village until the end of April or just drop him off and fly back the next day.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

yep, I can see how looking after your family first is selfish. Get real ! 

The OP has had his son for a month as he took him to the UK. He never said how long he’s been back in CM. He could just have returned and hasn’t self quarantined for 14 days therefore still a potential carrier. 
If he doesn’t have a car then he has to hire one, fill up with fuel, stop for food etc. Don’t you think that puts him, his son, yai and others at risk. It’s selfish people like you who are helping spread this virus and causing untold misery to others. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

He may not have a car.Also have they stopped domestic flights,i am not sure.

Thai Smile sent me a cheerful message this morning saying all their scheduled internal flights are operating normally.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

If the OP does make the trip, make sure he notifies the puyai bahn at both ends of the journey. It's a courtesy that may pay dividends if a nosy neighbor gets her panties in a bunch about a 'dirty farang' wandering about and calls to report him.

This low-level and informal degree of 'tracking' may seem irrelevant to those who think that armed soldiers and lock down is better but in the event of a local case of the virus, it's better to have been proactive and complying with the rules rather than be seen as the know-it-all foreigner.

All puai baans nationwide were ordered to report any arrival from Bangkok (maybe more places, they probably have a list)in their villages. My wife's niece arrived this morning from Bangkok and the puai baan came this afternoon to fill in some papers he has to deposit at the police office, I was told.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:
4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Just how stupid and selfish can you get.

It is not essential travel. If it were yesterday or before it would be a poor idea now it’s so bad it should almost be criminal.

What part of stay indoors do you not understand.

it doesn’t mean everyone except you.

There may not be checkpoints in KK there are certainly checkpoints on main roads.

yep, I can see how looking after your family first is selfish. Get real ! 

And just how is breaking a government stay home order, quite possibly being turned back by an army/police checkpoint, endangering others by doing a 13 hour drive along with the essential contacts along the way or endangering yourself and your child by getting on a flight with possible symptomless infected people then exposing the villagers to a potential infection looking after your family.

It is the definition of selfish, and if you cannot see that you need life lessons.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, action said:

What part of "STAY HOME" is so difficult for people to understand?

If you travel you're being selfish and irresponsible.   

Nearly everybody is going to be exposed regardless.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

And just how is breaking a government stay home order, quite possibly being turned back by an army/police checkpoint, endangering others by doing a 13 hour drive along with the essential contacts along the way or endangering yourself and your child by getting on a flight with possible symptomless infected people then exposing the villagers to a potential infection looking after your family.

It is the definition of selfish, and if you cannot see that you need life lessons.

As opposed to the completely full buses that are running all day to the provinces? They are sold out thru 30 April. They are being allowed to continue.

All I'm saying is that if hookers are being allowed to travel home with a Thai mentality, you might want to go easier on someone who has an actual reason to travel other than the fact that the farang ATMs have left town...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, papa al said:

Nearly everybody is going to be exposed regardless.

Huge difference between slow rate of infection vs all at once.

The reason why countries have adopted a strategy of "flattening the curve" is so infection can be stretched-out over weeks and months in order for medicos to be able to handle an even load of new infections.  Caregivers do not get overwhelmed.

If everyone behaves selfishly because they don't want to watch their kid anymore, you increase the chance of creating a huge spike that will overwhelm medical systems, and this is when people die.  Dying in a village with as your lungs slowly fill with fluid, sounds like a lousy way to die.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Just how stupid and selfish can you get.

It is not essential travel. If it were yesterday or before it would be a poor idea now it’s so bad it should almost be criminal.

What part of stay indoors do you not understand.

it doesn’t mean everyone except you.

There may not be checkpoints in KK there are certainly checkpoints on main roads.

I've driven 1000kms ++ in the last 2 days, not a check point in sight.

9 hours ago, idiot farang said:

As opposed to the completely full buses that are running all day to the provinces? They are sold out thru 30 April. They are being allowed to continue.

All I'm saying is that if hookers are being allowed to travel home with a Thai mentality, you might want to go easier on someone who has an actual reason to travel other than the fact that the farang ATMs have left town...

Is your screen name a boast or just descriptive of yourself? ???? 

the OP asked a question, probably not well thought through but reasonably OK. It is the utter stupidity and total selfishness of the suggestions offered that are being pointed out.

just because other people are travelling when they do have a  legitimate need to does not excuse unnecessary travel nor does it change the stupidity involved.

FWIW just how will someone who has no income feed themselves in a city? With the families in the countryside there is food available. I don’t say that that travel is good but it’s a much better reason than the OP’s one.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

And posting a 63-word sentience with minimal punctuation, I reckon you need some composition and grammar lessons.

And it's asymptomatic, not 'possible symptomless infected'.

Sheesh...

You may be able to travel and so would your son. But, both of you would be subject to immediate quarantine once you arrive at your destination. A 14 day, stay at home order. If you are in a village, it would be enforced by both the authorities and the village headman. This just happened to my wife who traveled to Issan. The army is using this to their advantage, they are whipping the people up into a panic, and the village headmen are all complicit in this scheme. So beware. Best to stay put, if you can. 

In my opinion the army is going to use Covid as a means to re-establish martial law, with the blessings of the populace, due to panic and fear, which is completely out of proportion to the 1,000 some odd infections nationwide.