Can I tavel to Khon Kean and Back?

ryanhull

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The army is using this to their advantage, they are whipping the people up into a panic, and the village headmen are all complicit in this scheme.

LOL. A 14-day self-quarantine in Bahn Nork is hardly "whipping the people into panic". That stuff only happens in Bangkok.

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

In my opinion the army is going to use Covid as a means to re-establish martial law, with the blessings of the populace, due to panic and fear, which is completely out of proportion to the 1,000 some odd infections nationwide. 

The only reason the government would activate 'Extreme State of Emergency' would be if everyone openly flaunts the rather amenable advice given so far to stay home as much as possible or, if there's a sudden and inexorable rise in infections and deaths. If the former prevents that latter, job well done IMHO.

Now, back to practical realities for a moment.

1 ) Are you washing your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds?

2 ) Wearing a mask when out and about?

3 ) Otherwise staying at home as much as possible?

5 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

LOL. A 14-day self-quarantine in Bahn Nork is hardly "whipping the people into panic". That stuff only happens in Bangkok.

The only reason the government would activate 'Extreme State of Emergency' would be if everyone openly flaunts the rather amenable advice given so far to stay home as much as possible or, if there's a sudden and inexorable rise in infections and deaths. If the former prevents that latter, job well done IMHO.

Now, back to practical realities for a moment.

1 ) Are you washing your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds?

2 ) Wearing a mask when out and about?

3 ) Otherwise staying at home as much as possible?

First of all, unless one is wearing a high quality N95 mask, you have absolutely no protection against contracting the virus. The only thing the cheap masks, and the surgical masks do, that I see 99% of the locals wearing, is to help prevent you from spreading it to others, if you have symptoms. Now, when you are talking about cleaning and sanitizing one's hands, you are entering into the realm of science, and medical effectiveness. Most of us are staying at home as much as possible now. 

20 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

First of all, unless one is wearing a high quality N95 mask, you have absolutely no protection against contracting the virus. The only thing the cheap masks, and the surgical masks do, that I see 99% of the locals wearing, is to help prevent you from spreading it to others, if you have symptoms. Now, when you are talking about cleaning and sanitizing one's hands, you are entering into the realm of science, and medical effectiveness. Most of us are staying at home as much as possible now. 

Good stuff.

But wrt the masks, if someone is unknowingly asymptomatic, and there's nothing to indicate that like in other, similar viral infections, being asymptomatic to Covid-19 is unlikely, isn't it only fair, reasonable and socially responsible to wear a mask?

Yes, only N95-grade masks afford protection against BECOMING infected but the common tri-fold surgical mask is the simplest and most effective way of preventing one SPREADING infection, that's why they are used in hospitals from outpatient clinics to emergency rooms to operating theaters. It is, as you say cheap but doesn't that make it cheap insurance?

It's been about a month since I first heard a health professional suggesting that people's mindsets should switch from assuming they are not infected and instead of getting themselves into a fragile cocoon of self-protection, they should consider that they are already infected and focus on the more amenable and practical prevention of infecting others.

Edited by NanLaew

17 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Those regular masks can actually be harmful because you're constantly touching your face to adjust it.

PS - I bet you're glad you stayed in Thailand instead of coming home to this dump

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sukhumvitneon said:

Those regular masks can actually be harmful because you're constantly touching your face to adjust it.

PS - I bet you're glad you stayed in Thailand instead of coming home to this dump

Yes, I am thrilled to be here in a small town, where things are calm and peaceful. That would have been very bad timing to come back to LA, at this time! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I've driven 1000kms ++ in the last 2 days, not a check point in sight.

the key words being "in the last two days".

would you please tell us what route you drove? just out of curiosity.

Edited by NCC1701A

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

the key words being "in the last two days".

would you please tell us what route you drove? just out of curiosity.

Sure!

Ubon - Nan - Phayao - Sukhothai - Phitsanulok - Ubon

Note - Heading out of phitsanulok there was a check point where everyone had their temp taken, glad i was on a motorbike as the tail back was horrendous.

Pls also note - i stayed at home for 2 weeks before this.

16 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

And just how is breaking a government stay home order, quite possibly being turned back by an army/police checkpoint, endangering others by doing a 13 hour drive along with the essential contacts along the way or endangering yourself and your child by getting on a flight with possible symptomless infected people then exposing the villagers to a potential infection looking after your family.

It is the definition of selfish, and if you cannot see that you need life lessons.

I can't believe that some here seem to be holier than the pope. 

The OP has stated an understandable reason, if careful, where's the problem?

At the same time, half of Thailand travels on buses and trains for fewer reasons. 

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

The OP has stated an understandable reason, if careful, where's the problem?

It is not the OP, who seems to have understandably disappeared, but people like you who seem to think that because others are being selfish is OK to do the same.

it is your kind of attitude that has caused  New Orleans To have probably the fastest increase in infections, and Florida will likely follow soon.

24 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

I can't believe that some here seem to be holier than the pope. 

At least the pope realises that everyone should stay at home and has cancelled all normal gatherings 

your kind of attitude would make Thailand, which has been doing quit well, into New York State.

if I can reduce the speed of the spread by my attitude to stupid then I take your comments as a compliment.

do you even care that the death rate is currently going up by 13% each day or that yesterday 2,791 more people died 13% more than the 2,388 who died 2 days ago, at the present rate of increase the death numbers will pass the Spanish flue by mid May.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It is not the OP, who seems to have understandably disappeared, but people like you who seem to think that because others are being selfish is OK to do the same.

it is your kind of attitude that has caused  New Orleans To have probably the fastest increase in infections, and Florida will likely follow soon.

At least the pope realises that everyone should stay at home and has cancelled all normal gatherings 

your kind of attitude would make Thailand, which has been doing quit well, into New York State.

if I can reduce the speed of the spread by my attitude to stupid then I take your comments as a compliment.

do you even care that the death rate is currently going up by 13% each day or that yesterday 2,791 more people died 13% more than the 2,388 who died 2 days ago, at the present rate of increase the death numbers will pass the Spanish flue by mid May.

What's your opinion on masks for everyone?

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

What's your opinion on masks for everyone?

If you want to wear one it’s your choice. It won’t protect you unless it’s one like this 7537FDFD-5E06-4FC6-ACD0-1797865BCD9F.jpeg.5034774bc1182cd751b8114faa5b0a4c.jpeg

or a proper medical mask designed for the job and they aren’t exactly cheap, one time use and several $ each, though even those masks are designed to protect on the way in but not so much on the way out.

if you are not coughing or sneezing (when they do reduce your transmitting the virus) the the general use ones are purely cosmetic.

Even if you are infectious if you aren’t coughing or sneezing you will only pass on the virus by hand or other contact so the mask doesn’t do anything except make others think they are safer.

The virus is not expelled from you in normal breathing. I don’t have any of the cheap masks and don’t wear one unless I am given one and asked to use it when I would out of politeness.

As we have been voluntarily restricted since last week I don’t see any changes coming soon.

what is your opinion on the subject?

9 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Is your screen name a boast or just descriptive of yourself? ???? 

the OP asked a question, probably not well thought through but reasonably OK. It is the utter stupidity and total selfishness of the suggestions offered that are being pointed out.

just because other people are travelling when they do have a  legitimate need to does not excuse unnecessary travel nor does it change the stupidity involved.

FWIW just how will someone who has no income feed themselves in a city? With the families in the countryside there is food available. I don’t say that that travel is good but it’s a much better reason than the OP’s one.

You're misinterpreting what I was saying.

The OP wants to return his son home. This could go on for months and I disagree that he is the devil incarnate for wanting to return his child home.

My other point is that the OP already contacted the village leader for approval- pretty proactive. OTOH, we even have police who were at the boxing match who returned home on buses already exhibiting symptoms, not disclosing these facts and going out drinking with buddies. I'll go out on a limb that the bar girls who were in close contact with countless people are not self quarantining themselves. I witnessed a few in Udon Thani- it was more like an unexpected opportunity to show off their gold. 

As for the poor Thai who returned home en masse.... obviously they had no choice- literally none. My point was that the wall to wall people at Mo Chit and Ekami, along with full buses, doesn't exactly bode well for containment. Govt. had to anticipate this and had a plan vs setting off a panic return that has certainly distributed the virus around Thailand.

Few governments around the world have handled this well- including the US.

1 hour ago, idiot farang said:

I witnessed a few in Udon Thani- it was more like an unexpected opportunity to show off their gold. 

Quite a few of the women in that occupation have even less thought for the future or others than many regular Thai people.

Regrettably they and others from the exodus have probably caused a tripling of the number of cases locally. AFIR there were no reported cases on Monday and it’s now 8+ 

I hope you have been able to get sufficient supplies last week to see you through.

Thanks all, me and the boy have been on quite along holiday, firstly in the UK before this started kicking off too serious really.

I do get some of the comments, albeit some maybe a bit extreme lol, however the head villageman has said my son can go in only, yai/grandad would be in a car and pick him up from the airport (i wont leave the airport). He will have his mask on and I keep him clean. To be honest, this condo is quite large, and my thinking is, soon as a few come down with it in this condo everyone will and its very hard to keep a kid from touching anythinng in a small condo, plus I think Chiang Mai is going to get it bad.

All aside from this Yai is obviously missing my boy as she hasnt seen him for months, she doesnt really get alot ofit as she is elderly but they are all doing good in the village to keep clean and I assume as they eat more healthy, get out in the sun and probably have stronger immune systems isaan would be best for him than here, neither is ideal I can say that,

We are due to fly tomorrow after along time indoors, I am told by some I will get in trouble by the army, and then I have spoke others Thai (in isaan side) who said it will be fine, anyway I will chace it as I want my lad back with yai, he eats alot more healthy there and he has been kept clean so once he is in he will be good until things get back to normal and his school opens, I dont want him locked in Chiang Mai with the army locking us in condos with 100`s of infected people... extreme maybe but could well happen, and that wont happen in the village, I lived in the village for many years and know them all well, its one big family with stuff like this. 

Thank you for the replies, even to the extreme ones heh