Phuket Governor ’asks’ tourists to self curfew from 5pm to midnight

webfact

I live in Patong and with everything closed, I've noticed people have been heading to the beach around sunset because there isn't a whole lot more to do. Many were obviously standing way too close together. That's a problem that needs to be solved. 

To have a one evening "suggestion" ban beginning at 5 pm that is not announced in English until 6 and the local English online news sites aren't notified and therefore don't report it until around 7 pm shows the level of incompetence that exists here. 

I remember years ago a manager told me that when posting a notice, you always need to get the important part of the message across in the first sentence using a larger font- and to keep that sentence very short.

Then go on to clarify the reasons behind the message afterwards. Otherwise people just won't bother to read all the text if it's not obvious what the point is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, donnacha said:

So, their solution to Covid-19 is to replace Phuket's nightlife with Chiang Mai's ????

With most of the world going into lockdown Thailand is allowing public gatherings, these tourists will go home and if they carry the virus it will keep getting worse in their countries and spark new outbreaks.

The returning tourists to NZ, have to go into isolation, quarantine, NZ has locked the whole county down.

Thailand thinks it is not necessary, they might get a rude warning from WHO very soon.

The most stupid behavior I have ever seen, does the enlightened one not know he must close all gatherings and lock the country down. Seek help from his mates the Chinese who have been controlling the virus to some extent.

Thailand is incubating and transmitting the disease throughout the world. The world is watching.

When will the King make an announcement , soon I hope for the sake of the people.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Snackbar said:

5pm to midnight to you isn’t the same  as it is to a Thai.

Different concept of time

Ha ha, yeah. Regarding the concept of time: 'Now' or 'later'.

I'll probably get stick for my sense of humour.

I've learnt not to just ask if something will be a long time, but to ask how long will it be. I'm also aware that it's more than likely a number will be plucked from the air to answer my question. Doesn't stop me trying though.

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Snackbar said:

5pm to midnight to you isn’t the same  as it is to a Thai.

Different concept of time

Unlike most European languages,
which can be translated to one another with relatively great precision at almost all levels,
translating Thai into English as soon as you go beyond fairly simplistic notions it is practically impossible to keep the precise spirit of the text.

Let's see which nationality pays the first fine for breaking Curfew. Will any penalty paid be the same amount regardless of nationality? I was informed of the curfew from a friend who translated the thai text. Was an english version put out there? These and many more questions will be answered shortly ????

4 minutes ago, AussieinThaiJim said:

Curfew YES. Dusk to dawn for EVERYONE!

Dusk to dawn for everyone! What about you transport that carries the essential products to the shops for you to purchase and live. There must be some exclusions to the curfew or the goods would not reach all the people to be able to live. Transport, vegetable growers, warehouse staff, loaders and unloaders of the trucks

48 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

Unlike most European languages,
which can be translated to one another with relatively great precision at almost all levels,
translating Thai into English as soon as you go beyond fairly simplistic notions it is practically impossible to keep the precise spirit of the text.

yes exactly

6 hours ago, Chazar said:

well  at  least  he  mentioned  thai  tourists  but  why  not Everyone? maybe  locals are  different and  immune to viruses

You are aware that English is not the official language of Thailand, right? Did it even occur to you there might be loss via translation.

You can't use simple punctuation but you are critical of a translation. Seems rich.

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

Dusk to dawn for everyone! What about you transport that carries the essential products to the shops for you to purchase and live. There must be some exclusions to the curfew or the goods would not reach all the people to be able to live. Transport, vegetable growers, warehouse staff, loaders and unloaders of the trucks

Non-essential staff.

No ridiculous public gatherings, anytime, anywhere. People gotta start to pull there heads in, fair dinkum

The simplest thing is to orchestrate a full lock down, bring in TMP and the Army as they are doing in Spain, Italy, India and lots of other countries.

Covid19 will be disastrous for this magnificent Kingdom if nothing drastically happens soon.