Phuket Governor ’asks’ tourists to self curfew from 5pm to midnight

webfact

36 minutes ago, sallecc said:

Kata beach right now 5pm... 

20200326_165327.jpgheir lif

Okay if this is real and now then I for sure can walk/run and get my daily dose with endorphin. Btw, a bit crazy all this people can still take buses, Bts in Bangkok, etc. I think the ones behind this order think foreign resident living as tourist even after spending nearly half their lifetime here.

I'm guessing that they specified tourists as they are more prone to gather in large

groups around this time to watch the sunset and maybe hunt around for food or drink.

Locals are probably either working or at home not doing touristy things. By midnight I

suppose most are tucked up in bed in their rooms. Perhaps they identified these times

as the most likely to draw large amounts of people to a specific location, possibly as the

heat of the day had dropped.

It seems like a lot of tourists think there's a curfew in effect tonight. I've not heard anything but the streets of Karon and Kata were extremely quiet, even though the beach at around 5pm was still busy. There were no more than six people in Makro at 8pm. Good for social[-distancing!

Or, of course, they could all be eating their takeaways on their balconies.

• Like 1

Just back from Makro & Kata drive around... Not a living soul outside, apart from several tourists and locals going back from shops... Kata beach empty (south side) except one couple, and just when I walked back to my bike - police parked right next to it. Two cops walked around looking if anybody is on the beach... I asked them why there's no people, is it curfew, he just politely replied "it's better everybody stays home". Fair enough, good night and on my way home... Still don't get it why curfew ends on midnight, though.

20200326_225444.jpg

8 hours ago, JimLuce said:

Phuket is a huge tourist town so this totally makes sense and the Phuket governor is actually looking out for the thousands of tourists there as well. My wife and I have a friend in town from the United States a Thai/American citizen and we are both extremely concerned about her. Not sure if she’s staying here or going home. So I just told her and warned her about what the United States Embassy is saying. That if you’re going go now while you still can as of yesterday that’s what they were saying. I haven’t checked today yet. 

The Phuket Governor is just simply politely asking tourists to abide by a curfew at this point so I would listen to him. He’s doing the right thing for Phuket and it’s tourists!! If you’re out at this point in a bar or something now I could maybe understand arresting people but people still gotta make a living. 

It does not make any sense.    There are more local Thais in Phuket than there are tourists.  Curfew all or none

Went for a swim today and people on the beach but they sit orderly with good distance to next person/couple.

On another move they have closed for walking/running safely at King Rama IX park where people are in fresh air, well fresh is maybe not the description but anyway with space to keep distance to next person sweeting out. But on the 10-15 hour crowdy night buses to the provinces you are welcome as long as you have a mask on, where is the logic???? closing people indoor do not protect against any virus, behavior do.

Edited by Felt 35
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, JimLuce said:

Oh man, I love where we live but I’m jealous sometimes I think about moving close to the beach. I don’t think I’d want to deal with immigration down there though. Immigration is easier up here by far and I know I’ve done both Bangkok and here before. I’ve been living here for going on 6 years now. 

The beach is great or not so much the beach for me personally but the ocean. 1-200m meters swimming from shore and its yes simply freedom. :smile:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

It does not make any sense.    There are more local Thais in Phuket than there are tourists.  Curfew all or none

Not sure this make any more sense because following resident friends in Pattaya, Koh Chang etc.,. restaurants (not bars) is still allowed to be open as long as the management take precautions, i.e. keep guest in distance from each other, clean and disinfect the restaurant and provide both alcohole gel for hand cleansing and hygienic restrooms. Well I guess its another Corona here.....????

• Like 1