A message for British Nationals in Thailand from British Ambassador Brian Davidson

7 minutes ago, BRUFC said:

I looked on the gov.uk site just now. UK have told all those visitors in the UK that visa extensions/ leave of stay, can be extended just by email with the extension being granted within 5 days. I've emailed the Embassy asking whether they are negotiating for reciprocal treatment for us Brits.

Nice try and best of luck. It might draw attention if a few more people do the same and email with the same question.

i for one am beginning to worry about having to renew my extension at CW In a few weeks from now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BRUFC said:

I looked on the gov.uk site just now. UK have told all those visitors in the UK that visa extensions/ leave of stay, can be extended just by email with the extension being granted within 5 days. I've emailed the Embassy asking whether they are negotiating for reciprocal treatment for us Brits.

Good initiative. It would also help immigration by lifting the pressure off them. Anther good idea would be to emulate Indonesia by having a moratorium on extensions and collect the fees retrospectively on final departure.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Interesting advising people to register if they need to return home....maybe they have mercy flights planned...And for all those that have knocked the Embassy, when the <deleted> hits the fan, they have been doing a fantastic job of keeping everyone updated. Kudos to them

Mercy flights don't make me laugh, they will not do anything other than give advice, most of which is already known

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

27 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Mercy flights don't make me laugh, they will not do anything other than give advice, most of which is already known

The advice given by the Embassy is then picked up by media, not the other way round. London City Airport has been designated to the military, of course for transporting domestic patients but for those Brits stuck here, I feel its a strong possibility they won't be left out to dry.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

Interesting advising people to register if they need to return home....maybe they have mercy flights planned...And for all those that have knocked the Embassy, when the <deleted> hits the fan, they have been doing a fantastic job of keeping everyone updated. Kudos to them

I was going to say... are we heading toward government evacuation flights of stranded Brit tourists out of Thailand?  Is it coming to that???

46 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I was going to say... are we heading toward government evacuation flights of stranded Brit tourists out of Thailand?  Is it coming to that???

No, not while the 'stranded Brit tourists' are desperately flitting from forum thread to immigration Office seeking to stay here at all costs.

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It would seem the obvious answer for stranded tourists.

Not all that expensive, and good practise for the military.

10 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

They haven't? Really?

THAILANDCOVID-19.jpg.3144b7138b606b2b79b6776c7c46e920.jpg

Does that notice tell me ANYTHING about how embassy officials will assist me to get back to Australia if need be, or provide support letters for extensions to visas? No.

It's just as well I don't need their help. Odds are pretty good others do.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It would seem the obvious answer for stranded tourists.

Not all that expensive, and good practise for the military.

Suggested yesterday. If UK Gov truly wants people home and airlines won't help, then the government, with the RAF, could still assist or even use its own transport. They already organized a repatriation from Cuba.  

https://www.raf.mod.uk/news/articles/raf-assist-repatriation-flight-of-british-citizens-from-cuba/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Good initiative. It would also help immigration by lifting the pressure off them. Anther good idea would be to emulate Indonesia by having a moratorium on extensions and collect the fees retrospectively on final departure.

The treatment of foreigners by the Thai government and in particular the Immigration police is atrocious. Being forced to queue with 100's of people in confined areas and then being told to come back tomorrow is pathetic and shows no Buddhist compassion. Thai citizens in foreign countries are being treated like people , we are being treated like cattle. I am now convinced that they don't want us here.

All one high and mighty police official I saw quoted, can say is that, if you overstay you will be fined 500 baht a day. Is that it? We already knew that.

If I wasn't married to a Thai woman I would be gone from the LOS, Land of <deleted>. I keep telling myself it's not the people, it's the bureacracy and government. Sometimes the message doesn't get thru.

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

Suggested yesterday. If UK Gov truly wants people home and airlines won't help, then the government, with the RAF, could still assist or even use its own transport. They already organized a repatriation from Cuba.  

https://www.raf.mod.uk/news/articles/raf-assist-repatriation-flight-of-british-citizens-from-cuba/

Those that need to get home should already be monitoring The Embassy announcements and register without delay...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GordyS said:

Why is he and the UK not putting pressure on the Thai govt regarding making people stand in queues for visas in BKK

They are risking their lives to do so!

They could have left in time. Nobody can say they couldn't see it coming.

3 hours ago, Isaan Alan said:

The treatment of foreigners by the Thai government and in particular the Immigration police is atrocious. Being forced to queue with 100's of people in confined areas and then being told to come back tomorrow is pathetic and shows no Buddhist compassion. Thai citizens in foreign countries are being treated like people , we are being treated like cattle. I am now convinced that they don't want us here.

All one high and mighty police official I saw quoted, can say is that, if you overstay you will be fined 500 baht a day. Is that it? We already knew that.

If I wasn't married to a Thai woman I would be gone from the LOS, Land of <deleted>. I keep telling myself it's not the people, it's the bureacracy and government. Sometimes the message doesn't get thru.

maybe the Immigration officials (and other Thai offocials) do "occasionally" visit Thai Visa forum and read the many cynical and offensive comments about Thailand, Thai ppl, and Thai officials....AND ARE NOT AMUSED BY IT. 

Its called "what comes around goes around" aka "karma" or "when you want ppl to smile at you, you start smiling first."

Anyway, your "LOS, Land of >deleted<" remark is a perfect example of the arrogant farang.

So these Thai officials are dealing with an emergency, working overtime and stressed out. Its not their fault there is a long line. For you its one stressed day, for them its day after day stress. 

HAVE SOME UNDERSTANDING AND COMPASSION FOR THE PROFFESIONALS WHO ARE DEALING WITH THIS CRISIS. Next time give the official a smile. too much to ask? Dont accuse somebody of lack of compassion while you yourself exibit ZERO compassion yourself. They are people, not your punchbags. Lets be more compassionate and understanding ourselves, not "demanding" it from other ppl.

Edited by herwin1234
spelling misstakes
  • Thanks 1