A message for British Nationals in Thailand from British Ambassador Brian Davidson

3 hours ago, herwin1234 said:

maybe the Immigration officials (and other Thai offocials) do "occasionally" visit Thai Visa forum and read the many cynical and offensive comments about Thailand, Thai ppl, and Thai officials....AND ARE NOT AMUSED BY IT. 

Its called "what comes around goes around" aka "karma" or "when you want ppl to smile at you, you start smiling first."

Anyway, your "LOS, Land of >deleted<" remark is a perfect example of the arrogant farang.

So these Thai officials are dealing with an emergency, working overtime and stressed out. Its not their fault there is a long line. For you its one stressed day, for them its day after day stress. 

HAVE SOME UNDERSTANDING AND COMPASSION FOR THE PROFFESIONALS WHO ARE DEALING WITH THIS CRISIS. Next time give the official a smile. too much to ask? Dont accuse somebody of lack of compassion while you yourself exibit ZERO compassion yourself. They are people, not your punchbags. Lets be more compassionate and understanding ourselves, not "demanding" it from other ppl.

I don't buy any of that. Thai tourists stuck in Western countries are not being treated like Thailand is doing. Also I see that Indonesia has just given everyone an extension without the need to risk infection to tourists and staff in crowded offices. The karma will be visited on the officials who have planned and executed this pathetic system. I smile at a lot of Thai people, and they smile back.  As I said, my beef was with the bureaucracy. In fact the front line workers don't want to be in the danger zone but their bosses don't care about them either.

Read the story in the press about 1000's being forced to queue and then being turned away and told to come back tomorrow. Just give a blanket extension and no one is forced to get infected. But Thai officials don't listen to farang suggestions. For example to overturn the ludicrous out-of-date TM28 address notification took a year.

Edited by Isaan Alan

22 hours ago, nauseus said:

I already said "if airlines won't help".

There has been offers of help. It was on the news yesterday that Ryanair had offered the whole fleet for rescue flights and I believe Easyjet had offered some aircraft last week. Not sure if these 2 could handle the long haul flights. 

The only UK based airline that normally does long haul has been relatively quiet on the subject.

Hey 10 out of 10 from me, clear precise messaging delivered, online systems set up in place to deal with different requests and what and how each is used for.

How dam refreshing maybe the Thai Government could learn a lot from how to get accurate and clear messaging out to people instead of the normal confused BS they put out.

Come on Aussie Embassy how about following suite and doing the same as UK have done ............

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

There has been offers of help. It was on the news yesterday that Ryanair had offered the whole fleet for rescue flights and I believe Easyjet had offered some aircraft last week. Not sure if these 2 could handle the long haul flights. 

The only UK based airline that normally does long haul has been relatively quiet on the subject.

Well there is another one (hi there Richard) plus some charter firms that do long haul, like TUI who have flown into Thailand recently. Where there is a will there is a way, especially as money seems to be no object for so many other thing and people in need right now.

On 3/26/2020 at 12:13 PM, baansgr said:

Interesting advising people to register if they need to return home....maybe they have mercy flights planned...And for all those that have knocked the Embassy, when the <deleted> hits the fan, they have been doing a fantastic job of keeping everyone updated. Kudos to them

updated? first ive heard

15 hours ago, nauseus said:

Well there is another one (hi there Richard) plus some charter firms that do long haul, like TUI who have flown into Thailand recently. Where there is a will there is a way, especially as money seems to be no object for so many other thing and people in need right now.

I don't know if ownership would be an issue if the government wanted to use aircraft that had not been offered. BA is a European owned airline whereas Virgin is more than 50% owned by Delta Airlines. It is a factor that has caused concern over support for airlines.

I would certainly agree with your point that with the RAF there is more than sufficient resources available so it can only be a management problem, not a strong point with UK bureaucracy.

17 hours ago, Postmaster said:

From what my kids are saying above the Covid 19 situation in the UK you are probably better off languishing here as far as I can make out and if you can afford to do so.

It would have certainly have been considered, about a week and a half ago perhaps, but I would not going to a crowed immigration for an extension. So if unconditional, 90 day extension. Secondly the travel insurance (for everything else) would expire the end of April.

Other than that, probably a 50/50 flip a coin situation.

As it is the Son and I, will be going to board our second flight in about 10mins, to arrive in the UK in about 8 hours time!

Edited by UKresonant

On 3/26/2020 at 8:27 AM, GordyS said:

Why is he and the UK not putting pressure on the Thai govt regarding making people stand in queues for visas in BKK

They are risking their lives to do so!

Totally agree and the UK Government has extended all UK Visas for Foreigners until 31 May 2020.  Why is Thailand incapable of thinking outside the box like this.  Perhaps if people sue the Thai Government for making them stand in queues and then getting Coronor Virus, they might wake up?  Love the Country and the People, but the Government, sorry to say is third rate.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Postmaster said:

From what my kids are saying above the Covid 19 situation in the UK you are probably better off languishing here as far as I can make out and if you can afford to do so.

Britain is doing as well as can be with 700,000 volunteers marshalled and ready to help and 10 mega hospitals being equipped as we speak and a bailout for all levels of society and a NHS free at the point of need. We will do well hence the name 'Great' Britain. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

I don't know if ownership would be an issue if the government wanted to use aircraft that had not been offered. BA is a European owned airline whereas Virgin is more than 50% owned by Delta Airlines. It is a factor that has caused concern over support for airlines.

I would certainly agree with your point that with the RAF there is more than sufficient resources available so it can only be a management problem, not a strong point with UK bureaucracy.

The RAF aircraft are a possibility but even the RAF themselves have long-term wet lease arrangements with 3rd companies for the transport of some personnel, so I would imagine some one-off short-term leasing would be feasible. 

3 hours ago, nauseus said:

The RAF aircraft are a possibility but even the RAF themselves have long-term wet lease arrangements with 3rd companies for the transport of some personnel, so I would imagine some one-off short-term leasing would be feasible. 

I used to be stationed at Brize Norton. Humans were known as self loading cargo and we used to handle civilians fairly regularly, but the RAF was a lot stronger in those days in that they still operated passenger aircraft. Transporters only ever had limited number of passenger seats, not sure on the current fleet.

They used a Spanish airline for the Wuhan and Japan evacuations so I fail to see why the BA aircraft that are idle cannot be used.

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I used to be stationed at Brize Norton. Humans were known as self loading cargo and we used to handle civilians fairly regularly, but the RAF was a lot stronger in those days in that they still operated passenger aircraft. Transporters only ever had limited number of passenger seats, not sure on the current fleet.

They used a Spanish airline for the Wuhan and Japan evacuations so I fail to see why the BA aircraft that are idle cannot be used.

I'm sure they could be. Maybe they charge too much? 

7 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I'm sure they could be. Maybe they charge too much? 

Highly likely, the largest single shareholder is Qatar Airways, who are as far as I understand are still operating flights to the UK at highly inflated prices.

5 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Highly likely, the largest single shareholder is Qatar Airways, who are as far as I understand are still operating flights to the UK at highly inflated prices.

Ah ha!

fio...Foreign secretary Dominic Raab has announced a £75m plan to repatriate as many as 60,000 British travellers stranded overseas.

After negotiations with airlines, Mr Raab announced a partnership agreement under which VirginEasyJet, Jet2 and Titan have signed a memorandum of understanding to help bring back UK nationals, while British Airways says it will work with the government “in the national interest” to get people home.https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-british-tourists-flights-raab-cases-deaths-latest-a9436361.html