Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

Accused New Zealand mosque shooter pleads guilty to 51 murders, terrorism

Recommended Posts

Accused New Zealand mosque shooter pleads guilty to 51 murders, terrorism

By Praveen Menon

 

2020-03-25T225722Z_2_LYNXMPEG2O2LY_RTROPTP_3_NEWZEALAND-SHOOTING.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Brenton Tarrant, charged for murder in relation to the mosque attacks, is seen in the dock during his appearance in the Christchurch District Court, New Zealand March 16, 2019. Mark Mitchell/New Zealand Herald/Pool via REUTERS

 

WELLINGTON (Reuters) - A suspected white supremacist accused of killing 51 Muslim worshippers in New Zealand's worst mass shooting changed his plea to guilty in a surprise move on Thursday.

 

Brenton Tarrant, who appeared by video link, admitted to 51 charges of murder, 40 charges of attempted murder and one charge of committing a terrorist act in a hastily called Christchurch High Court hearing.

 

"He has been convicted of each and every one of those charges," presiding judge Justice Cameron Mander said in minutes of the hearing released by the court.

 

"The entry of guilty pleas represents a very significant step towards bringing finality to this criminal proceeding," Justice Mander said.

 

Tarrant has been in police custody since March 15, 2019, when he was arrested and accused of using semi-automatic weapons to target Muslims attending Friday prayers at two mosques in Christchurch. The attack was streamed live on Facebook.

 

Tarrant, a 29-year-old Australian, had previously pleaded not guilty to all charges.

 

Justice Mander said there was now no need for the six week trial that was previously due to begin on June 2.

 

The court will now sentence Tarrant on all 92 charges, but did not provide a date for that sentencing. Tarrant was remanded in custody until May 1.

 

Due to a nationwide lockdown in place for the coronavirus outbreak, Thursday's court hearing took place with just 17 people in the courtroom, which included minimal staff, lawyers and some local media. An Iman for each of the two mosques attacked were also allowed to attend the hearing.

 

New Zealand announced a nationwide lockdown starting on Thursday, to combat the spread of coronavirus.

 

The court placed a one-hour embargo on reporting the news in order to inform family members and victims about what had taken place before it was made public.

 

"The guilty plea today will provide some relief to the many people whose lives were shattered by what happened on March 15,” Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said in a statement.

 

"These guilty pleas and conviction bring accountability for what happened and also save the families who lost loved ones, those who were injured, and other witnesses, the ordeal of a trial," she said.

 

(Reporting by Praveen Menon; Editing by Jane Wardell and Lincoln Feast.)

 

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-26

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This guy should have been permanantly put to sleep already. Ironically if he gets Covid-19 he will have better med care than most of us. Ridiculous.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, dexterm said:

It's just dawned on him that if he pleads guilty he may not get life without parole... the chance of a few twilight years of freedom...something he denied his victims then bragged about it.

I hope they throw away the key.

Quite possible you're correct. One hopes the guy will receive a sentence of life without parole. However, it may be the case prosecutors agreed reduced sentence so the victims families don't have to listen to the details required if the guy pleaded not guilty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he is all in, for the free food and lodgings...

 

the best part, for him; is he'll remain safe, if he gets his silent wish, for going into Solitary

 

away from the virus 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dexterm said:

It's just dawned on him that if he pleads guilty he may not get life without parole... the chance of a few twilight years of freedom...something he denied his victims then bragged about it.

I hope they throw away the key.

Yeah, usually when you plead guilty you get a lower sentence. In his case, though, they might just make an exception. Hopefully! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never been an advocate for capital punishment but if ever there was a time this is it.

Let him choose his own gun, 4 bullets ,,, knees first, then elbows, 1 hour apart & leave him alone.

That's justice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He will get the maximum available under New Zealand Law. That will be life on for all murder convictions and 3-7 years on each of the attempted Murder charges. Most Murder convictions have been handed down as concurrent. But current law allows for consecutive Sentencing. One would Hope that given the immense gravity of his crimes he gets 51 consecutive life sentences which is at least 663 years. And even if this was not the case He will maybe be given Preventative detention which has no time limit. Some here ask for him to be deported. perhaps his withered old Corpse may be sent back to Australia in 40-50 years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kiwiken said:

He will get the maximum available under New Zealand Law. That will be life on for all murder convictions and 3-7 years on each of the attempted Murder charges. Most Murder convictions have been handed down as concurrent. But current law allows for consecutive Sentencing. One would Hope that given the immense gravity of his crimes he gets 51 consecutive life sentences which is at least 663 years. And even if this was not the case He will maybe be given Preventative detention which has no time limit. Some here ask for him to be deported. perhaps his withered old Corpse may be sent back to Australia in 40-50 years

Don’t want him deported or face corporal punishment. Happy to pay my three cents a year share for the cost to keep him confined for the rest of his life and then to bury him. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Regrettably atrocities against non-muslims in muslim countries are commonplace, yet they receive very little media attention. Why is this ? Churches in Indonesia burned while they are full of Christian Sunday worshipers, around 3 dozen non-muslims killed in 1 day in Aceh Province, burned alive in their cars, hacked to death by parangs (machetes). All very sad 😞

Crikey you are quick off the mark - Breitbart having a quiet day then ? Life ain't binary you know it's not an either or. But thanks for your crocodile tears for Christians being killed but I feel sure you aren't one - prejudiced sort of guy that I am.. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Roadman said:

Don’t want him deported or face corporal punishment. Happy to pay my three cents a year share for the cost to keep him confined for the rest of his life and then to bury him. 

In an unmarked grave....the murdering cowardly cur.

Edited by Odysseus123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, mike787 said:

Don't be too hard on him...jail aint that pretty...

Except he'll be in maximum security for the rest of his pathetic life, no contact with other prisoners, and only Mrs Palmer and her 5 daughters to keep him company. Doubt he'll be allowed or get any visitors. He'll never be released. The only thing missing from this scenario is monthly whippings with a rattan cane.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Regrettably atrocities against non-muslims in muslim countries are commonplace, yet they receive very little media attention. Why is this ? Churches in Indonesia burned while they are full of Christian Sunday worshipers, around 3 dozen non-muslims killed in 1 day in Aceh Province, burned alive in their cars, hacked to death by parangs (machetes). All very sad 😞

Ever read Chomsky? Western media often doesn't take a lot of notice of non Western persons deaths in their home countries. However, the murders you refer to in Indonesia were covered by MSM e.g. BBC, Guardian, ABC. Plus given your knowledge of events you likely know that nearly 200k Indo security forces were deployed to protect Christians.

 

 

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...