Trump says reopen by Easter, Corporate America says not so fast

webfact

7 hours ago, keith101 said:

Trump is more concerned about his re election than peoples lives which is typical of the psychopath that he is , 0 empathy for anyone but himself .

Every president who's ever lived has been more concerned about election than people's lives. If they weren't they probably would not have become president. Now, if there was a voting populace who had a clue things would be different. People get exactly what they deserve. Biden or Trump seems perfectly appropriate. 

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, Logosone said:

Michael T. Osterholm is an American infectious disease epidemiologist, regents professor, and director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota

"Consider the effect of shutting down offices, schools, transportation systems, restaurants, hotels, stores, theaters, concert halls, sporting events and other venues indefinitely and leaving all of their workers unemployed and on the public dole. The likely result would be not just a depression but a complete economic breakdown, with countless permanently lost jobs, long before a vaccine is ready or natural immunity takes hold. We can’t have everyone stay home and still produce and distribute the basics needed to sustain life and fight the disease."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/21/facing-covid-19-reality-national-lockdown-is-no-cure/

I don't think anyone would disagree of  it were to be proposed  as "indefinitely" !

Was it  not  30 days max that was a recommendation?

Trump's decision to re-open the US for business is backed by a large number of eminent scientists.

He is the only leader in the West that appears to have the courage to do what needs to be done.

We will all benefit greatly if this courageous decision is taken to open the US for business.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I don't think anyone would disagree of  it were to be proposed  as "indefinitely" !

Was it  not  30 days max that was a recommendation?

The consensus is that it will take 6 to 10 weeks for social distancing to have any effect, so there would be a number of extensions no doubt if the social distancing fanaticism is slavishly followed.

David L. Katz is an American physician and the founding director of the Yale-Griffin Prevention Research Center:

"I am deeply concerned that the social, economic and public health consequences of this near total meltdown of normal life — schools and businesses closed, gatherings banned — will be long lasting and calamitous, possibly graver than the direct toll of the virus itself. The stock market will bounce back in time, but many businesses never will. The unemployment, impoverishment and despair likely to result will be public health scourges of the first order."

"Worse, I fear our efforts will do little to contain the virus, because we have a resource-constrained, fragmented, perennially underfunded public health system. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/opinion/coronavirus-pandemic-social-distancing.html

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sujo said:

Trump on twitter said he wants the shutdown ended at easter. When asked what he based this on he accused the reporter of fake news.

Trump is a national disaster. the last person we need to lead now

Edited by malibukid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why would corporate America hate Trump. He gave them the biggest tax break in the history of the US.

Again trying to feather his nest and that of Corporate America with the new financial package but was stumped by the democrats that know the reality of life and that every thing does't stop and start by Trump greasing the palms of his family, his republican mates and of course himself.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

It strikes me as suggesting that those at highest risk be mass suicidal martyrs for the sake of the capitalist  ideology .

Is that not very similar to the Islamic  suicide bombers we have all been taught to believe are crazed and deluded  in their extremist  ideology?

Okay then tell me what is the country going to eat if everyone stays home and production/shipping stops? Is that not also suicide? What about electricity, internet, heating companies??

37 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

While so many are understandably scared witless now they are witnessing what Trump casually tried to  brush off as a  "won't happen" and now presenting  the idea of  "never mind" is  not in in his best interests of credibility.

Do you remember in January when Trump put travel restrictions on China? This was opposed by the WHO and the left as "racist, xenophobic, etc".

So the left hasn't been exactly great on this. Look at Nancy holding things up this week while the country is dying.

But of course, the CNN viewers can't see this perspective. All they are taught to do is over-analyze what comes out of Trumps mouth and make a hissy fit about it.

Edited by moldresistant
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

While so many are understandably scared witless now they are witnessing what Trump casually tried to  brush off as a  "won't happen" and now presenting  the idea of  "never mind" is  not in in his best interests of credibility.

It strikes me as suggesting that those at highest risk be mass suicidal martyrs for the sake of the capitalist  ideology .

Is that not very similar to the Islamic  suicide bombers we have all been taught to believe are crazed and deluded  in their extremist  ideology?

Let  Trump volunteer his  life as an example if  he honestly  believes it  will save "his" country!

I suspect the fairly litigious society that the US is will mean stores will stay closed to the public for longer than the donald wants.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

Michael T. Osterholm is an American infectious disease epidemiologist, regents professor, and director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota

"Consider the effect of shutting down offices, schools, transportation systems, restaurants, hotels, stores, theaters, concert halls, sporting events and other venues indefinitely and leaving all of their workers unemployed and on the public dole. The likely result would be not just a depression but a complete economic breakdown, with countless permanently lost jobs, long before a vaccine is ready or natural immunity takes hold. We can’t have everyone stay home and still produce and distribute the basics needed to sustain life and fight the disease."

"We are in uncharted territory. But the best alternative will probably entail letting those at low risk for serious disease continue to work, keep business and manufacturing operating, and “run” society, while at the same time advising higher-risk individuals to protect themselves through physical distancing and ramping up our health-care capacity as aggressively as possible. With this battle plan, we could gradually build up immunity without destroying the financial structure on which our lives are based."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/21/facing-covid-19-reality-national-lockdown-is-no-cure/

Its a minority opinion amongst experts in that field , hence most first world nations not heeding it.

Edited by joecoolfrog
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, moldresistant said:

Okay then tell me what is the country going to eat if everyone stays home and production/shipping stops? Is that not also suicide? What about electricity, internet, heating companies??

Do you remember in January when Trump put travel restrictions on China? This was opposed by the WHO and the left as "racist, xenophobic, etc".

So the left hasn't been exactly great on this. Look at Nancy holding things up this week while the country is dying.

But of course, the CNN viewers can't see this perspective. All they are taught to do is over-analyze what comes out of Trumps mouth and make a hissy fit about it.

I started out to make  a lengthy reply  but have deleted the content.

So instead I will state that I can respect your or others views and opinions but I retain the right to have my own. Similarly I would not or do not believe I should rescind my right to the receipt of justice, medical intervention, or any other services that I had paid for either by taxes or private subscription for the sake of an ideology that primarily in it's own interests suggests I should or by withdrawing the protection of such  services denies me which  would identify a covert totalitarian  regime!

David L. Katz is an American physician and the founding director of the Yale-Griffin Prevention Research Center

"I am deeply concerned that the social, economic and public health consequences of this near total meltdown of normal life — schools and businesses closed, gatherings banned — will be long lasting and calamitous, possibly graver than the direct toll of the virus itself. The stock market will bounce back in time, but many businesses never will. The unemployment, impoverishment and despair likely to result will be public health scourges of the first order."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/opinion/coronavirus-pandemic-social-distancing.html

Open up for business America.

Lead the way.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It was opposed by the WHO. But it wasn't opposed by your so-called "left." In fact, just the opposite, the Left at the time was correctly criticizing Trump for not doing enough, for not taking the CV as a serious threat to the U.S., and for his false and inaccurate, dismissive statements throughout the whole process.

Wrong.

Biden said it was "hysteria and xenophobia" the day after travel restrictions were imposed.

Then you had Pelosi saying it was an "outrageous, un-American travel ban" and "discrimination disguised as policy".

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Logosone said:

Trump is right.

Economic suicide is not the answer. 

The cure can't be worse than the disease.

Let's hope corporate america grows a pair and does what the president suggests.

The sooner the US can proceed to herd immunity the less people will die.

Plenty of medical professionals agree with that Trump is suggesting.

Corporate America can grow three pairs but it's the workers who make the decision to return, or not. 

And even b*lls of brass will not help corporate America if it decides to simply fire workers who choose to not to put themselves and their families at risk of severe sickness or death. 

Loss of income lasts only as long as they are not working. Hospital bills and death lasts considerably longer. What would you do? 

25 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The quote you've used from Biden made no reference to the China travel ban, and in fact just the opposite, criticized Trump for cutting the budgets of public health agencies, which he in fact has done

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/481028-biden-slams-trump-for-cutting-health-programs-before-coronavirus-outbreak

Same in the Reuters report of the time -- not a single mention of the China travel restrictions by Biden.

https://fr.reuters.com/article/credit-rss/idUSL1N2A102G

I watched the video. The "hysterical xenophobia - and fearmongering to lead the way instead of science" part is definitely not referring to health program cuts. Whether it's a response to the travel restrictions at the time or just a general insult is up to anyone's interpretation.

28 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Likewise, the Pelosi comments you're quoting above had nothing to do with Trump's China-coronavirus travel restrictions, but instead, an entirely different issue -- restricting immigrant visas from a series of mostly African countries -- Nigeria, Myanmar, Eritrea, Kyrgyzstan, Sudan and Tanzania.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/480991-pelosi-trumps-expanded-travel-ban-is-outrageous-un-american-and-threatens-rule

Thus in both cases, you've blatantly misrepresented those two politicians comments as related to the China travel restrictions/coronavirus issue, when in fact they were related to an entirely different, separate issue, Trump's continuing efforts to restrict legal immigration to the U.S. from countries that, at the time, had nothing to do with the coronavirus outbreak.

I wouldn't say nothing to do with it - it's the "expanded" travel ban. And it was Trump's response to the outbreak, adding a few more countries that didn't meet national security requirements.

Trump has explained that the Easter date is not definite and it might be certain areas opening up sooner than others.

But the left won't hear that.

What would the Do Nothing Democrats do if their electricity stopped working, the gas stations closed, food markets shut down, post office closed?

There's a lot of people that need to go to work in order for it all to come together. From the manufacturers, distributors, shops, restaurants, delivery services employees along with the services that they require in order to keep working. Add it all together and there's no way a lockdown can last very long.

6 minutes ago, moldresistant said:

Trump has explained that the Easter date is not definite and it might be certain areas opening up sooner than others.

Not surprisingly, you simply mischaracterized both of those two politicians comments when they clearly were on a subject unrelated to the China coronavirus travel restrictions. But don't fret, you're certainly following in the muddy footsteps of your hero.

58 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Corporate America can grow three pairs but it's the workers who make the decision to return, or not. 

And even b*lls of brass will not help corporate America if it decides to simply fire workers who choose to not to put themselves and their families at risk of severe sickness or death. 

Loss of income lasts only as long as they are not working. Hospital bills and death lasts considerably longer. What would you do? 

I would go to work to earn money, if I had to do that, to feed the family, because I have balls of steel.

However, I should imagine most wives will tell their husbands to go out and earn the money, because one thing's for certain, two thing's for sure: starvation's not a cure. Most families will need money in these times.

The economic imperative will compel the workers to return.

And no employer, or few, will act irresponsibly, they will consider the health of their workers, if they die who will dig the trench after all, but companies do have an economic imperative too. All this nonsense that 'corporate america' refuses to go  back to work is just that nonsense. A few companies have just said they will consider the health of their employees and customers, which is sensible. However, through this orange haze of panic the medical truth will shine through like a beacon of hope, that the death rate is around 0.3-0.5 % and will affect mostly those over 80.

Right now it's hard to talk sense to a herd of panicked buffalos, but eventually common sense will return. American business will re-open. And sooner than we think hopefully.

Edited by Logosone

26 minutes ago, moldresistant said:

What would the Do Nothing Democrats do if their electricity stopped working, the gas stations closed, food markets shut down, post office closed?

There's a lot of people that need to go to work in order for it all to come together. From the manufacturers, distributors, shops, restaurants, delivery services employees along with the services that they require in order to keep working. Add it all together and there's no way a lockdown can last very long.

Are the democrats saying that essential services should not be maintained?

I’m assuming that must be the case, as the question suggests that you think that they would shutdown completely... much as India is doing

11 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Not surprisingly, you simply mischaracterized both of those two politicians comments when they clearly were on a subject unrelated to the China coronavirus travel restrictions. But don't fret, you're certainly following in the muddy footsteps of your hero.

No they were both directly related to it. I explained that in the comment you quoted.

And who slowed down the relief fund? The Democrats sure aren't showing they're any better. But of course it's all Trumps fault as usual for them. Seems like all anybody wants to do is point fingers.

Back to the main point: People need to go back to work soon in order for the country to survive.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1