Bangkok Bank ATM'S

jonesthepost

1 hour ago, Swiss1960 said:

Yes, they should work, they identified the problem yesterday. From a well know newspaper:

I haven't tried an ATM today but the mobile app that was overloaded yesterday is working fine today.

And the micropayment/fund raisers might be plausible as it was probably done through the mobile app? The site via the PC web browser worked all the time.

An interesting new danger on the net:

denial of service attack by fundraiser :biggrin:

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, jonesthepost said:

The question was are they working today  

Are you aware that for withdrawals you can use other banks ATM without a fee for four times a month?

(provided that not the complete payment network "ATM pool" is broken down)

If there is a queue at one ATM I go to another one.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Are you aware that for withdrawals you can use other banks ATM without a fee for four times a month?

That's good to know.  Thanks.

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Not if you only had a BKB card yesterday, the entire BKB system refused to work.

Bank book in branch was the only option.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Not if you only had a BKB card yesterday, the entire BKB system refused to work.

I see, makes sense if BKB doesn't respond on the network.

All "domestic" ATM transactions are online.

Edited by KhunBENQ

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I never did understand why you need the bank book to withdraw funds but not to deposit them?

Why isn't the debit card sufficient with valid ID?

19 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

I never did understand why you need the bank book to withdraw funds but not to deposit them?

Why isn't the debit card sufficient with valid ID?

You should be the VP of Treasury for one of the world's largest banks.  Then you can fix the problems you find.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, jonesthepost said:

The question was are they working today  

The signs on the ATMs from yesterday were removed.  They were already working from yesterday afternoon around 15:30 or so.    And the mobile app was working shortly after that.

But yesterday there was a problem with their mobile app.  Internet banking via full desktop browser page allowed you to login and check some things.  But interbank transfers turned up an error that they were unavailable.   ATMs were down also.

Other banks were working fine.

And I was able to go into the branch to withdrawal with passport and passbook.   I cannot remember the last time I did that, lol.   So used to doing everything at ATM / CDM / mobile/internet banking.

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

This bank is no longer worthy of my trust.

Is that to say that no other major Thai bank could have found themselves in a similar position?

It was an inconvenience.  But not insurmountable.    It could have happened to any Thai bank or any bank really.    It's pretty rare for the error to be such that the atm card could not be used at a 3rd party bank.   

The best option would be to have bank accts with at least 2-3 different Thai banks.   You have a primary bank you use most often, but then a backup/secondary bank to cover the things the primary bank cant/doesn't do or do well.

• Like 2

Last Tuesday Bangkok Bank Mee Chok branch ATM would not accept a foreign debit card. Bank teller did not no why the debit card was being refused and could not even use the card and my passport to withdraw cash. Went to Kasikorn and the foreign debit card worked fine

21 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Are all banks 4 times a month? someone mentioned before it's 2 times

Edited by scubascuba3

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Are all banks 4 times a month? someone mentioned before it's 2 times

100% sure for Bangkok Bank:

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Digital-Banking/Self-Services/Bualuang-ATM/ATM-Fees

Withdrawal or balance check using another bank’s ATM within a region

Free for 1-4 transactions a month.10 baht from the 5th transaction onwards

Only 2(!) for Kasikorn.

https://kasikornbank.com/en/rate/fee/ChargesDoc/ServicingFees_en_11032020.pdf

Useless SCB site. Misc attempts to find a proper list of fees to no avail.

I will look for more proof...

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

they had the same problem a few weeks ago. Tried 3 different bkk atms. none worked. went over to a siam commercial one 2 meters away, used my bkk card in it. worked fine. They're having some traffic problems occasionally it would seem on the volume on their atm network. But the fact that the siam commercial atms can get through to the bkk server means the problem is in their (bkk bank) atm network servers, not their main bank servers.

Also did an int'l transfer last night from my US bank to my bkk bank to test. worked fine. received in 15 hours from when I sent from my US bank.  

Also tried my US debit/atm card 3 days ago as a test. Again, no problems.

This a biological/medical crisis, not a banking crisis. Not a famine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rama said:

But government should just postpone/stop such high burden actions like the PEA/MEA meter refund or some "micro payment fund raiser" at this critical time.

1 hour ago, Rama said:

Problems tend to snowball.

First the virus, then unemployment ........ followed by .......... fuel shortages, banking failures, power outages, civil unrest then famine, war and death.

Edited by BritManToo

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Problems tend to snowball.

First the virus, then unemployment ........ followed by .......... fuel shortages, banking failures, power outages, civil unrest then famine, war and death.

Maybe even no access to Thai Visa anymore. 

On 3/26/2020 at 7:38 PM, dingdongrb said:

Not just the Bangkok Bank ATMs but the CDMs as well.

I was in the process of depositing 48k THB, the machine took my money, came up and displayed a 'Communications Error', and then spit out my card without opening up and giving me my money back.

I waited in queue for about 25 minutes to see a teller and check if my deposit was made to my account. I was told it didn't and to have a seat.

I waited another 20 minutes for them to open up the machine to see in fact that I did deposit some money. They confirmed they saw I deposited some money. I asked how much did they see and they replied they saw 48k THB.

Then I was told to fill out some paperwork as it had to be sent to BKK and cleared up by them. I was told that it would take a day or two. This occurred Wednesday around noon and just checking online moments ago (Thursday 7 pm) I still haven't seen my money deposited into my account.

Overall, around 1 hr of my time for this BS.......  ahhhh modern technology is great but goes to hell quickly.

Checking this morning I see my 48k had been deposited....  ????