Foreigners and locals in Thailand told to STAY INDOORS

webfact

that would be good if Thai people understood what the meaning of the request/social distancing/self quarantine....one of my neighbors had all family members/relatives/friends (maybe +/- 15 people) stopping by and have a party, all together (young & older) enjoying themselves, they started to split half hour ago, that's called staying in doors

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, expat1010 said:

Kind of like closing the old proverbial barn door after the horse named Covid-19 has already pulled a runner. Should have closed it back in January or February or even early March. At this point herd immunity is now the default strategy for Thailand. 

It's a very costly strategy. The SEIR model ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compartmental_models_in_epidemiology ) gives us some estimation of how costly.

Taking some guesstimates for R0 (2.2) and CFR (3.86% because of meltdown of the health system where hospitalizations would exceed 5.76M) and applying the SEIR model (the dials have steps so population is the closest I could get to Thailand, initial infections only move the distribution along the time axis):

http://gabgoh.github.io/COVID/index.html

Capture.thumb.JPG.bfd51e5dca7ea3a0101340e3136cd30a.JPG

Here's where I found the link to the calculator from: https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

EDIT: These lockdowns and social distancing measures indicate that is not what they are going for. Which is wise.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, drbeach said:

Yep. The lengths the Thai government and people go to maintaining an 'us vs. them' mentality by consistently making distinctions between Thais and foreigners is getting on all our nerves. Thailand needs a good dose of political correctness and leftist indoctrination, not this racist BS they've been getting away with for so long. The world we're heading into is going to be more multicultural, about time Thailand gets with the times instead of living in the 18th century.

I can't remember the last time any American government directive or business or just any individual made a distinction between American citizens and foreigners. It just doesn't happen.

Like those bad Hombres from over the border, Chinese virus and the police can obviously get away with shooting black people, apert from that all is well in redneck land.

I love that visas/immigration has been lumped in there with "essential" behaviors like eating and buying medicine. In other words, don't go out unless it is to do things that will keep you alive... oh, and don't forget that 90 day report. 

Thais take this immigration stuff seriously. More serious than human life i would have to say. 

Edited by utalkin2me
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, joecoolfrog said:

Mike

Lets be frank , it is not common sense to state there are only 1000 infections . There will in all probability be millions infected though very many of these may well have minor or no symptoms.

That just means we have even less to worry about. It would mean the actual death rate of the virus is incredibly low

• Like 1

I'm going to send a link so others can see what's been happening for a long time now. Many single moms going to the big city to work and send money home to grandparents who are "raising" their children. This was back in 2014.There are millions more now . Now with this

crisis,they'll have to come home and some will bring the disease home to their parents and put them in dire risk,especially if they have existing health issues. Communal water glass and sticky rice sharing,without fully understanding what will happen. This was years ago,and there are millions more now. https://www.unicef.org/media/media_73914.html

Edited by fredwiggy
Addition

5 hours ago, stouricks said:

Does this mean that I am not supposed to be sitting on my balcony overlooking a forest, no-one else in sight, only the birds in the trees and the chickens running around? What a load of cobblers.

Stay away from other people who you do not know where they've been or in contact with. Wash hands every time you touch something. And to keep others happy, wear that mask.The Man in the Iron Mask.jpg

If you can’t interpret basic instructions then I would give the balcony a miss and go sit in your toy room instead!

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Not really, how about if we need go go out to eat.

Golf Clubs? Pattaya? Sattahip?

Exercise?

Cook at home or see if there is delivery available. Exercise in the home. We have a stationary bike....or do situps. Please don't be selfish. If you go out, you pose a danger to those around you.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ianezy0 said:

If you can’t interpret basic instructions then I would give the balcony a miss and go sit in your toy room instead!

What are you on about. The headline, basic instructions, says STAY INDOORS. Which part of that do YOU not understand?

And as I replied in a previous post, my question was supposed to be a joke, you know, funny, not serious.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

If we could know the motivations of the governor ....
And why foreigners and not Thai people?

If we could have read the next paragraph perhaps he would have told us!

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The governor’s request came after large numbers of foreign tourists had been seen congregating and drinking on Patong Beach in recent evenings.

See how easy that was?

Edited by metempsychotic

1 minute ago, elektrified said:

Cook at home or see if there is delivery available. Exercise in the home. We have a stationary bike....or do situps. Please don't be selfish. If you go out, you pose a danger to those around you.

But there are not supposed to be any of those around you. We are ALL supposed to STAY INDOORS.

34 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

That's genius. Exactly the kind of innovation that's needed.

India...I queued in similar squares a few hours ago. I think they were a bit closer than the picture here.

My son lives in a village in the Buriram area and yesterday a neighbour held a party attended by around 100 people and monks just because grandma wasn't feeling well. He had to stop his Thai wife for attending and then some of the partygoers wanted to visit his house. One said that as hand gel contained 70% alcohol drinking Thai whisky would protect them instead. This is the village mindset in many villages which will be very difficult to change even with Mr Prayut in charge.

5 hours ago, bestie said:

People are advised to stay indoors apart from going to the supermarket, pharmacy or carrying out some other essential business such as banking or immigration and that social distancing should be practiced at all times.

I stay now indoors 99% of the time. But it's impossible to keep social distance especially if we have to go to the immigration.

I have no car so normally I have to take the minivan and motorbike taxi to drive one hour to the immigration. Last time, on the way to the immigration I counted the people which are in close contact me in the minivan. (around 30 people going in and out ONE way. ) One woman was in front sneezing and coughing.At the immigration there wasn't so much people but again we still have contact with some. So I'm ok with social distancing and to stay indoors but Im guess many people do it with the minivan, the only solution I see is to take private taxi and hope that the immigration center is not full, because it's kind of useless if you stay indoors for 3 Month and then you come with around 50- 100people on one day in contact. 

And how often do you go to "the immigration"?

Lots still out and about in my locality but the village markets stopped a few days ago. OMG have to actually cook something at home. My wife aghast! The only person who normally does any cooking is me and that is western style of course!

24 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

And how often do you go to "the immigration"?

Hi

I'm on an ED Visa.  I have to go after 3 Month but I get a stamp "Application of stay is under consideration"  I have to visit the office again after 14days to get onother stamp "that my stay is permitted up to"  to get the rest of the 90days. 

So 2 x in 3 Month.

• Like 1