Thailand reports 111 new coronavirus infections, for total of 1,045

Jonathan Fairfield

9 minutes ago, CLW said:

Because Thailand is still behind the development of infection of these countries by how many weeks? 2 or 3? 

Let's talk again in the near future about your opinion.

Thailand had it's first infection on 13/01. That was way before South-Korea and Japan. I'm not saying Thailand is doing better because of measurements taken. Thailand is just doing better because Covid-19 doesn't seem to gain ground in tropical/warm climates. Hence the low death rate and infection rate of all countries globally around and below the equator. 

Just now, FarFlungFalang said:

Just wondering how you know this as there are reports that up to 50%-70% maybe asymptomatic and testing people for antibodies hasn't begun and the experts are saying it's to early to make assumptions about what is happening.Is there any factual scientific data you can point to to support your claim?

Statistics. Thailand had it's first case on 13/01, yet the hospitals are still empty and only one reported death. Compare that to Japans numbers. 

I cannot imagine anymore factual data than that.

18 minutes ago, Eibot said:

Statistics. Thailand had it's first case on 13/01, yet the hospitals are still empty and only one reported death. Compare that to Japans numbers. 

I cannot imagine anymore factual data than that.

There are at least 900 people being treated in hospitals in Thailand and a few hundred more are awaiting test results. Covid infections have resulted in 4 deaths already. 

Thailand is gonna be up to Japan's numbers this week. 

Thailand is experiencing the second wave of infections that have been brought in from Europe.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, CLW said:

Because Thailand is still behind the development of infection of these countries by how many weeks? 2 or 3? 

Let's talk again in the near future about your opinion.

Thailand was the very first infected country outside China.   That was 9-10 weeks ago. 

Japan and S Korea were the second and third infected countries outside China.   

These three had been on that global virus list for over two months.  

Edited by sscc
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, garrya said:

There are at least 900 people being treated in hospitals in Thailand and a few hundred more are awaiting test results. Covid infections have resulted in 4 deaths already. 

Thailand is gonna be up to Japan's numbers this week. 

Thailand is experiencing the second wave of infections that have been brought in from Europe.

4 death already? You mean merely 4 death (very sad ofcourse). The hospitalization rate/infection rate and death rate is not exponentially the same as in Japan an/or South-Korea, let alone Europe. You see similar numbers in Singapore, Indonesia, Philippines, Brazil, India, Australia etc. 

It spreads but does not seem to do it at the exponential rate that makes it a potential disaster. Governments don't take any risks because if it does spread at those rates, it will be potential deadly for a far greater % of the population due to the lack of healthcare.

Hospital inpatient numbers for people with COVID type symptoms increased almost 12% in just one day from the 24th to 25th, according to MoPH statistics:

24th -- 5357

25th --5985

1828992772_2020-03-2615_01_59.jpg.23ef2a5e636418371b4fbb3e4d0e31bd.jpg

That's 3587 patients in government hospitals, and 2398 in private hospitals -- patients under investigation for coronavirus.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/file/situation/situation-no82-250363.pdf

The same statistic had more than doubled from a week ago Tuesday to Tuesday earlier this week.

Also, the govt reported number on patients with serious/critical condition rose from 4 to 7 as of the 25th.

How long at those kinds of growth rates before the Thai hospital system effectively maxes out its ability to provide meaningful care for these people?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Bars are closed, many Restaurants are serving only  take away foods, not allowed to sit outside minimarts,   But Markets on every busy Soi   on Pattaya Darkside  have hundreds of people   still shopping, whats the point  of closures if this is allowed..

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

But the numbers of those actually reported as having Covid-19 defy the true numbers they possibly have, and the percentage of verified infections seem to be on the low end.  However, it all comes down to the actual number of tests carried out, and the results being verified and reported instead of being sat on, and are reported as inpatient numbers for people with COVID type symptoms.  Why can't all those suspected of having the virus be tested and the backlog cleared.  I know that testing and verifying the results takes some time, but they seem to be extra slow in doing this and appear to be less than transparent, but then I  think all governments have their own problems....Just thinking out loud, which has always gotten me into trouble......inside voice please stay inside.....

They should keep testing, but everyone who should be tested won't be. We will never know the true number of those infected so I just assume everyone has it and act accordingly. As others have said so far it seems that while tropical climates may not slow infection rates it results in less severe cases. The low number of deaths is one of the best indications of that. Even if the actual death rate is 10 times higher than what's reported that's still very low relatively speaking. Mass deaths would be very hard to hide so I don't think it's happening. I'm not saying it's time to go back to bars and communal meals but this theory makes sense to me so far.

22 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

How long at those kinds of growth rates before the Thai hospital system effectively maxes out its ability to provide meaningful care for these people?

It was already near overload before the coronavirus arrived: https://www.krungsri.com/bank/getmedia/587ccdaa-91a8-4305-a86f-30ea43558f0b/IO_Private_Hospital_190624_EN_EX.aspx

However, although state hospitals may be found across the
country, their ability to serve patients is limited in some
locations, as can be seen from the following: (i) The bed
occupancy rate3/ is high and in some areas is close to or over
100%. At present, the occupancy rate stands at 103% in Satun,
98% in Loei, 96% in Phuket, Mukdahan and Surat Thani, and 94%
in Udon Thani and Pathum Thani, so it appears that at least in
some areas, the supply of government hospital beds is
insufficient to meet demand; and (ii) Outpatients typically face
long waits before being seen by a healthcare professional

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

At least they went up a bit from the standard 105 or so. Can somebody check the diagnosis backlog, 5k plus now?

Looks like 5285 as of the 25th, up from 4754 the day before.

Tuner, was it you or someone else here who said they had figured out how MoPH was calculating the backlog number...using some combo of other numbers they're reporting?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

3 hours ago, kevin612 said:

Prayut said ‘everything is under control’ months ago, and now cases exceeded 1000. No masks to the public, I am super disappointed how he runs the government.

Oh really, that is a constrained performance appraisal 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Looks like 5285 as of the 25th, up from 4754 the day before.

Tuner, was it you or someone else here who said they had figured out how MoPH was calculating the backlog number...using some combo of other numbers they're reporting?

It was one of the other members, a fairly simple formula. Unfortunately I post so much it's buried somewhere deep in my posting history. I'll try to look it up.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, rtco said:

If you believe the "official" figures ... yeah sure!!!

Are they hospitals overrun? Are Thais hiding death people? Because if they are truly doing worst than SK or Japan, it should be flowing dead bodies all over the place.

4 hours ago, Drax said:

Non-resident wouldn’t be accurate. More like, non permanent resident status / work permit. Some people hold work permits and aren’t residents as been under 6 months here while some people on marriage visa are residents as lived for years and even pay taxes.

on positive side at least cases not going up. Hope everyone stays home and contributes to getting over this as soon as possible. If everyone did so in two weeks we’d be back to normal. 

Cases are in all probability increasing rapidly , official recorded numbers mean zilch . As for over in 2 weeks , not a chance , though self isolation practised by the majority will help stem the tide.

44 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

It was one of the other members, a fairly simple formula. Unfortunately I post so much it's buried somewhere deep in my posting history. I'll try to look it up.

Google found it, courtesy of rabas: 

Unfortunately I suspect Thailand will be another Wuhan but without the controlling force of the Chinese government to keep the lid on it ???? Temperature keeps getting mentioned stating high weather temps will keep it down but please consider the ideal temp for this virus to propagate is the temp of the human body 37'C and if it originated from an animal this will be slightly higher? The majority of transmission is direct human to human and not off surfaces according to the scientific reports.

• Like 1

I do hope that the Thai Government is moderating Thai Visa as I have a very interesting 

& important message & no, not saying told you so but I did.

The Italian Health Minister has realized that he made a major mistake in allowing & indeed 

saying as in Thailand if you think you have the Virus get to your hospital,

STOP< NOT NOW.

You can only afford to knowingly contaminate 40% of hospitals with confirmed cases.

THE REST MUST BE KEPT FREE OF THE virus at all costs even if it means commandering something like Muang Thong Thanee Entertainmant Centre as a hospital for the virus.

Please Mr PM learn from previous blunders by other countries &  advise your Health Ministry of this so they can take immediate action

Stay safe everybody

8 hours ago, Drax said:

Non-resident wouldn’t be accurate. More like, non permanent resident status / work permit. Some people hold work permits and aren’t residents as been under 6 months here while some people on marriage visa are residents as lived for years and even pay taxes.

on positive side at least cases not going up. Hope everyone stays home and contributes to getting over this as soon as possible. If everyone did so in two weeks we’d be back to normal. 

Do you really think the cases are not going up?

6 hours ago, Eibot said:

Thailand had it's first infection on 13/01. That was way before South-Korea and Japan. I'm not saying Thailand is doing better because of measurements taken. Thailand is just doing better because Covid-19 doesn't seem to gain ground in tropical/warm climates. Hence the low death rate and infection rate of all countries globally around and below the equator. 

Brazil 2563 cases

Malaysia 2061 cases

4 hours ago, Eibot said:

Are they hospitals overrun? Are Thais hiding death people? Because if they are truly doing worst than SK or Japan, it should be flowing dead bodies all over the place.

You don't have to hide deaths you just need to deny they were from COVID, here's what a I consider to be a good example.

"The man, Ilyas Karimov, 64, was pronounced dead from severe pneumonia at 9am on Feb 29, Dr Chalermpong explained.

“He did not die from COVID-19. We did not find the COVID-19 virus in his body,” Dr Chalermpong confirmed by phone call to The Phuket News this evening.

“And at this stage, there still have not been any persons in Phuket infected with the COVID-19 virus,” he assured."

Notice the doctor says there have not been any persons infected with COVID. Well we now know this to be a blatant lie as we now know that 2 chinese were in the same hospital with a COVID before the 29th Feb, so how can you then believe him that the Russian did not have Covid, was he even tested.

Do you really believe the official figures...........

https://www.thephuketnews.com/russian-man-in-phuket-did-not-die-from-covid-19-report-officials-75200.php

Edited by Bkk Brian

24 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You don't have to hide deaths you just need to deny they were from COVID, here's what a I consider to be a good example.

"The man, Ilyas Karimov, 64, was pronounced dead from severe pneumonia at 9am on Feb 29, Dr Chalermpong explained.

“He did not die from COVID-19. We did not find the COVID-19 virus in his body,” Dr Chalermpong confirmed by phone call to The Phuket News this evening.

“And at this stage, there still have not been any persons in Phuket infected with the COVID-19 virus,” he assured."

Notice the doctor says there have not been any persons infected with COVID. Well we now know this to be a blatant lie as we now know that 2 chinese were in the same hospital with a COVID before the 29th Feb, so how can you then believe him that the Russian did not have Covid, was he even tested.

Do you really believe the official figures...........

https://www.thephuketnews.com/russian-man-in-phuket-did-not-die-from-covid-19-report-officials-75200.php

"Are the hospitals overrun"? 

No you don't have to hide, because relatively a very small % dies from Covid-19. What you can't hide is the stress it puts on the healthcare system. Social media is a very big thing in Thailand. People walking here with there face in the phones all the time. THEY CANNOT HIDE an outbreak. Simply impossible with the connectivity that we have with each other today. 

Do I believe the numbers? No. Do you believe any numbers being published from any country? You shouldn't because they most likely will be an estimation rather than correct. However just looking at the data provided from all countries worldwide, one can only conclude that Covid-19 isn't a contagious and thus deadly in warmer/tropical countries. Nobody is denying Thailand has Covid-19 nor can the numbers be true. But for some reason, it isn't spreading nearly as fast as it is in Europe and North-America.