From bargirls to taxi drivers to food vendors, Pattaya’s shutdown a domino-effect disaster

Rimmer

54 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

trouble with that is that a vaccine is more than likely more than a year away, in the meantime the aim is to prevent bodies stacking up on the sidewalks..

There is a medicine called chloroquine which should prevent it or so...there was an american family who tried to be smart and drank fish pond cleaner with this stuff in it but the man of the family died from that.

The medicine will be released soon i believe.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

BS. You are out of noodles. Im complaining. And where are your 2 minute rates for guys like me?

Sorry minimum time = 1 month, philanthropists only need apply.

(or until the bars & go-gos open again)

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Nobody alive (economists, etc...) has ever been through a pandemic.  So in reality they are all speaking out of their a$$es, because no one has experienced this before

True. They do not really know what they are dealing with. 

30 minutes ago, banglay said:

“We assume that the virus will infect around 50% of the world population; 20% of the cases will be severe, and 1-3% will result in deaths,”

That looks a lot like an assumption rather than a credible scientific analysis or study,please try again.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Nobody alive (economists, etc...) has ever been through a pandemic.  So in reality they are all speaking out of their a$$es, because no one has experienced this before

I thought that we've had numerous flu pandemics in the past 60 years or so.As this particular pandemic has only just begun the experts are warning that it's to early to say how severe this pandemic is and with information from several studies of this pandemic beginning to emerge some high profile experts are starting to suggest it may not be particularly exceptional.Also testing the population for the presence of antibodies yet to be conducted also makes it difficult to get a clear picture of what is going on at present.

20 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

What is it you dont grasp fella here ???  Every single existing case has to be eradicated worldwide (and perhaps even a worldwide Vaccination programme) before we're good to go

We're looking 18 months here possibly longer. You dont need to be a medic an economist or even Somchai to understand that

• Sad 2

A post containing content copy and pasted from some site has been removed as unsubstantiated information.  Please include a valid link to the source of information when posting:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

5 minutes ago, 30la said:

It is truly a great catastrophe ... and the government? Now is the time to show how much you are worth ...

The administration (I still can't call it a government) is showing what it's worth hence the catastrophe.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, fruitman said:

There is a medicine called chloroquine which should prevent it or so...there was an american family who tried to be smart and drank fish pond cleaner with this stuff in it but the man of the family died from that.

The medicine will be released soon i believe.

there's just no real data to support that I afraid, you would have to do trials of 10,000 plus people - then you could say that if it works for the 10k, then it will work for me. AFAIK that hasn't been done. It would be wonderful if it turns out to be true. They're looking at about six established drugs (including what you wrote about), making various combinations of them and human guinea pigs are stepping up like heroes and allowing experimentation on them. I hope you're correct but I'm starting to think the world will permanently be altered. There's already talk in some scientific circles of when this burns out that it will be returning yearly like the flu does, imo we need a vaccine or we're f***ed. Whatever occurs, I hope you and yours remain safe and healthy - don't take chances.. 

27 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How many of us want to live with only 30k per month? 

How many of us would be able to live from 30k if they tried?

Once I'd paid the rent on my bedsit in the UK, I'd have a lot less than that left to live on.

After my housing is paid, I live on almost exactly that in Thailand, and that's paying for my entire family of 4, including one at university and one at junior school.

I've had many pals living on 20k a month, with no live-in, but a few visits each week.

I have trouble working out what you are doing to spend more than that?

(and can only guess laziness and foolishness pay a large part in many foreigners excessive spending)

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think it's funny that many farangs here pretend 30k is a fortune.

How many of us want to live with only 30k per month? 

How many of us would be able to live from 30k if they tried?

I know some farangs live with less but there are many farangs who will struggle with only 30k.

Obviously many Thais live with less. But most of us know the concept that we adjust our spending to our income. If we are used to a "high" income we have expensive rent, food, transport, etc. and those pretty bargirl also know how to make life better - and more expensive. 

I lived off less than that 15 years ago when i first came here

5,000 rent

800 electric 

1,000 p/w food and the rest was on booze and women

not a creed to live your life by, but it was fun at the time 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Other normal workers seem to get by on less than 30,000 baht a month.

By other expenses, I think she means luxuries, i.e. latest phone, nightclubs, Thai boyfriend etc.

Probably comes from a large family back in the Isan with a sick buffalo. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Other normal workers seem to get by on less than 30,000 baht a month.

By other expenses, I think she means luxuries, i.e. latest phone, nightclubs, Thai boyfriend etc.

that's a selfish way to look at it. she may easily mean: kids, and their education, family members back home. and too many farangs who have been here too long call any apartment for a Thai over 5,000 per month luxurious, as if they should only be expected to live in cheap rooms with no furniture. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, bkk7 said:

many farangs who have been here too long call any apartment for a Thai over 5,000 per month luxurious

I consider any apartment for anyone that costs over 5,000bht/month in Thailand 'luxurious'.

There's some really nice apartments at the end of my road for 2,500bht/month (built last year).

Swimming pool/restaurant/beer bar next door (40bht for the pool, girls in Chang uniforms).

What more do you want?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Well, saving money in good times is for sure not what she likes. With 2,000 Baht for LT, lady drinks and so on, she should have much more. But that she needs 30,000 Baht per month shows where her money went. I wonder how a 7/11 employee can survive with 10,000 Baht per month.

sometimes they can't! who tells you they have an easy life at 7? it's hard and they frequently don't have enough for normal things. they're experiencing multiple dimensions of poverty. they go to cheap clinics instead of hospitals when they're sick. they live in rooms without TVs. they don't have WiFi or computers. etc.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, bkk7 said:

they go to cheap clinics instead of hospitals when they're sick.

Which is a bit odd as the hospital is free and the clinic isn't.

Doubly odd as 7-11 staff are enrolled in the SS hospital health system which is also free.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Longchop said:

Most of these girls had a thai boyfriend (maggot) living of them as well so now the girls go home and accept to live in issan, will the maggots go as well and go sleep every night 7pm and exist on just rice ?? Not a chance but how will he pay for the pool halls , karoke lifestyle he is used to ? ? In the west people are buying guns

most, huh? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rimmer said:

After expenses, she said she has about 2,000 baht to her name. So she plans to head home to Korat instead of staying in “expensive” Pattaya where rent, food, transportation and other expenses require her to make at least 30,000 baht a month.

Must be hard for the parents back home too... 

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Once I'd paid the rent on my bedsit in the UK, I'd have a lot less than that left to live on.

After my housing is paid, I live on almost exactly that in Thailand, and that's paying for my entire family of 4, including one at university and one at junior school.

I've had many pals living on 20k a month, with no live-in, but a few visits each week.

I have trouble working out what you are doing to spend more than that?

(and can only guess laziness and foolishness pay a large part in many foreigners excessive spending)

You will be OK once you receive your 50 000 Pound  retirement pay out , that is due next week isnt it ?

38 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I consider any apartment for anyone that costs over 5,000bht/month in Thailand 'luxurious'.

There's some really nice apartments at the end of my road for 2,500bht/month (built last year).

Swimming pool/restaurant/beer bar next door (40bht for the pool, girls in Chang uniforms).

What more do you want?

You're forgetting about the expense for her buying a new IPhone on a regular basis...