From bargirls to taxi drivers to food vendors, Pattaya’s shutdown a domino-effect disaster

Rimmer

I am sure we all feel sorry for them but there is really no choice.

Very few "working girls" seem to have the ability to save even if on 50,000 Bht a month

I do know, we employed 40 of them & only 5 even had bank accounts.

Easy to say the Govt got that wrong but what do you suggest, end up like Italy,,,,,,

which they still could if no one gives a s,,,t

Imagine being caught in India ay this time.

For those of you who do not check the news "total lockdown"

VAST numbers with no money & a Police Force that will shoot 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, natway09 said:

I am sure we all feel sorry for them but there is really no choice.

Very few "working girls" seem to have the ability to save even if on 50,000 Bht a month

I do know, we employed 40 of them & only 5 even had bank accounts.

Easy to say the Govt got that wrong but what do you suggest, end up like Italy,,,,,,

which they still could if no one gives a s,,,t

Imagine being caught in India ay this time.

For those of you who do not check the news "total lockdown"

VAST numbers with no money & a Police Force that will shoot 

When the 'caring' nations are paying back for the current social welfare needs with debased currencies in the future the rich families of the countries that let their citizens sink or swim will be well placed.

I remember 77 baht = 1 pound.

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Same problem in every town in the world. Governments have really got this wrong

Agreed. I wish my government and all the others started printing more of their respective currencies and handing out 1 million dollars, THB, euros, whatever to each citizen, then people would be happy again. And this world would back to normal again.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, smtsetup said:

Agreed. I wish my government and all the others started printing more of their respective currencies and handing out 1 million dollars, THB, euros, whatever to each citizen, then people would be happy again. And this world would back to normal again.

You sir, are a humanitarian, Bravo

3 hours ago, RickBradford said:

It seems inevitable that the economic/social costs are going to be far higher than the medical/social ones.

The Thai government is displaying all those qualities we have come to expect; inability to make critical assessments; taking advice from people they know best rather than from people who know best; following the mantram of "We must do something. This is something. Therefore we must do it."

How long do they think they can lock this country down, even if Covid were nearly as deadly as is being claimed?

Thai people have been scared by official announcements so far, but I'll bet by the middle of April, pressure to open up again will prevail.

I well remember Sir Arnold explaining that to Sir Humphrey 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

People here do not think about an eventually upcoming crisis.

did it ever occour to you that most thai people live in hard poverty, and 

can barely save one month living expense?

it is a well know habit of poor people, to spend allmost all their little income,

because they don't see much hope in the future (means, it won't mattar to them

if they will have 20K or 30K in their account, because anyway it's a too small amount).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Me too ....... but I cook all my delicious food at home for practically nothing.

Earlier this afternoon ...... shredded chicken and vegetable soup.

IMG_20200326_160426.jpg

Just this minute from my bread machine a crusty white loaf ....... and from my blender a frothy 'Baileys' cocktail.

IMG_20200326_172356.jpg

NICE. how much for the bread?

1 minute ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

did it ever occour to you that most thai people live in hard poverty, and 

can barely save one month living expense?

it is a well know habit of poor people, to spend allmost all their little income,

because they don't see much hope in the future (means, it won't mattar to them

if they will have 20K or 30K in their account, because anyway it's a too small amount).

It is also a well-known habit of stupid people to spend all their money on certain things and thus end up having no money left for necessities of life, such as food and rent.

In Thailand, I know lots of local people who drive pickup trucks and/or new motorbikes, yet towards the end of the month their diet consists more and more of mama noodles. Until the next paycheck comes. Then it is the time to go to eat out again, order the table full yet eat only a fraction of each dish, just to show that we are rich, we can live like this.

More than poverty, this is stupidity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HomeinThailand said:

COVID-19 will bankrupt more people that it kills.  

Looks like it. Virus killed (number?).

Fight against virus ends many businesses, even more hopes, left thousands in debt, many run away in the night to avoid moneylenders, depression and suicides, relationships in 28 sq. m. apartments with the family under lockdown conditions breaking down and no money....

At least they can be happy their man in Germany is being looked after even better this year in the budget and might drop by next month to wave a bit.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, tlandtday said:

I don't want to downplay the severity or repercussions of this pandemic but it is not possible to contain it one can only slow down the transmission by small amounts.  The answer is a vaccine or medical treatment not annihilating the economy.

without the vaccine or medical treatment, it will annihilate the economy one way or another. the current measures taken are to prevent a complete shutdown and avoid a healthcare disaster. Letting the virus rampage will cause a mortality rate of 15%. 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

There's a very, very long way to go before that happens:

World population: 7.7 billion

Number dead: 22.032 as of now

Number dead in Thailand: 4
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Even if the Thai figure is false, if it was very high then social media would be screaming about it.

Thailand is still in it is early stage of the pandemic. It was one of the first countries to 'import' the virus and was able to stay under the radar for a long time but 
you can safely assume more deaths have occured because of this virus and it will increase significanctly. Even in Italy, they see higher death rates then what is normally averaged for the same period of time in other years.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, fruitman said:

There is a medicine called chloroquine which should prevent it or so...there was an american family who tried to be smart and drank fish pond cleaner with this stuff in it but the man of the family died from that.

The medicine will be released soon i believe.

It doesn't prevent it, it only treats the consequences. 

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I've totally given up on steak in Thailand, it was never worth what I paid for it.

The chicken and the pork ......... perfectly acceptable if not really good.

Even the alledged Wagu beef is quationable quality and very few Thai can cook a steak, as it way too thinly cut, not marbled and generally tasteless.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

A strip club in USA have some of the girls out doing food delivery Thai bar girls could do the same and a quick BJ with your pizza

OBserving social distancing ?? 

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:
15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I've totally given up on steak in Thailand, it was never worth what I paid for it.

The chicken and the pork ......... perfectly acceptable if not really good.

Even the alledged Wagu beef is quationable quality and very few Thai can cook a steak, as it way too thinly cut, not marbled and generally tasteless.

It's a real eye-opener when I go back to the UK or Spain and see the food, especially meat, there. It's of far higher quality and often cheaper than in Thailand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bastos60 said:

Thailand is still in it is early stage of the pandemic. It was one of the first countries to 'import' the virus and was able to stay under the radar for a long time but 
you can safely assume more deaths have occured because of this virus and it will increase significanctly. Even in Italy, they see higher death rates then what is normally averaged for the same period of time in other years.  

You do know that WuFlu while may have started to make news and getting tracked, had to have started a few months earlier.

Thailand hosted about 9 million Chinese tourists in 2019, and logic is that many were from WuHan and that area.

Seems logical that WuFlu has been around for about 5 or 6 months on the ground but a few months less in the news.

So why has Thailand only 4 deaths (all of which had pre-existing health conditions)? What if govt is fudging the numbers and it's 100X that !?? 400 OMG!

Typical influenza/pneumonia kills FAR MORE per year, far more than 4 or 400 in 3 months, or more likely 6 or 7 months.

Why didn't big daddy shut down the country for the standard influenza pandemic? Oh, you know, everyone gets a cold or the flu sometimes...

36 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It's a real eye-opener when I go back to the UK or Spain and see the food, especially meat, there. It's of far higher quality and often cheaper than in Thailand.

If only if didn't rain every day, a bedsit didn't cost 600 pounds/month and the women wanted us, eh?

• Like 2