Flights leaving Thailand

superal

Many flight agencies are showing flights to the UK from Bangkok starting at around 20000 baht and appear to be taking bookings i.e. from now to early April but when I go direct to the airlines they show zero availability .  On the other hand there are some airlines e.g/ Qatar are showing availability at a hefty cost starting at 75000 baht one way stopover economy . I understand supply and demand but this price , why so high ?

57 minutes ago, superal said:

to the UK from Bangkok starting at around 20000 baht

I get emails almost daily from the Dutch consulate about flights back to Paris/Amsterdam with Air France/KLM. Next flight March 28. The emails say not to book online but to write en email to the airline. Till now prices are about 20000 Baht.

• Thanks 2

I booked a flight with EVA air yesterday for April 1(bkk-london).

I already have a flight with EVA on April 15 but had little faith in that not being cancelled. 

Tried to get the ticket changed to an earlier date through their Bangkok office but after an hour on hold my phone credit ran out????

With flights home disappearing before my very eyes(tried Finnair and by the time I got my details sorted they'd sold out) 

I decided to book 3 EVA flights for myself and friends. 

Cost around £600 each one way. 

Not too bad and at least its direct so there no potential problem with countries closing their borders. 

I still think its a 50/50 chance that the flight will even happen though. 

I also don't have much faith in in travel agents. 

2 of my friends flew with Emirates using Travel trolley and after their return flights were cancelled they emailed Travel Trolly and basically got a "tough <deleted>" reply. 

So, I'd suggest, if you can, book direct with the airline even if it might cost a little more. 

BTW, as I understand it, just because a travel agent is selling tickets and the airline says there are none available, that doesn't mean the travel agent isn't keeping up with what's happening. 

The travel agents are issued groups of tickets by the airline that they then proceed to sell on, yes? 

So those seat should still be available. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

If you are trying to fly back to the UK, this might be helpful: 

Thanks Jonathan for the link but what a mine field . How can Qatar Air justify charging 4 times the normal price in a time of global crisis and as for the British Embassy in BK what are they doing to help with repatriation of stranded tourists in Thailand ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Adbro1 said:

Despite already having a return flight booked on Korean Air for April, I too booked a new, earlier flight with EVA from Chiang Mai to Los Angeles, in hopes of leaving sooner. After receiving a receipt for the flight, seat change and other options, I also received a PDF ticket. However, the day following the booking I attempted to view the booking via both the EVA Air app and their website, and could find no reference to my flight. Three days later the app indicated that no ticket was issued. Checking my credit card I learned that EVA never processed the payment. The following day EVA announced that no international flights would be allowed to land or transit Taiwan. 

Check closely to make certain your flight is still scheduled. If you're not transiting via Taiwan maybe this won't be an issue. Good luck getting back.

• Sad 1

After 4 cancellations with 3 different airlines. I have managed to book with Garuda Air.

to Australia,via Jakarta, flight time 13 hours.leaving Bangkok. 2nd April arriving Sydney 3rd April,then on to Adelaide,

Edited by KhunAussie52
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Adbro1 said:

I already have a flight with EVA on April 15 but had little faith in that not being cancelled. 

Tried to get the ticket changed to an earlier date through their Bangkok office but after an hour on hold my phone credit ran out????

With flights home disappearing before my very eyes(tried Finnair and by the time I got my details sorted they'd sold out) 

Not too bad and at least its direct so there no potential problem with countries closing their borders. 

2 of my friends flew with Emirates using Travel trolley and after their return flights were cancelled they emailed Travel Trolly and basically got a "tough <deleted>" reply. 

So, I'd suggest, if you can, book direct with the airline even if it might cost a little more. 

BTW, as I understand it, just because a travel agent is selling tickets and the airline says there are none available, that doesn't mean the travel agent isn't keeping up with what's happening. 

The travel agents are issued groups of tickets by the airline that they then proceed to sell on, yes? 

A crazy rash decision by you in my opinion. If you dont need to go back to the UK now why go? Its a nightmare over there. To pay £600 for a 1 way flight as well, if your flight on April 15th is not cancelled you will not get a refund either.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Adbro1 said:

EVA is good because the hub is Taiwan which has done a very good job handling the virus.

3 hours ago, superal said:

Thanks Jonathan for the link but what a mine field . How can Qatar Air justify charging 4 times the normal price in a time of global crisis and as for the British Embassy in BK what are they doing to help with repatriation of stranded tourists in Thailand ? 

If someone is stranded because he/she decided to travel half around the world during a major virus outbreak, you think they should be repatriated by default? Please,wake up! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

It transpires that Thai Air cancelled my April flight from BKK to LHR without telling me - so I rebooked with EVA yesterday.

EVAs website shows it will continue to operate three flights a week BKK to LHR.  It is a direct flight so removes the risk of being stuck in transit through another country which may be on "lock-down" and making it difficult for foreigners to even pass through its airport.

43 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

A friend tried to book a flight Bkk to Heathrow 2 days ago in a travel agency, and was told by the indian salesperson that the price was 90,000Bht one way, stopover in the middle east !

I know where I shall never go to book a ticket ????

and no guarantee that he would get the flight ( if it even existed ) or money back if it was cancelled .  I have had a couple of bad experiences with travel agencies ( one Indian company took an unauthorised £ 600 from my bank account but bank fraud team got it back after 10 days ) and now book direct with the airlines but right now I have dropped the search for a flight to the UK because the high cost is unjustifiable .

7 hours ago, Max69xl said:

If someone is stranded because he/she decided to travel half around the world during a major virus outbreak, you think they should be repatriated by default? Please,wake up! 

pre-planned pre-booked flights for a 2 month Asian tour to countries without the virus at the rime of travel would have been seen as a no risk event at the time . Indeed there were few if any caveats from airlines or governments to highlight any problems back then . 

Edited by Rimmer

20 hours ago, jimmjam said:

These booking sites are not properly updated, they say that flights are available but the actual airline has cancelled them.

Or one leg of the trip is cancelled.

Did you see/read the story about the family stuck in bkk airport, there first flight got cancelled , then they paid 11000 quid for another flight, later to find out the transfer had been cancelled.

Its all good saying there is flights, when in reality, there is hardly any and if they are available they are way over the price people can afford.

Stay put and wait,

Plus, why would you risk travelling maybe from another province on a bus or a plane to get caught out either by catching the virus or finding out the flight is cancelled.

You are 100% right on this IMO. However it doesn't cover those who cannot get an extension and others who simply have to get home for whatever reason.

If you don't have to, why risk it. 

Province to Suvarnabhumi ...........virus risk

Airport.........virus risk

200+ packed into a flying tin can for 12 hours...............big virus risk  (And the nightmare possibility of sitting next to some fat, farting, sunburnt, drunken tourist who should have been in Torremolinos, or his wife flowing over the seat sides like sweaty jelly).

Transfer airport in Europe (Incl UK) , another flight,  arrival airport etc ............virus risk.

Top that off with the likelihood that the country you are going to has got much higher infection levels than Thailand, even despite Thailand's limited testing, and probable cover up reporting.

Why risk it - stay put if you can. Flights may well be pretty empty by mid May.

17 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

If you are one of those people I mentioned, then I don't feel sorry for you. There were reports about the Coronavirus in every newspaper in January. Even if you booked a flight 3 months ago it doesn't mean you HAD TO come here 3 weeks ago,does it? In many countries in for example Europe there were warnings about coming here. Did people listen to those warnings? Noooo,why would they? So, I repeat: Wake up! 

I am talking about long stay holidays / back packers who often stay for 2 or 3 months touring Asia . 

Reference short term trips , I agree and my son cancelled his 2 week holiday to visit me here in Thailand on the 14th of February because of the virus .

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Olmate said:

Oz pm (for him no capitals) suggested Australians find way home commercially knowing full well it was a stup up brewing! National carrier shutting down, why have one if it can,t assist. Billions spent on economic /health package but zero on repatriation. Anyone heard from Oz Embassy?

I understand the government is organising flights for people stuck in South America. BTW Qantas may be a national icon but it is a private shareholder owned company and has been for many years.

The flight I was on was full and everyone had been made well aware to get home while you can. Many did. It's called taking personal responsibility.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunAussie52 said:

After 4 cancellations with 3 different airlines. I have managed to book with Garuda Air.

to Australia,via Jakarta, flight time 13 hours.leaving Bangkok. 2nd April arriving Sydney 3rd April,then on to Adelaide,

Are you sure Indonesia would allow you to transit?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KhunAussie52 said:

Not any more. The PM announce today that all arrivals will be quarantined in the city of arrival for 14 days with the defence force being involved in ensuring people stay there. Enjoy your two weeks in Sydney.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

If their Tour/airline/insurance didn't warn them not to travel and offer them a refund ........ yes.

There's lots of people that can't afford to toss $1,000 tickets.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

I understand the government is organising flights for people stuck in South America. BTW Qantas may be a national icon but it is a private shareholder owned company and has been for many years.

The flight I was on was full and everyone had been made well aware to get home while you can. Many did. It's called taking personal responsibility.

This afternoon the pm was asked in his press briefing about this, his response about the 20,000 or so Ozzie’s now stuck overseas,was very similar to yours. Guess you both know all of those folks personal situations or predicaments. It,s pretty similar to “I,m OK Jack.. stiff you”

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

"It's called taking personal responsibility." 

That's something a lot of people can't even spell. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1