Chiang Mai: It's not just coronavirus crisis stretching resources - fires rage in national park for two days

webfact

Chiang Mai: It's not just coronavirus crisis stretching resources - fires rage in national park for two days

90470007_139337590925407_4425307110913343488_n.jpg

Picture: Wevo

Resources in Chiang Mai are being stretched to the limit and it is not just the coronavirus that is draining personnel and equipment.

The authorities are battling huge and challenging fires in the Doi Suthep - Pui national park that have been raging for two days.

So serious are the fires that Chiang Mai's governor Charoenrit Sanguansat and his deputy were on the scene last night helping to direct operations and implement strategies. 

About 400 firefighters from multiple jurisdictions and agencies are battling the blazes that are continually spreading due to high winds and sparks moving across mountainsides and ravines. 

620907.jpg

Picture: Chiang Mai News

The terrain and breathing difficulties are presenting particular challenges for firemen. 

Breathing difficulties are also experienced by Chiang Mai's long suffering residents who have complained for years about fires and illegal burning creating haze and ruining life in the northern Thai province. 

620911.jpg

Picture: Chiang Mai News

The city is often named as one of the most polluted in the world, especially around this time of the year.

Dramatic pictures on Chiang Mai News and a Facebook site called Wevo showed the raging fires. 

Source: Chiang Mai News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-26

620913.jpg

Hey daoyai - not ONE bum gun but, I literally brought about TWENTY bum guns back here from my final trip to CM in March 2019 (I travel Bus Class) ! Every house I've had in Oz since about 1998 has had one. My 98 y.o. dad even has one in his place, after a visit to my place in C Mai in 1994. Greatest invention (somehow I doubt that a Thai ever invented it) on the blxxdy planet ! We have one in our 100 y.o. Aussie timber home, hence that is why I only need a bit of newsprint to soak up the water/leftovers ! I bought a couple of the really expensive (stainless) ones too last trip, as I am planning on a new-build, when I find a decent block near the ocean that is not over-priced. (Yeh, I have a few quid). "Bum guns - made for just such a dunny-paper crisis - cos you use bxxxer all paper". Could be a sales pitch ? Would have loved one when I was growing up mate - we had a 'thunder box' ! Maybe I should market them now in Oz, due to the paper crisis ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hate to say this but if there was the appearance of a strong wind One night which lead to many structures destroyed and lives taken in CM city would actually have a positive effect in the long run...

nothing like an embarrassment and losing face to light a fire under important people’s butts to draw attention to an absolute tragic situation...

to let you know that this is not a case of one forest fire out of control ...cm has had one good air day (meaning ave Under 50) since Nov 30th 2019...that means bad air ranging from moderate to very unhealthy to dangerous every day except one now for nearly four months....unbelievable 

Edited by cardinalblue
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

It is really horrible right now. Every year the same, nothing will change. That´s why I want to relocate to another city soon as possible.

One of the main reasons I left Chiang Mai ten years.  Nothing changes no matter how many times they say it will.  We had a six year son and we moved in fear for his health.

Many thanks to you 'cardinal blue' for only confirming my story and the truth of this matter. Chiang Mai as a city is finished, forever, due to the greed and selfishness of a few, very wealthy, Thai people. A totally polluted xxxxhole on the planet, for almost three quarters of a year now, every year for the last fifteen years. Just an OK  place to pass through, when and if, and I mean "if", it is raining ... Thanks also to "dunroaming" who had the balls to save his childs' life and get the hell out of 'turd-mai'. Too many friends back there, to even contemplate their demise due to pulmonary disease.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 30la said:

This is not new news ... in Thailand it must always burn something ...

I have been here 8 years. Last year and this year the worst years. Wonder why the air water tankers are not used to dump on clearly visible fire lines.

Edited by wwest5829
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Aussiepeter said:

Chiang Mai as a city is finished, forever, due to the greed and selfishness of a few, very wealthy, Thai people

Wealthy people? It's the underclass and village people from surrounding areas. Life seems to just kind of happen to the Thais and I have zero confidence they will ever be able to tackle this.

Maybe in 100 years something will change but for our lifetimes it's best to accept this and try to move on like you did (I know am).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

I have been hear 8 years. Last year and this year the worst years.Wonder why the air water tankers are not used to dump on clearly visible fire lines.

I rent a little house in Samoeng (in addition to living in CM) and this morning the smoke was so thick it burned the eyes. The people living there don't care, life just goes on for them, sick or otherwise...

3 hours ago, Aussiepeter said:

Hey daoyai - not ONE bum gun but, I literally brought about TWENTY bum guns back here from my final trip to CM in March 2019 (I travel Bus Class) ! Every house I've had in Oz since about 1998 has had one. My 98 y.o. dad even has one in his place, after a visit to my place in C Mai in 1994. Greatest invention (somehow I doubt that a Thai ever invented it) on the blxxdy planet ! We have one in our 100 y.o. Aussie timber home, hence that is why I only need a bit of newsprint to soak up the water/leftovers ! I bought a couple of the really expensive (stainless) ones too last trip, as I am planning on a new-build, when I find a decent block near the ocean that is not over-priced. (Yeh, I have a few quid). "Bum guns - made for just such a dunny-paper crisis - cos you use bxxxer all paper". Could be a sales pitch ? Would have loved one when I was growing up mate - we had a 'thunder box' ! Maybe I should market them now in Oz, due to the paper crisis ?

Most plumbers won't install them, some BS about bacteria getting into mains water supply. Yeah right, they can swim backwards at a rate of knots.

The solution to this is so simple. Start heavily fining or jailing the poo yais of any village near the fires, and the problem would disappear overnight. Same as wearing a helmet on a bike, a fine of 1000 baht or confiscation of the bike would transform behaviors very rapidly