BANGKOK
silver sea

Face mask may not work with a beard or moustache

“... the 'hipster beard' and 'designer stubble' dramatically reduce the effectiveness of surgical grade face masks because they stop them from sealing against the skin which allows airborne respiratory droplets to pass through.”

“Thick, textured styles including full beards and mutton chops, which are long sideburns that stretch along the lower jawline to the chin, reduce the effectiveness of breathing apparatus and should be removed before using any kind of mask.“

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-8154275/Coronavirus-Queensland-virologist-reveals-shaving-beard-protect-against-COVID-19.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ico=taboola_feed

I wondered about this.  I was at Tesco yesterday and saw a farang dude with a thick beard wearing a mask.  Didn't seem very practical.  A beard in this heat and with the COVID....one may want to reconsider.

Do I need to shave it off then?The chicks dig it.

try this..cheap & effective

6832ae42-058c-4691-8b62-85cb3f90d089.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Where does she have her mustache ?

More to the point, where does she like MY moustache!   LOL

I’m guessing OP could never grow a beard so he’s hoping nobody can.

A troll post has been removed

Anything that I read which comes from the Daily Mail, I suspect little truth. Did you know that most medical people wear mask in the hospital to prevent them from spreading their fluids, not to prevent fluids from others, except in cases where they must wear specially fitted mask. Specially fitted mask like those which are used to prevent the 2.5 micron pollution.  So, yes, if you have a beard, it useless to wear a n-95 mask.  A typical surgical mask, you're Okay.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Virtually no masks that are in common us do anything much to protect the wearer from becoming infected, day to day. They do have a roll in protecting others if you are infected. They are just to appear to be doing something.

CCEFAC3D-3553-491C-BCAB-344336084543.png.eef80307923c91024c8c9c017727cd4e.png

Meanwhile in the real world...

Coronavirus: Why some countries wear face masks and others don't

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-52015486

"Yet in some parts of Asia everyone now wears a mask by default - it is seen as safer and more considerate.

In mainland China, Hong Kong, Japan, Thailand and Taiwan, the broad assumption is that anyone could be a carrier of the virus, even healthy people. So in the spirit of solidarity, you need to protect others from yourself.

Some of these governments are urging everyone to wear a mask, and in some parts of China you could even be arrested and punished for not wearing one."

You won't be able to ride Thailand's SRT if you don't have one.

It's mostly an Asian thing. We are in Asia. The WHO isn't.

• Like 2