No drinking on Phuket beaches, order officials

Jonathan Fairfield

By Tanyaluk Sakoot

p1.jpg

No beer on the beaches is the latest order. Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: No beer or any other alcohol is allowed to be consumed on Phuket beaches or any other public places on the island is among the latest measures being rolled out to help try to contain the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus (COVID-19).

Phuket Vice Governor Supoj Rotreuang Na Nongkhai announced the news yesterday (Mar 25).

“This order focuses on Patong Beach and Sapan Hin [near Phuket Town], which are the popular areas,” Vice Governor Supoj said.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/no-drinking-on-phuket-beaches-order-officials-75447.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-03-26

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, petedk said:

But you can sit and drink ice-tea together?

These officials use any excuse to ban alcohol.

What if someone sits alone and enjoys a bottle of cold beer? Will that spread the virus?

Because social drinking is primarily beer and not ice-tea.

If u choose to go to a public beach alone, to drink a beer alone - why couldn't u do that at home?

Right now u should stay at home......

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smedly said:

so why not just say that instead of this utter nonsense about beer

it has nothing to do with beer

You are absolutely right and that was what I was trying to get at. Look at the photos above. There are hundreds of people but not everyone is drinking alcohol.

5 hours ago, rasmus5150 said:

If u choose to go to a public beach alone, to drink a beer alone - why couldn't u do that at home?

I agree with you in that we don't go to the beach to drink beer alone. I have lived here for 20 years and in that time I have probably had maximum 5 beers on the beach and they have been with dinner. Heat and beers don't go well together in my opinion.

All I am saying is that Thai authorities use any excuse to ban alcohol consumption. Look at the train guard who raped a passenger. Ok- Ban all alcohol on trains. 

I don't drink a lot. Never go to bars, but i like a beer sometimes with my dinner - be it on the beach or in the comfort of my own house.

Anyway, lets see if an alcohol ban stops people gathering together.

14 hours ago, petedk said:

You are absolutely right and that was what I was trying to get at. Look at the photos above. There are hundreds of people but not everyone is drinking alcohol.

And they are not all farangs.

19 hours ago, rasmus5150 said:

Drinking at home is Anti social, only Germans do that

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bluedoc said:

What is a farang or fallang. Is it attributed to skin colour or just foreigners?

Both, foreigner with white skin, but the background of the use of "farang" is old and originates to medieval era, used for the ancient German tribe the "Franks". We are often told that the word originates from khmer and the old time French visitors, "farancee", and in general used about all Caucasians – I've also read that multiple times – but I was corrected not that long ago...????

As another poster said "Google is your friend", I will add that Wikipedia might be an even better friend, you can read about "farang" here...????

21 minutes ago, khunPer said:

The party is over...:whistling:

Which is a good thing.

Stay the F at home.

Or experience Prayut's curfew in less than a week. And then everybody can complain about that as well.

Edited by rasmus5150
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Both, foreigner with white skin, but the background of the use of "farang" is old and originates to medieval era, used for the ancient German tribe the "Franks". We are often told that the word originates from khmer and the old time French visitors, "farancee", and in general used about all Caucasians – I've also read that multiple times – but I was corrected not that long ago...????

As another poster said "Google is your friend", I will add that Wikipedia might be an even better friend, you can read about "farang" here...????

I did. Very enlightening and to some extent takes away the derisive nature of the term, to be franc.????

23 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

this is why:

just two nights ago and every night. 

ET4Ha0EU4AMm6Rq.jpg

ET4HaT1U0AASUgD.jpg

Exactly ! ... Thank you for posting these photos. These show exactly why officials have said what they have. Tourists, showing contempt for themselves and others by congregating during this time.

This photo mirrors/examples what I have seen on the island (I've had to go to IO for example ... took every possible precaution to stay safe (from myself and others). Look at the transmission rates and death rates in Europe and ask yourself how many of these people in the photos came her in the last 30 days from Europe?

On 3/26/2020 at 2:37 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

And I thought that alcohol was a good cleaner/disinfected. I have been drinking very heavenly believing that.  ????

• Haha 1