Politician wants eggs to be on state price control list

webfact

Politician wants eggs to be on state price control list

By The Nation

800_6cfbd1e1df6df28.jpg?v=1585210303

The government has been urged to stop the export of eggs in order to control the price in the local market after it tended to rise since the emergency decree was passed.

New Palangdharma Party leader Dr Ravee Machamadol said that some 40 million to 41 million eggs were produced a day and daily consumption was 39 million while 2 million were exported.

He asked the government not to export eggs during the Covid-19 situation since people had to stock up food supplies, especially eggs.

He said that the price of eggs had now reached Bt110 a dozen, which was an "unreasonable price", but there was no agency claiming responsibility to control the price.

“I urge Deputy Prime Minister Jurin Laksanawisit to announce state price control for eggs immediately to alleviate the problems of the people and apply the law to prosecute vendors who sell overpriced eggs,” Ravee said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384864

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-26
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Monomial said:

Eggs have been almost impossible to find since Monday in many places, when some moronic Thai doctor made a statement that eggs were a safe food because the wax coating on egg shells could resist the virus. Predictably, and for no logically justifiable reason, eggs started disappearing from shelves everywhere after that. Everything was fine before that statement, and the market has yet to return to normal after a weeks worth of eggs from every distributor was sold out in a single day. It is going to take weeks to fully recover from that panic buying frenzy. But just like there is a shortage of eggs now, there is a glut of eggs coming.

Panic buying frenzy!   EGGsacty what we dont need. ????

• Haha 1

Our local village egg distributer told us yesterday that she has very limited supplies. She went on to explain that it is because her main supplier has chosen to export the majority of their eggs to China. Prices in the local market were at 200 baht for a tray of 30, up from 110 baht a few days ago. 

21 hours ago, Konini said:

This won't end well.  When will politicians learn not to let their trap flap?

Anyway, where does he get a dozen eggs?  I've only ever seen them in 10s in SEA countries, which is very odd to someone used to dozens or half dozens.  110 baht for 12 seems really expensive too; I pay 45 baht for 10 big ones, always very fresh, at the local convenience store (bought yesterday, same price as usual).  Same price at the local market, at least they were at the beginning of the week when I passed the stalls.

(Notice; not one single egg joke or pun.)

My wife paid 120 baht for size 0 eggs on Wednesday but that was for 30 eggs.

4 hours ago, domgaf said:

She went on to explain that it is because her main supplier has chosen to export the majority of their eggs to China.

Interesting, CP chicken group is the largest egg producer in Thailand. ????????????

Edited by Venom
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Konini said:

This won't end well.  When will politicians learn not to let their trap flap?

Anyway, where does he get a dozen eggs?  I've only ever seen them in 10s in SEA countries, which is very odd to someone used to dozens or half dozens.  110 baht for 12 seems really expensive too; I pay 45 baht for 10 big ones, always very fresh, at the local convenience store (bought yesterday, same price as usual).  Same price at the local market, at least they were at the beginning of the week when I passed the stalls.

(Notice; not one single egg joke or pun.)

Our eggs come in 30 per tray  big ones Thb 120,      number 1  eggs Thb 90 per tray off 30

• Like 1

For those who live in remote areas. Buy eggs from farmers. Not only a much better quality, you might even get some duck eggs.

Another opportunity is to skip eggs from hens and eat bird's eggs. These are usually available all over the Kingdom of Lies, aeeh Smiles. 

Last time the wife saw eggs (about 4 days ago) the price had doubled ..... We have a small shop and she sells about 150 eggs a week. We have tried the market, Tesco, Makro and a couple of other places - zero eggs in Udon. 

Have also had problems getting a couple of other products, but they are not necessities (well, Schweppes Manao is for me!). Saw hand gel at 250 baht for a bottle!