Thai police ask people to carry ID with them when travelling

webfact

Thai police ask people to carry ID with them when travelling

cp.jpg

Thai police on Thursday said that people in Thailand should carry official identification with them in order to help with screening for COVID-19.

Thai people are asked to carry their ID card, while foreigners should carry their passport. (Presumably a valid Thai driving license or pink ID card would also be acceptable. It wasn’t immediately clear if a photocopy of a passport would suffice.)

Carrying ID will help when it comes to screening people at official checkpoints in the event they display symptoms of COVID-19, police said. 

Thai police said that there are now more than 300 checkpoints in place throughout the country.

When stopped at a checkpoint, members of the public are asked to be co-operative.

cp1.jpg

Police also said that reports on social media that people are being fined 200 baht for not wearing a face mask is fake news.

While there is no mandatory requirement to wear a face mask, police once again asked people who go outside to try and ensure they wear one.

Police added that all government buildings now require a face mask to be worn, as well as some public transport. Some private organisations also insist people wear masks prior to entering the premises.

While there are no travel restrictions in place in Thailand, police stressed that people really should not be travelling anyway and should remain indoors.

All but essential travel to other provinces is requested, while travel locally should only be to the supermarket or similar. 

Meanwhile, a video posted by TNAMCOT showed the screening process at a checkpoint in Bangkok.

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-26

• Haha 1

the skins surface can elevate by 5 to 6 degrees Celsius when exposed to direct sunlight. Also the skin's temperature can go up to 40 degrees Celsius when the surrounding temperature exceeds 28 degrees Celsius so outdoor screening doesn't work

note - cannot remove bold font

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It's common sense to wear a face mask outdoors

No it's not. You think like a Thai. The virus is not fully airborne floating about in the breeze like March pollen.

Enclosed public areas and even then it only prevents the person wearing the mask from spraying droplets on others. Minimally reducing the risk of transmission.

Goes double triple when mask is not n94+

The Thai mentality: I can't trust you to do the right thing. You cant trust me. So let's all wear masks.

Yes. I now wear a mask if I go out. I'm now going to dedicate myself to stay in 7 days straight.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My passport stays in my home.

Can you imagine the trouble trying to get a replacement passport/VISA at this point in time, if it were stolen/damaged/lost?

PS: How are they screening people wearing full face m/c helmets?

Just wondering you understand.

Myself as well but I have three other forms of valid Thai ID. Alas, no geriatric  pink book though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Can you imagine the trouble trying to get a replacement passport/VISA at this point in time, if it were stolen/damaged/lost?

I think this will answer your question.  Now will it be an accurate reading due to the heat being trapped in the helmet, well your guess is as good as mine...lol

5 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

No it's not. You think like a Thai. The virus is not fully airborne floating about in the breeze like March pollen.

Enclosed public areas and even then it only prevents the person wearing the mask from spraying droplets on others. Minimally reducing the risk of transmission.

Goes double triple when mask is not n94+

The Thai mentality: I can't trust you to do the right thing. You cant trust me. So let's all wear masks.

Yes. I now wear a mask if I go out. I'm now going to dedicate myself to stay in 7 days straight.

I sometimes wore a mask, sometimes not, but something I read in another thread made me realise why it's important - if you've got COVID-19, but you don't show any symptoms, and may never show symptoms if you're luckily resistant to it, then not wearing a mask can/will spread the virus all over the shop, it's not a pain to wear one either.

I go on walks now and then, last week I walked about 12km in midday BKK heat, it was a silly thing to do, but I also when out without a mask on. Thais were actively avoiding me, usually with a grimace.

A few days ago I went out for the same walk, at the same silly time, but this time with a mask on, this time there was no avoiding action.

And it's got nothing to do with the state of my looks TYVM.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Carrying ID will help when it comes to screening people at official checkpoints in the event they display symptoms of COVID-19, police said. 

more likely as case of:

- in the event that Check reveals someone on the run, from an already ordered quarantine...

(like the recent thai who jumped from the 1st floor and ran)

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I'm thinking like a responsible person. If I have the virus, the risk of me infecting another person by coughing or sneezing is significantly less. It's not minimal reduction when people can be infected up to 2 metres away by a person without a mask.

If you have symptoms of cough and sneezing then obviously you need to wear a mask

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
26 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I'm thinking like a responsible person. If I have the virus, the risk of me infecting another person by coughing or sneezing is significantly less. It's not minimal reduction when people can be infected up to 2 metres away by a person without a mask.

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

If you have symptoms of cough and sneezing then obviously you need to wear a mask

It's completely moot point. Anyone with such symptoms should be in self imposed isolation

2 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

It's completely moot point. Anyone with such symptoms should be in self imposed isolation

But then some people are uncaring and illogical in making a decision for themselves and need it made for them.  Just look at the Thai man who jumped out a window to escape his hospital after he was determined to have COVID

1 hour ago, smedly said:

then they should be providing them

Yesterday in the makro there were queue's of 100 meter only to get mouthmasks for 10 baht...and they had to show passport and get a ticket, there were loads of announcements for that...we went into that queue because we thought it was for the cashiers...

What a disaster....why can't they just sell them fast? Scan the id, 10 baht, here's your package....next...

1 hour ago, smedly said:

the skins surface can elevate by 5 to 6 degrees Celsius when exposed to direct sunlight. Also the skin's temperature can go up to 40 degrees Celsius when the surrounding temperature exceeds 28 degrees Celsius so outdoor screening doesn't work

note - cannot remove bold font

complete  waste  of  time,  I like it  when people  have readings of 35c and  how  can they take a  reading and keep 2  metres  away exactly?

12 minutes ago, Chazar said:

complete  waste  of  time,  I like it  when people  have readings of 35c and  how  can they take a  reading and keep 2  metres  away exactly?

My point being if you happen to be checked at one of these checkpoints and you are showing a high temp on your skin surface (current screening method) you could be detained when there is absolutely nothing wrong with you - from there you could actually be exposed to infected people

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

But equally, it has been shown in multiple studies already that up to 80% of cases may be asymptomatic and that people can spread the virus even when they don't have symptoms. A recent epidemiological model published in the UK the other day suggests that around 50% of the population may have been infected already and their first case was way later than Thailand's.

50% of UK population may have been infected

So with a chance that a whole large chunk of the population could be infected without us (or them) knowing about it, I think it's better to be safe than sorry and get as many people as possible to wear masks.

Even the WHO, CDC etc say that people who are caring for infected individuals, should wear a mask. Which means that they think anyone who is being exposed to people with the virus, should wear masks. The thing is, we might all be being exposed to people with the virus every time we go out, without knowing it.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Resistance is a commodity reserved for those entitled to the consequences. Best wishes.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I

Given the number of DL's, ID cards and passports handled by a single policeman in a day, I'm more concerned about them infecting me.

Totally agree. And there's not much social distancing when a cop pokes his head intto the car window!

16 hours ago, ukrules said:

I carry my driving license, it has my current and valid passport number on it.

Under no circumstances will I carry my passport around with me, ever.

If you're in Thailand, I wonder if immigration accepts your driver's license when crossing the border, doing visas, etc.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, smedly said:

My point being if you happen to be checked at one of these checkpoints and you are showing a high temp on your skin surface (current screening method) you could be detained when there is absolutely nothing wrong with you - from there you could actually be exposed to infected people

That's another very good reason to stay at home.

• Like 1