Stay home or face lockdown – supreme commander

snoop1130

10 minutes ago, samsensam said:

357 checkpoints in a country of almost 200,000 sq/m? that's, on average, one checkpoint for every 500 sq/m. that will be effective.

357 checkpoints in 200,000 sq/m which is 2,152,782.1 Square Feet, or 1 checkpoint every 1.14 miles, so damn they must be parked pretty close to each other.  I think you meant square miles...

Edited by ThailandRyan

This was just received from the U.S. Embassy in my e-mail.  Looks like Curfew is in effect in Phuket now according to a release from TAT.

image.png.510053825f65c01017fe8b90e54d3b9f.png

[email protected]

Event:  Phuket Closures and Curfew, CDC Issues Global Level 3 Travel Warning, Flights Out of Thailand

Phuket Closures

The Tourism Authority of Thailand announced that Phuket Province is requesting all residents and tourists remain in their residence from 8:00 pm to 3:00 am and has announced closures of beaches, zoo and walking street.  Please visit the Tourism Authority of Thailand’s websitefor updated information.  Additional information about restrictions across Thailand can be found at the Ministry of Public Health’s Department of Disease Control COVID-19 website.

Global Warning - Level 3, Avoid Nonessential Travel—Widespread Ongoing Transmission

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Atlanta has issued a Global Level 3 Warning.  Travelers are advised to Avoid Nonessential Travel.  This advice mirrors existing guidance from the U.S. State Department.

Key Points:

• Widespread ongoing transmission of a respiratory illness caused by the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) is occurring globally.
  • CDC recommends that travelers avoid all nonessential international travel.
  • Older adults and people of any age with serious chronic medical conditions are at increased risk for severe disease.
  • There may be limited access to adequate medical care in affected areas.
  • US residents may have difficulty returning to the United States.
  • Travelers should avoid contact with sick people and wash their hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
  • All international travelers should stay home for 14 days after returning from travel, monitor their health, and practice social distancing.

For more the most up-to-date information visit the CDC page on Novel Coronavirus and the CDC Travelers Health Page for travelers to Thailand. Information is also available through the World Health Organization.

Flights Out of Thailand

There are currently no government restrictions or requirements for departing Thailand. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. U.S. citizens who are considering returning to the United States are urged to work with their airlines to make travel arrangements while flights are still available.

We advise temporary visitors in Thailand to arrange for immediate return to the U.S. while there is still an opportunity. All flight routes are subject to cancellation without notice, and many flights are heavily booked.  Hub countries with connections to the U.S. are also imposing increasingly strict requirements.

Many travelers worldwidehave reported unexpected flight cancellations and limited flight availability.  If your travel has been disrupted, please contact your airline. The Airports of Thailand webpage provides updates on scheduled and cancelled flights out of Thailand.

Thai Emergency Decree Legislation

To read a translation of the Emergency Decree Legislation please visit the Council of State's  website.  Section 9 explains the measures available to the Prime Minister during a crisis.  People with existing health conditions, adults over 70 and children younger than five are advised to stay home.

Friday, some U.S. citizens had trouble accessing the translation of the Emergency Decree Legislation hyperlink.  For those that had issues, the complete URL is:

http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/document/ext810/810259_0001.pdf

Actions to Take:

·         Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.

·         For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.

• Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
  • Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.

·         Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Thailand.

·         Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States 

·         Visit the Thai Ministry of Public’s Health English-language application that gives daily updates on the situation in Thailand:   Covid19.ddc.moph.go.th

Assistance:

·         U.S. Embassy Bangkok, Thailand

Telephone: +66 2 205 4049

+66 2 205 4000 (after hours)

Email: [email protected]

American Citizens Services

·         U.S. Consulate General Chiang Mai, Thailand (serving U.S. citizens in Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Kamphaengphet, Lampang, Lamphun, Mae Hong Son, Nan, Petchabun, Phayao, Phichit, Phitsanulok, Phrae, Sukhothai, Tak, and Uttaradit provinces)

Telephone: +66 053 107 700

+66 2 205 4000 (after hours)

Email:[email protected]

·         State Department - Consular Affairs

888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444

·         Thailand Country Information

·         Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.

·         Follow us on Facebook and Twitter

Commandante El Supremo has spoken. What a cool title and I'll bet it comes with a really cool hat and fake Ray Bans.....next thing you know they'll outlaw Social Intercourse and hey can't he do something about the egg crisis ? My Buddah we really are in a bad B movie or am I delirious with laughter ?

• Haha 1

Well, that was an anticlimax!

I just (6AM) came through the inbound checkpoint at the Don Mueang toll plaza.

Minimal traffic with only 4 of 10 toll booths operating. I didn't even have to queue to pay so it does seem most are heeding the request for only essential travel, Monday would normally be a 4 or 5 car wait with all 10 booths open.

Headed for the two cops checking vehicles to be lethargically waved through.

They did have a couple of pickups stopped for a chat. I've no idea what the criteria for pulling them over were, but evidently a farang driving an SUV with local plates doesn't match them (at least not today, we shall see tomorrow).

I must admit I was expecting at least "Where you go? Why you go?" and had company ID and passport at the ready. Maybe that is being reserved for the next phase, whatever that turns out to be.