OA renewal after 1st year

I would like to know If a 1 year OA visa can be extended at Chaengwattana for a further year. 

All l want is a direct answer. Nothing else is relevant. 

OP, a direct answer will require correct info.

If it is in it's first year, then you would normally exit and reenter prior to it's one year life and be given new stamp of 12 month permission of stay. If you cannot then it will end at your current stamp until date.

Regarding you post. Answer NO.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, a direct answer will require correct info.

If it is in it's first year, then you would normally exit and reenter prior to it's one year life and be given new stamp of 12 month permission of stay. If you cannot then it will end at your current stamp until date.

Thanks very much for that clear and concise answer. 

Just now, pauln said:

Thanks for the lesson. 

I wasn't asking if l could renew it after it expired. 

What the. 

Visas cannot be renewed. An O-A grants 12 month permission of stay for every entry prior to it's expiry. Means you can obtain 2 years of stay in Thailand. 

You cannot obtain 12 month extension at immigration.

BTW stop being know it all when clearly opposite the case

Dr Jack is exactly correct. I exited the Kingdom for a couple of weeks and re-entered 7 days before my Multi O-A expired. My reentry stamp was for 1 year from the date of entry.

I hope this is possible for you given the current situation.

Best of luck.

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

What the. 

Visas cannot be renewed. An O-A grants 12 month permission of stay for every entry prior to it's expiry. Means you can obtain 2 years of stay in Thailand. 

You cannot obtain 12 month extension at immigration.

BTW stop being know it all when clearly opposite the case

Apologies. I edited that as fast as l could. It was in reply to Peter someone. 

Your answer was perfect and much appreciated. 

3 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

Dr Jack is exactly correct. I exited the Kingdom for a couple of weeks and re-entered 7 days before my Multi O-A expired. My reentry stamp was for 1 year from the date of entry.

I hope this is possible for you given the current situation.

Best of luck.

Thanks for that! 

Thanks to those who gave me the information l needed. 

Again my apologies to Dr Jack64 as my comment wasn't aimed at you. I am not used to this system and screwed up my reply aimed at someone else. 

OP > Iwould like to know If a 1 year OA visa can be extended at Chaengwattana for a further year. 

All l  want is a direct answer. Nothing else is relevant. 

>>> Direct answer is NO.

But your question is incorrectly phrased, and hence cannot be answered correctly according to what you want to know and so the answer will not actually help you further.

Both @Peterw42 and @DrJack54 tried to give a correct answer.

Reminds me of the saying that you can only ask a meaningful question if you know already half of the answer...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

No, a visa cannot be extended. You can however extend your stay after the visa has expired.

Peter 42

Thanks for the lesson. 

I wasn't asking if l could renew it after it expired. This is exactly why l am so reluctant to post here

You really want to exit Thailand at this time? With the restrictions on foreigners on entering Thailand? You don't have to get the second year that you get for leaving and re-entering. You can get a 1 year extension at the end of your first year on the OA. You have to meet the financial and various other requirements of course.

7 minutes ago, pauln said:

Peter 42

Thanks for the lesson. 

I wasn't asking if l could renew it after it expired. This is exactly why l am so reluctant to post here. 

You asked if you could extend an OA visa and for a direct answer, the answer is No. 

3 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

OP > Iwould like to know If a 1 year OA visa can be extended at Chaengwattana for a further year. 

All l  want is a direct answer. Nothing else is relevant. 

>>> Direct answer is NO.

But your question is incorrectly phrased, and hence cannot be answered correctly according to what you want to know and so the answer will not actually help you further.

Both @Peterw42 and @DrJack54 tried to give a correct answer.

Reminds me of the saying that you can only ask a meaningful question if you know already half of the answer...

I received a clear answer. 

4 minutes ago, Martyp said:

You really want to exit Thailand at this time? With the restrictions on foreigners on entering Thailand? You don't have to get the second year that you get for leaving and re-entering. You can get a 1 year extension at the end of your first year on the OA. You have to meet the financial and various other requirements of course.

Please read my question which has already been answered as l said. 

I don't like this forum as people start lecturing each other and going off at a tanget. 

Where did l say l was going anywhere? Don't bother answering. 

OP, as for obtaining a 12 month permission of stay based on retirement. That is possible. You would need to satisfy various requirements. For example if it was money in bank method, you would need 800k baht in THAI bank for 2 months prior to application. The other kicker is that because you have an O-A you will need insurance from Thai company. 

You can apply for the extension up to 45 days prior to your current O-A expiry at some offices and 30 days at others. Then you can repeat that each year.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, as for obtaining a 12 month permission of stay based on retirement. That is possible. You would need to satisfy various requirements. For example if it was money in bank method, you would need 800k baht in THAI bank for 2 months prior to application. The other kicker is that because you have an O-A you will need insurance from Thai company. 

You can apply for the extension up to 45 days prior to your current O-A expiry at some offices and 30 days at others. Then you can repeat that each year.

Thanks for that. 

11 hours ago, pauln said:

I would like to know If a 1 year OA visa can be extended at Chaengwattana for a further year. 

I have the same problem, come to the end of the first year of my OA in April, I'd planned to fly out (or cross a border) and reenter to secure a further 12 months permission to stay. Unfortunately it looks like getting the second year is now out of the window. 

12 hours ago, pauln said:

No, the life of the Visa itself cannot be extended and is fixed at the 'Enter Before Date' shown, a year after the Date of Issue . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

I have the same problem, come to the end of the first year of my OA in April, I'd planned to fly out (or cross a border) and reenter to secure a further 12 months permission to stay. Unfortunately it looks like getting the second year is now out of the window. 

When does your visa expire?

You could get a 30 day extension at immigration with a letter from your embassy.

Even flying out and back is out of the question now since you would not be able to enter the country.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Yes, unfortunately if you did not exit/re-enter Thailand during the validity period of your 1-year OA Visa, you will almost surely not be able to do it now and hence will lose the 12 month permission to stay a re-entry would have given you.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

When does your visa expire?

You could get a 30 day extension at immigration with a letter from your embassy.

Even flying out and back is out of the question now since you would not be able to enter the country.

Visa expires in mid April, but I do have a current stamp until later this year from re-entry on the visa last October, so I still have permission to stay for around 6 more months. I'll just lose getting the full second year I was planning on - I'm assuming there's no way immigration would give this in country. 

Edited by lamyai3
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

I'll just lose getting the full second year I was planning on - I'm assuming there's no way immigration would give this in country. 

That would not be possible.

To bad you didn't do a border hop for a new year when all of this first started.

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That would not be possible.

To bad you didn't do a border hop for a new year when all of this first started.

Yes, the whole situation has developed so fast. I had flights booked but obviously they've now been cancelled. Nonetheless, I'm in a better position than many people right now, I still have several months left on the permission to stay.

• Like 1