Figs / progatation

25 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

The world is going to hell

A little OTT, wouldn't you say? 

Life still goes on. If we all take this approach, then we might as well prepare the noose. 

Glad I made you chuckle though ???? I'm watching Fawlty Towers and that's my laugh for the day. 

Edited by djayz

2 minutes ago, djayz said:

A little OTT, wouldn't you say? 

Life still goes on. If we all take this approach, then we might as well prepare the noose. 

Glad I made you chuckle though ???? I'm watching Fawlty Towers and that's my laugh for the day. 

I watch Thai Soaps for my daily humor fix...????

Cuttings: out of 20 cuttings I took, two grew on. That was in the dry hot season, like now.

They do like rainy weather, irrigititation doesn't seem to help them grow at all. Layering works every time.

So if you can't do layering, I would take cuttings when it starts to rain.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Cooked. Yes, I'm going to start airlayering tomorrow or Sunday at the latest. My figs have grown vigorously over the past 3-4 weeks. I sprinkled a generous handful of cow manure around them and gave them a micronutrient spray in February. They're watered 2-3 time a week and I must say, the growth in the last month is absolutely amazing! 

And the amount of fruit on the trees is crazy!!! So much! Unbelievable. 

Anyways, I must prune them back so I've decided to airlayer them first - kill two birds with one stone so to say. I spent the afternoon picking and cutting off the side shoots. Just need to prep the coir/peat mix and should be ready to go tomorrow afternoon. 

I've tried rooting various cuttings, but my success rate was absolutely abysmal. 

Any regular contributors to the farming/gardening thread interested in a free fig tree just drop me a PM. IF they root, I'll gladly send you a plant or two. If not, next time.

Edited by djayz
  • Like 1