BANGKOK
vanbrit548

Lao partner cannot do Border run for his 30 day stamp

My Laos partner who lives with me in Pattaya normally gets his passport stamped every 30 days by doing a border run.  At present all borders are closed with little sign of them reopening any time soon.  Wondering what he can do? I heard that 30 day extensions may be granted if he gets a letter from the Laos embassy.  So that will involve us heading to Bangkok and possibly waiting several days to obtain.  Is anyone else in the same boat? Any suggestions?

First step is to contact the Lao embassy. Assuming you can get through, there must surely be someone who can advise you.

Somehow i doubt that neighbouring countries issue such a letter, because all it takes for him to get home to his country is a few hours drive. But asking doesn't hurt, so just call the Laos embassy or send an email.

A friend of mine has the same problem. Her visa stamp expires on 1st April. She went to the Laos embassy in Bangkok yesterday. As you can imagine, they were very busy. She was told to go back on 31st March and they would give her the extension.

I hope this helps.

Yes, I have the same problem with a girlfriend from Laos who's currently in the Bang Lamung district which happens to be a long way from Bangkok, so the possibility of traveling to the Laos Embassy in BKK is no longer an option for her. I also think it would be highly irresponsible for her to now return to Laos, which is just starting to show early signs of the virus, when she could catch en route and cause further major community spread in her own country by returning. Clearly, the best thing for her to do is to hunker down in her Thai province and wait for the possibility of extending her current 30-day stamp through other means. It would help greatly if the Thai government considered migrants from neighbouring countries who need immediate guidance and assistance in extending their stay by not having to cross the border or travel to an embassy in the capital city.

Edited by Senior Player

10 hours ago, vanbrit548 said:

I heard that 30 day extensions may be granted if he gets a letter from the Laos embassy

The border is still open to him isn't it? It might be that they hence do not issue the letters... can you contact them? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, samsensam said:

common sense suggests contact the embassy.

The Laos embassy isn't answering its calls in Bangkok. Perhaps its overwhelmed? Don't you think people have already tried that avenue? 

There's a good piece in the Bangkok Post beseeching the Thai government to relax its rules on those with 30-day visa exempts and calling for them to end the tourist paper chase. Unfortunately, the Thai government's online processing capabilities exclude those holding a 30-day tourist visa who wish to extend it. Not that I have any faith in their online processing capabilities as many tourists find it next to impossible to get it to work for them for other purposes. The sensible thing would be for the Thai gov to extend all visas or 30-day exempts automatically during this State of Emergency just as Indonesia, the UK and NZ amongst others have done. The trouble is the Thai gov is obsessed with bureaucracy rather than common sense. 

<removed>

Edited by ubonjoe
removed link to Bangkok Post (forum rule)
  • Haha 1

On 3/27/2020 at 10:20 AM, vanbrit548 said:

Nor is the Lao embassy responding to emails.  😮😞.  

My Laos girlfriend seems to think she's allowed to stay in LOS due to this letter. I can't read it myself so I'm dubious about her claims. I don't know if this helps?

Thai Loas photo_LI.jpg

Edited by Senior Player

13 minutes ago, Senior Player said:

My Laos girlfriend seems to think she's allowed to stay in LOS due to this letter. I can't read it myself so I'm dubious about her claims. I don't know if this helps?

Thai Loas photo_LI.jpg

The Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Interior of Thailand is asking immigration police to help people who are affected from Covid 19 and might not be able to travel home.

So it doesn't have any relevance for us.