Lao partner cannot do Border run for his 30 day stamp

5 hours ago, vanbrit548 said:

did you resolve this? My partner got 7 days to leave by April 10th! no idea what to do ????

No, I'm afraid not. It hasn't been resolved as the Thai government have been saying they'd extend length of stay automatically but have yet to announce any official guidelines on the matter.

Currently, she is in the process of arranging a trip to BKK with friends to acquire a letter from the Laos Embassy so she can then go to her regional immigration office to get a further 30-day extension. Her position is that her current 30-day stamp expires on April 8th so she cannot afford to wait any longer, especially with the possibility of a daily 500 baht fine accumulating. I believe her faith in the Thai government doing the right thing is slowly evaporating, much like the farrang tourists in the same position as her.

I'll let you know how she gets on when she gets it together.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 4:56 AM, vanbrit548 said:

did you resolve this? My partner got 7 days to leave by April 10th! no idea what to do ????

UPDATE My girlfriend made her journey from Pattaya to the Laos Embassy in BKK to get her certificate and was successful in obtaining one. However, the queues outside were horrendous and it took something close to 4 hours to get to the front of the queue. This was despite her leaving Pattaya in a taxi at 5am to get there early. So be warned, even setting off early won't necessarily give you that much of an advantage. Clearly, you need to set-off as early as possible but don't think by doing so you'll beat the long queues. 

Here's a couple of photos taken today (7th April) outside the Laos Embassy to give you an idea of the long waiting process. Tomorrow she has to go to Jomtien Immigration early and queue up all over again.

Laos Embassy 1.jpg

Laos Embassy 2.jpg

2 hours ago, vanbrit548 said:

Thank you for the update. Very Much appreciated. My partner did the same and got his letter also after a long wait. so next hurdle to  jump is Jomtien immigration!

That's good to hear. Yes, tomorrow is the next hurdle at Jomtien immigration. I think it was wise of both your partner and mine not to wait for the Thai government to make their lamentable automatic visa renewal announcement. The Thai government has been procrastinating for far too long on this urgent matter. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Senior Player said:

That's good to hear. Yes, tomorrow is the next hurdle at Jomtien immigration. I think it was wise of both your partner and mine not to wait for the Thai government to make their lamentable automatic visa renewal announcement. The Thai government has been procrastinating for far too long on this urgent matter. 

First up. Hope all goes well tomorrow.

I have posted this next point in few threads. The AUTOMATIC word was used by news sources and journalist.

Fact is that word means nothing. It may turn out to be ongoing extensions without the embassy letter. 

No one should commence overstay. Or read ANYTHING into the news re Automatic extensions.

Obtain your first or second extension as rules currently stand. 

Edited by DrJack54