No, your shrimp curry isn’t infected

snoop1130

No, your shrimp curry isn’t infected

By The Nation

800_b18ced0652f37bd.jpg

There is no Covid-19 virus in any of the fish or shellfish from Thai waters that you might eat, says the Department of Fisheries, but it’s only common sense to make sure the food is cooked thoroughly before it’s consumed.

Deputy director-general Banjong Chamnongsittham pointed out that there have been no reports anywhere in the world of seafood carrying the virus, whether raw or cooked.

But the department is on guard for public health and constantly checks the quality of food products originating in the sea and on fish farms, he said.

It’s also hoping to protect fishermen from sharing the contagion among themselves by limiting the months they can catch fish and their time spent at sea, Banjong said.

The Covid-19 crisis has badly hurt the fishery business and the department has promoted sales online to help offset the impact, he said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384894

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-26

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Deputy director-general Banjong Chamnongsittham pointed out that there have been no reports anywhere in the world of seafood carrying the virus, whether raw or cooked.

But the department is on guard for public health and constantly checks the quality of food products originating in the sea and on fish farms, he said.

It may be true.
On the other hand, he forgets to specify under what conditions all these "seafood" are raised which are full of pesticides and other heavy metals (mercury etc.) poured into rivers and the sea without any protection.
I have never eaten crustaceans, lobster, mussels ... from the Thai fishing industry.
No desire to die in excruciating pain after ingesting heavy metal.
And I never buy frozen products in Thailand either; when you see how the cold chain is absolutely not respected, it makes you want to vomit.

I'm surprised that supermarkets like Big C still leave food out in the open for all and sundry to cough and sneeze on. Not limited to seafood either, today I walked past uncovered donuts and other baked goods.

I appreciate that they have temperature checks and hand sanitizer when you walk in, but they should step up their measures inside the store as well.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Mak25 said:

I am not worried about the shrimp, but rather about the hygiene of the person preparing it. I was watching a villa market security guard taking off his mask (looked like used for several days already) and grabbing some dried food samples from the common bowl with his bare hand. Not only are the food samples now contaminated with whatever he touched before but also whatever was filtered by his mask. I don't understand why some people just don't have a comprehension of proper hygiene and keeping a safe distance to others. I guess they just have never been taught properly.

Nothing beats the guys that take a sh*t/<deleted> at public toilets (ex. shopping mall) and walk right past the sinks out the door.

22 hours ago, Caldera said:

I'm surprised that supermarkets like Big C still leave food out in the open for all and sundry to cough and sneeze on. Not limited to seafood either, today I walked past uncovered donuts and other baked goods.

I appreciate that they have temperature checks and hand sanitizer when you walk in, but they should step up their measures inside the store as well.

Hygiene in a country where meat is sold openly in wet markets after laying down on a wooden counter for hours is basically an unknown thing. It's a small wonder the entire Asia hasn't died of food poisoning yet.