Divorce Advice

Winders67

Hello im in the UK married to a Thai wife in Thailand two years ago we have a 4 yr girl UK passport ,my wife isn't a resident of the UK so im going send her home as she drinks and causes big problems .

iv have had advise i can do this in the uk 

When she returns what are the rules for divorce in Thailand fiances etc My ASSETS HAVE NOT NOT UP PRIOR TO OUR MARRIAGE IF ANYTHING I HAVE LESS 

any help please 

• Sad 1

Yes the lawyer said she could try do a divorce over here but she cant get legal aid and it would cost much more money than she as in her purse and the lawyer told me if i tell immigration we are not together her visa is void and she as to leave the UK and she cant take the our daughter with out me agreeing.

I want to no what she can try get from me in Thailand 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Winders67 said:

Yes the lawyer said she could try do a divorce over here but she cant get legal aid and it would cost much more money than she as in her purse and the lawyer told me if i tell immigration we are not together her visa is void and she as to leave the UK and she cant take the our daughter with out me agreeing.

I want to no what she can try get from me in Thailand 

If you don’t have assets in Thailand then the answer is nothing. Her only option is to go for UK assets, and as you have said she neither has the means or the knowledge to do that. 

Do you have assets in Thailand?

36 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Sounds like you are worried about the money.

I thought that was a Thai thing.

Anyway, what about your kid? Child support, etc.

Or, you going to abandon support?

Ive just been reading the post and they think im trying to save money thats far from the truth i was married to an english lady she left me and took 180k from me im only just back to normal . Now i have a Thai wife who upsets me and the kids every week and i cant take anymore .If she changed i would try but this as been going on for 18 months plus 

Im 52 i cant my  life away again i want to take care my daughter its a pity my wife dont think the same ,only care friends drinking and her family back home 

39 minutes ago, pdtokyo said:

(a) develop a bit of empathy

(b) try to help with the drinking problem

(c) ask yourself, if, possibly, the drinking problem is connected to your behaviour or your presumably joint decision to live in UK

(d) develop a bit of empathy

(e) consider putting the well-being of the child before your assets 

(f) ask yourself how you would feel in wife's situation ... the picture you paint is not pretty from her point of view ("send her home"??? wow!)

(g) develop a bit of empathy

(h) don't be a Cheap Charlie (Cheap Charles in UK i suppose) ... you have assets and a UK lawyer but you are seeking free advice on a free website ... at the same time that you are effectively gloating that your wife will not have the resources to pay for any legal advice

(i) develop a bit of empathy 

... it's a long list but take it easy, break it down, maybe start on (a), (d), (g) and (i)

... better still, skip (i) you've got that nailed already.

Privately though ... and i write as a low-asset sort of 67 yo male who lost 50% of his assets to GFC and then 50% of the remainder to a very toxic ex-wife ... so really i should feel some empathy with you) ... one outcome may be ... 

she finds some help with her problem

re-establishes a healthy connection with her daughter (usually hers because she did most of the work creating her)

takes you to the cleaners an

meets another guy with ... more empathy.

Good luck and be sure to keep your free legal team here in TV posted.

this as been going on for 18 months she ruined our family not me 

40 minutes ago, pdtokyo said:

(a) develop a bit of empathy

(b) try to help with the drinking problem

(c) ask yourself, if, possibly, the drinking problem is connected to your behaviour or your presumably joint decision to live in UK

(d) develop a bit of empathy

(e) consider putting the well-being of the child before your assets 

(f) ask yourself how you would feel in wife's situation ... the picture you paint is not pretty from her point of view ("send her home"??? wow!)

(g) develop a bit of empathy

(h) don't be a Cheap Charlie (Cheap Charles in UK i suppose) ... you have assets and a UK lawyer but you are seeking free advice on a free website ... at the same time that you are effectively gloating that your wife will not have the resources to pay for any legal advice

(i) develop a bit of empathy 

... it's a long list but take it easy, break it down, maybe start on (a), (d), (g) and (i)

... better still, skip (i) you've got that nailed already.

Privately though ... and i write as a low-asset sort of 67 yo male who lost 50% of his assets to GFC and then 50% of the remainder to a very toxic ex-wife ... so really i should feel some empathy with you) ... one outcome may be ... 

she finds some help with her problem

re-establishes a healthy connection with her daughter (usually hers because she did most of the work creating her)

takes you to the cleaners an

meets another guy with ... more empathy.

Good luck and be sure to keep your free legal team here in TV posted.

you say im bad to send her home if she stays and i allow her too she would want me to supply a house and food till the day die ,what have i done wrong to deserve this .

It sounds as though the wife does have a visa to remain in the UK and is on holiday there yet the child has a UK passport?

Also, when you say you're married does that mean you were legally married at an Amphur in Thailand or something else?

If those things are true:

You could divorce the wife under UK law but then there's the issue of custody which would be complex I reckon, either way you would loose up to 50% of your UK assets and possible child support as well, assuming you don't get custody.

Your wife could divorce you under UK law and the same would apply, custody and maintenance would be big issues, she only needs a tourist visa to get to the UK to begin that process or perhaps it could be done remotely, I don't know.

Thai divorce laws are not dissimilar to UK divorce laws, assets are split 50/50 and maintenance is required for young children.

Don't think for one second that you can ship her back to Thailand, divorce her in the UK and that will be the end of the matter because she has plenty of options.

47 minutes ago, saengd said:

It sounds as though the wife does have a visa to remain in the UK and is on holiday there yet the child has a UK passport?

Also, when you say you're married does that mean you were legally married at an Amphur in Thailand or something else?

You could divorce the wife under UK law but then there's the issue of custody which would be complex I reckon, either way you would loose up to 50% of your UK assets and possible child support as well, assuming you don't get custody.

Your wife could divorce you under UK law and the same would apply, custody and maintenance would be big issues, she only needs a tourist visa to get to the UK to begin that process or perhaps it could be done remotely, I don't know.

Thai divorce laws are not dissimilar to UK divorce laws, assets are split 50/50 and maintenance is required for young children.

Don't think for one second that you can ship her back to Thailand, divorce her in the UK and that will be the end of the matter because she has plenty of options.

I was told in Thai law what you in after the marriage is and asset not previous assets 

Also what about me why should i pay for a drunk to live in the uk i go to work every day i want to look after my family 

She as no money to get back to the uk  and then if she did it would cost £10000s to divorce me over here a she cant get legal aid 

51 minutes ago, saengd said:

Divorce her in the uk id be mad she wants to live here and get free money from me 

4 minutes ago, Winders67 said:

Divorce her in the uk id be mad she wants to live here and get free money from me 

What if she divorces you in the UK, that would be the same thing and she could do that. And since the child has a UK passport I guess her getting residency is not a far fetched idea.

Edited by saengd

5 minutes ago, saengd said:

What if she divorces you in the UK, that would be the same thing and she could do that. And since the child has a UK passport I guess her getting residency is not a far fetched idea.

So who will pay for her flight back and lawyers fee estimated at 400,000 baht 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Winders67 said:

you say im bad to send her home if she stays and i allow her too she would want me to supply a house and food till the day die ,what have i done wrong to deserve this .

If you are telling the true story,  do not pay attention to the "have empathy"  or you are selfish

critics.    Take care of you and your child.   

7 hours ago, pdtokyo said:

Goodonya donnacha, we approach the bottom of page 2 and the first serious discussion of the child and still zero response from OP on that aspect of the relationship ... despite a bit of prodding.

i too am not a lawyer, but have more first-hand experience (as a self-represented customer of the Oz Family Court) than i ever wanted or expected.

The UK scenario you describe is identical to Oz and even the notoriously narsty Oz IMMI system leans over backwards to keep spouse visa holders resident if a child is involved. Oz IMMI are also recently ''woke'' to the position of 'mail-order' brides find themselves in when things go sour, children or not.

i would be very surprised if UK IMMI does not actively counsel her and explain her options (in Thai if required) the minute the charming OP withdraws his sponsorship.

OP's plan to "send her home" (like a dud Amazon order?) is imo delusional and i too would love to know more about his 'lawyer' ... maybe he's also posting on a freeby UK site and getting his advice from there?

What a pity we will never get to hear the wife's story, except via the OP.

The wife story is she drink and makes the kids cry , i have one other daughter who i have brought up myself age 8yrs her mother died of cancer .i dont want to ship her off but what options do i have she as ruined my family 

6 hours ago, rumak said:

If you are telling the true story,  do not pay attention to the "have empathy"  or you are selfish

critics.    Take care of you and your child.   

With my heart im telling the true i did love my wife but she as turned into a monster , i have one other daughter aged 8yr and her mum died of cancer 

8 hours ago, donnacha said:

A lawyer told you that? Really?

She cannot take her daughter out of the country without your agreement, but she will absolutely be allowed to stay in the UK until the custody of your daughter is settled. She will almost certainly win custody, then she will be allowed to stay in the UK and proceed towards citizenship on the basis of her daughter's citizenship, and you will have to pay, at the very least, child support.

If she does not win custody - and, again, that would be highly unusual - she will almost certainly have visitation rights, be allowed to remain in the UK, and proceed towards citizenship.

I am not a lawyer, but the rights of mothers are very strong in the UK, and the right of a British child to her mother is one of surest bets for residency and citizenship.

That isnt what my lawyer said they said yes she can divorce but she will have to pay as she as no legal aid and she as no were to live so she would have to leave thats what the lawyer told me 

12 minutes ago, pdtokyo said:

If that's what your 'lawyer' told you, i don't believe it.

If that's not what your lawyer told you, then i don't believe you.

Either way, it's 'unfollow time for me ...

Best of luck 'shipping her off' and holding on to your assets

donnacha you've got broader shoulders than me ...  

You havent read the notes 

she gets drunk

i have an 8yr old also her mother died 

i cant afford to let her stay here and pay for her house and living cost 

Im not shipping her off 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/27/2020 at 9:04 AM, AlexRich said:

I’m not sure about Thailand, but if you have a legal marriage in the UK your assets are very much up for grabs, and that would be my focus, as Thai law has no jurisdiction in the UK. Good luck.

If she returns to LOS she can't do anything in the UK as obviously not rich enough. From the OP she does not appear to have a legal UK marriage, only Thai.

On 3/27/2020 at 6:03 AM, Winders67 said:

Umm generally if you choose to marry someone and have a child this is how it is......even more so if you choose Thai wife.