Thailand’s COVID-19 cases might reach 3,000 by end of April

webfact

If your taking bets I’ll put everything I own on it conservatively trebling that figure by the end of April. Of course you could slow or stop testing to arrive under that figure but the fact will remain this is going to spread like a bush fire and there is not much anyone can do about it unfortunately as that time has already passed and the failure of this government and every other government to act when it should have was 3 months ago this virus would have already stopped. Leaving borders open with a wait and see was the mistake and I for one said it. Suck it up initially and get back to normal quicker which was only common sense after all.

• Haha 1

CALL ME CRAZY....

I'm actually thinking most of us got this last year.  The dry cough, flu.....so most Thais got it as well.

we thought it was from pollution.  it wasn't.

About a year ago.....   don't be the house on this logic.  lol

Edited by Ventenio

2 hours ago, TheAppletons said:

Another person who doesn't understand exponential spread.

The infections double every six days (or less) depending upon what measures are taken in a particular country.  (In the USA, it's been every 3-4 days.)

Thailand will have in excess of 50,000 cases by the end of April if cases double every six days.   

Yes. 3000 is wishful thinking. However the R0 is greatly reduced with widespread face mask wearing, social distancing and perhaps, but not proven yet, warm weather. So it might not grow this fast.

Edited by DeeMak9
  • Haha 1

The infections double every six days (or less) depending upon what measures are taken in a particular country.  (In the USA, it's been every 3-4 days.)

Thailand will have in excess of 50,000 cases by the end of April if cases double every six days.   

And that is if the improbable current figures are taken as true.

Truth is nobody has any idea of the current scale of the pandemic in Thailand or how many people will end up infected.

I think those numbers seem overly optimistic.  Look at America where cases are doubling every 3-4 days and they actually have millions of free tests available almost everywhere now and full lockdowns in most states. That's what scares me the most.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, justaphase said:

Umm, when it takes hold the number of infections will double every 3 days. Thailand is about 2 weeks behind the UK. They're just hitting 10,000, and the UK is 2 weeks behind Italy.

I've been following this since Jan 10th, can't anyone see the severity?

Contagion high, mortality mostly older folk, who generally will have comorbidites(cardiac, diabetes,eneral lower immunity) , currently most exposed will recover seems that rate is around 95% or higher, depending on several factors.

Mortality rate higher in Italy as they have a much older population (percentage wise) compared with other western countries

Italy

Age structure:

0-14 years: 13.6% (male 4,326,862 /female 4,136,562)
15-24 years: 9.61% (male 2,994,651 /female 2,984,172)
25-54 years: 41.82% (male 12,845,442 /female 13,183,240)
55-64 years: 13.29% (male 4,012,640 /female 4,261,956)
65 years and over: 21.69% (male 5,817,819 /female 7,683,330) (2018 est.)

sUSA

Age structure:

0-14 years: 18.62% (male 31,329,121 /female 29,984,705)
15-24 years: 13.12% (male 22,119,340 /female 21,082,599)
25-54 years: 39.29% (male 64,858,646 /female 64,496,889)
55-64 years: 12.94% (male 20,578,432 /female 22,040,267)
65 years and over: 16.03% (male 23,489,515 /female 29,276,951) (2018 est.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This isn't exponential either, it is a simple ax2 function. Exponential would be ax. We'd be dead soon. 

High school 6 maths were I come from. But that was 50 years ago as far as I am concerned.

13 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

CALL ME CRAZY....

I'm actually thinking most of us got this last year.  The dry cough, flu.....so most Thais got it as well.

Guess it is just wishful thinking, but must admit I been thinking along those lines as well.. 

3 hours ago, stuhan said:

I think 9000 by mid to end april if it continues, but i prey it does not come to that.

It would be a miracle if there were only 9000 cases by the end of April. There well may be more than that already ( without wholesale testing its purely guesswork ).

Why would you even worry about 9000 , most countries would love to keep infections so low.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaiDong said:

I remember when a Thai Scientist came forward and pronounced that Thailand would suffer(marginally) less than some other nations with rising sea levels. He turned out to be correct, despite many comments of derision - including mine.

So let's give this fella a chance, shall we? As others have said, the temperature here could help prevent the spread, the amount of people wearing facemasks could help prevent the spread too, as in Italy I don't believe many wore masks in the early stages?...

Anyhow, don't we all WANT him to be right in his conservative estimate? Or even overestimating the numbers?

How many get the virus depends a lot on how closely people follow physical distancing now, as well as how widely the government tests and makes results public (so that clusters can be contained).  So I'm not sure we can predict a number at a certain time - should be a range of possible outcomes.  And as others have pointed out, I'm not sure we have accurate numbers for where Thailand is right now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Contagion high, mortality mostly older folk, who generally will have comorbidites(cardiac, diabetes,eneral lower immunity) , currently most exposed will recover seems that rate is around 95% or higher, depending on several factors.

Mortality rate higher in Italy as they have a much older population (percentage wise) compared with other western countries

Italy

Age structure:

0-14 years: 13.6% (male 4,326,862 /female 4,136,562)
15-24 years: 9.61% (male 2,994,651 /female 2,984,172)
25-54 years: 41.82% (male 12,845,442 /female 13,183,240)
55-64 years: 13.29% (male 4,012,640 /female 4,261,956)
65 years and over: 21.69% (male 5,817,819 /female 7,683,330) (2018 est.)

sUSA

Age structure:

0-14 years: 18.62% (male 31,329,121 /female 29,984,705)
15-24 years: 13.12% (male 22,119,340 /female 21,082,599)
25-54 years: 39.29% (male 64,858,646 /female 64,496,889)
55-64 years: 12.94% (male 20,578,432 /female 22,040,267)
65 years and over: 16.03% (male 23,489,515 /female 29,276,951) (2018 est.)

Russia and Thailand, for instance have life expectancies that are even lower than in the US, which could explain to some extent why the infection can proceed silently with fewer deaths in these two countries. I think the whole problem is to assess the impact of the virus crisis in terms of reduced life expectancy, which may end up being of only a few months. In years coming historians might write that the virus has reduced the global life expectancy by a couple of years, while the subsequent collapse of the economy reduced it by a couple of years.

5 minutes ago, tomster said:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/22/world/coronavirus-spread.html

Thailand had more inbound tourists from Wuhan than any other country in the World when the infection was raging there.

Think that there may need to be just a tad more testing to get the true numbers of infections.

We would all have had the CV by now if we were infected by the Chinese visitors last month....Tour buses from China were halted early February

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Russia and Thailand, for instance have life expectancies that are even lower than in the US, which could explain to some extent why the infection can proceed silently with fewer deaths in these two countries. I think the whole problem is to assess the impact of the virus crisis in terms of reduced life expectancy, which may end up being of only a few months. In years coming historians might write that the virus has reduced the global life expectancy by a couple of years, while the subsequent collapse of the economy reduced it by a couple of years.

True, although Russia remains in the top 3 countries in the world for the lung disease tuberculosis.  (India, China, then Russia).  So Russia may generally have younger, but less well, people.

7 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

We would all have had the CV by now if we were infected by the Chinese visitors last month....Tour buses from China were halted early February

How would you know , how many of you or your friends have actually been tested. Bear in mind that many people will display no or very mild symptoms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheAppletons said:

Just a few days ago, almost nobody wore masks in my area, but this morning I went to the market, and everybody was wearing a mask, so hopefully it can be somewhat contained.

• Haha 1

A post dragging Mr Trump into the topic has been removed.

A post in giant bold fonts has been removed also replies. If you wish your post to stay up do not post in this manner

When will the Thais realize silence is a form of intelligence, today they have 1045 cases, we have been told it doubles every 3 to 4 days so just on those figures the number will be closer to 260,000 infected, but history shows when it comes to numbers and figures they can't help themselves, and because like every other rule and law in Thailand they don't apply God help you

• Haha 1