Koh Samui and the virus: First case of Covid-19 reported - it's a 49 year old French man

webfact

Koh Samui and the virus: First case of Covid-19 reported - it's a 49 year old French man

1pm.jpg

Holiday island Koh Samui has reported its first case of coronavirus. 

It is a 49 year old French national who lives on the island with his French wife and two daughters who attend international school there.

Koh Samui Hospital director Dr Khamrop Decharatanawichai headed a press conference yesterday in which full details were given of the man's travel and relevant health history as well as that of his close family members. 

The man was not feeling well so he sat at the back of Air France flight AF 0166 from Paris to Suvarnabhumi on March 17th. He was wearing a mask. 

The same day he boarded Bangkok Airways PG 963 departing at 11.30 am to Samui and sat in seat 24 C. 

By March 24th he had developed a cough and had difficulties with his breathing. He went to Bangkok Samui Hospital where an xray flagged up a lung infection. A subsequent test at Koh Samui hospital indicated he had the coronavirus by 25th March.

He was not suffering serious symptoms and is on medication. His French wife and two daughters have tested negative. 

They are living apart in two properties. The man is isolated. 

The wife arrived in Thailand on March 8th from Malaysia on PG 952 (Bangkok Airways).

The two daughters who both attend an international school on the island arrived from Paris last August and in January.

All 13 people who flew with the Frenchman on PG 963 to Samui have been traced and are in quarantine.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-27
  • Like 1

Tracking down all the people who flew, and all the people those people have been in contact with is a never ending task, given how the air-conditioning works on planes. The seating at the rear of the plane would do very little to reduce the airborne virus.

On planes 

The recirculation system uses two fans to move air from the passenger compartment to the mix manifold. This system reduces the amount of air that the packs need to supply. This part of the A/C system recycles approximately 50 percent of the cabin air for ventilation purposes. This reduces the quantity of fresh air.

7 hours ago, phetphet said:

Felt ill, but still flew from France where COVID had already taken hold. Not the  best idea.

Height of stupidity. Still he’s French. What do you expect. They just shrug their shoulders, put a scarf round their neck and infect loads of people. Should be locked up. Putins got the right idea.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nausea said:

Pretty convenient that, the first "reported" case being a Frenchman.

How did he manage to pass the temperature test which I understood was automatically part of the immigration procedure?

And was he the only one to slip through the net? Guess we will find out the hard way.

On 3/27/2020 at 11:04 AM, Krataiboy said:

How did he manage to pass the temperature test which I understood was automatically part of the immigration procedure?

And was he the only one to slip through the net? Guess we will find out the hard way.

Temperature control only catch those having a fever. Tons of people having the Corona virus never develops any fever at all or even get symptoms. But still infect. Many of us could have the disease and not even knowing it, which is why it's so spooky, because we could run around spreading it. I got 6 more days left in quarantine after returning to Europe from Thailand and will be nice to get outside again. No symptoms so far, but I wish everyone could get a antibody test to see if we had it or not. Now I have to worry about catching this disease when I get out, but if I knew I had it allready I could relax. 

1 hour ago, Virt said:

Temperature control only catch those having a fever. Tons of people having the Corona virus never develops any fever at all or even get symptoms. But still infect. Many of us could have the disease and not even knowing it, which is why it's so spooky, because we could run around spreading it. I got 6 more days left in quarantine after returning to Europe from Thailand and will be nice to get outside again. No symptoms so far, but I wish everyone could get a antibody test to see if we had it or not. Now I have to worry about catching this disease when I get out, but if I knew I had it allready I could relax. 

Asymptomatic spread of the virus does not appear all that common at this time. Otherwise, I think the spread of infection would be much faster. I would suggest anyone who has any infection, should isolate until they have recovered - unless it's serious enough for a visit to the hospital. Coronavirus Infection is still mainly though droplet infection (coughing/sneezing) or though contamination of surfaces. Keeping ones distance, wearing masks correctly, and the use of sanitisers are still the main ways to reduce the rate of spread. Most people outside Bkk don't do this yet, and this is a worry. Not until dozens of grandparents start dying, and by then it could be too late.