Anyone DYI curing and drying Salamis and sausages

ezzra

• 3 weeks later...

I have been curing meat and making sausages for a couple of years. Bacon and hams are easy using a frdge, but it tends to be too cold for cured sausage. Had a couple of cases where the bad mold grew faster than the good mold. Looking to get a wine fridge for curing when things get back to normal.

My best was 'Ndjuga' during a cold spell a few years ago during a cold spell when I could hang in the house.

Made a few cheeses that tasted good but are a lot of effort.

Supplies like curing salts, cheese cultures obtained from 'Thai Artisan' in Phuket, they have a web site and are on Facebook. The River Cottage meat curing book has recipes that do not use nitrates/nitrites.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PBob said:

I have been curing meat and making sausages for a couple of years. Bacon and hams are easy using a frdge, but it tends to be too cold for cured sausage. Had a couple of cases where the bad mold grew faster than the good mold. Looking to get a wine fridge for curing when things get back to normal.

My best was 'Ndjuga' during a cold spell a few years ago during a cold spell when I could hang in the house.

Made a few cheeses that tasted good but are a lot of effort.

Supplies like curing salts, cheese cultures obtained from 'Thai Artisan' in Phuket, they have a web site and are on Facebook. The River Cottage meat curing book has recipes that do not use nitrates/nitrites.

Have you ever thought of fitting a temperature controller to your fridge, all you do is plug your fridge into it, then you can regulate your fridge to whatever temp you so wish. I have used one for years they are very good, all for a few hundred baht.

download.jpeg

2 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Eating animals is disgusting and cruel.

We all are omnivores , that's our species . Eating only meat is no good for you , but neither is eating only vegetables ( you can but then you have to watch what you eat so that you get all the needed components ) .  We are animals , and same like many other animals on the planet , we do eat other animals . It is called nature ... same like a tree pushes away other plants so he can grow , or the owl eating a mouse or a cow eating the grass . I love vegetables , and i love a piece of meat to eat .

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2020 at 7:28 PM, vogie said:

Have you ever thought of fitting a temperature controller to your fridge, all you do is plug your fridge into it, then you can regulate your fridge to whatever temp you so wish. I have used one for years they are very good, all for a few hundred baht.

download.jpeg

Do you know where I can get one of these?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2020 at 3:25 PM, stoutfella said:

I'm in the process of building a curing chamber but am still waiting for parts to arrive from overseas. What I will actually produce remains to be seen.

First attempt at Smoking yesterday.

i constructed the Smoker using a Metal Dustbin.Electric heater, metal tray, wire mesh and a few nuts and bolts.Total cost was Baht 2000. Google Trash Can Smoker.
I dry cured a 2kg piece of pork loin for 7 days in the fridge, turning it over every day. After 7 days rinsed it off and then soaked it in water for 2 hours to get rid of excess salt. Then placed it in the Smoker for as per the recipe 4 to 6 hours.
Firstly the heater wasn’t man enough to light the soaked wood chips. In the end I layered the tin with coconut coir which did the trick.

The 4 to 6 hour smoke was far to much. I ended up with a slightly charred piece of pork. Next time I will only smoke for 2 hours and install a temperature gauge in the lid and not place the smoking embers directly over the meat.
I just trimmed the charred bits off.

Breakfast this morning was egg Banjo’s with bacon.

Stay Safe everyone.

A14BE043-502C-4BBB-865A-2AF59103BCF8.jpeg

82D94C60-CF55-4F0D-BB5B-A0A521FB0FBC.jpeg

• Like 1