Private individual organises charter flight from Cambodia to get stranded UK tourists home

geovalin

A UK citizen in Cambodia has intervened to organise a private charter flight to take 103 stranded UK tourists home, after claims that the UK Embassy and UK government “could not have done less to help”.

Jerry Lewis, a teacher who was travelling on a sabbatical in Cambodia with his family, stepped in to help over 100 UK citizens who were facing a long and uncertain wait in Cambodia as their scheduled flights to the UK were cancelled – and the few seats on any remaining flights were costing several thousand dollars.

Members of the Facebook Group “Stuck in Cambodia UK” had approached the UK Embassy for help over the past few days but claimed they were given little help apart from standard emails and vague promises of assistance. On the 25th of March a group of tourists went the UK embassy in person, but claim they were turned away by guards.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/706336/private-individual-organises-charter-flight-from-cambodia-to-get-stranded-uk-tourists-home/

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

58 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I would wait a couple of days before the Daily Mail is chock full of, "Our government abandoned us!' rants and raves from those who could afford a holiday but didn't pay attention to the world news first.

It really should have been the responsibility of the airlines, tour companies, and Insurance companies to stop people flying and refund their holiday payment. If the people had cancelled on their own, there would have been no refunds or insurance payouts.

• Confused 1

reading the full report the flight is only to KL, I was under the impression that Malaysia had closed its borders to Foreigners . A further question is who takes them from KL ?

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It really should have been the responsibility of the airlines, tour companies, and Insurance companies to stop people flying and refund their holiday payment. If the people had cancelled on their own, there would have been no refunds or insurance payouts.

Airlines did send out notices regarding refunds, vouchers, re-scheduling. Many tourists just waited for a nanny to help. Nanny UK gov. didn't come. What a surprise. 

8 hours ago, Letseng said:

Airlines did send out notices regarding refunds, vouchers, re-scheduling. Many tourists just waited for a nanny to help. Nanny UK gov. didn't come. What a surprise. 

Was in Siem Reap last week ............

I got an email at 5:30pm (AirAsia) ....... 'Sorry, all international flights are cancelled from Mid-night tonight.'

And that was when I was already on holiday, drinking beer by the pool, so not really a lot of use.

1 week later and still no refund ...... 'refunds may take 30 days to process'

(Currently they owe me refunds on 4 flights)

If I were stupid and/or potless, I would have been totally screwed!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1