Egg Prices Up or Down

Gonzo the Face

13 hours ago, Gonzo the Face said:

How can you tell if they are fresh Ones??   I can't find a date stamp on them.

On cartons bought from Big C or Tesco the date of manufacture is printed on the label. Sometimes they push the fresher eggs to the back and leave the older ones showing at the front. I generally find the eggs in a big carton of 30 a little fresher and smaller than in the 10 baht carton.

I try to avoid buying eggs from a market for this reason because you can't always tell how fresh they are. Also , in the hot season eggs exposed to the heat tend to go off quicker. You will notice when you try to fry the egg because it runs all over the pan and bubbles up. In this case only good for omelettes or scrambled egg.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gonzo the Face said:

To go along with the above eggxaggerating .... the yokes on you  

Oh, all white then, but don't let the cracks get you down otherwise you may have to shell out for more. Lets pullet together on this one.

Went to the market yesterday and my wife had to buy duck eggs, big rich, 135 baht for 30. Egg lady told her they normally open up at 2.00 am for their egg delivery, and these days they sell out quickly so if you want chicken eggs come very early. 

They won't be open at 2.00 am now there is curfew!

So 6.00 am this morning turned up at the market, my wife bought 3 trays of 30 size 1 eggs for 135 baht each tray. We normally pay from 95 - 100 baht for that size.

I think the threats of prison and fines will keep prices half-way reasonable.

On 3/27/2020 at 1:45 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Good luck finding some.

In our area all wiped off the shelves.

You might have read the threads about the "egg crisis".

I'm somewhat mystified in Chiang Rai, because the shelves are almost bare of eggs in Big C, yet across the highway in Tops the shelves are full.

I bought eggs at a local supermarket chain here in CM yesterday evening.  Prices were normal and the supermarket was fairly well stocked with eggs though there were some areas where the shelves were a bit barer than usual, for example Ramen noodles.  I also purchased one of the last boxes of Imperial pancake mix - a Thai brand.

We’ve just got over the toilet roll issue.......start a new series of posts on eggs why don’t you.......if they are any more than Thb 90/30 eggs don’t buy them, walk away !! Plenty of people behind you will buy them. See we’ve got lots of eggsperts on TV again.....sorry couldn’t resist that one. ????

On 3/27/2020 at 3:37 AM, Gonzo the Face said:

How can you tell if they are fresh Ones??   I can't find a date stamp on them.

Place the egg in a bowl of water. If the egg lays on its side at the bottom, it is still quite fresh. If the egg stands upright on the bottom, it is still fine to eat, but should be eaten very soon, or hard-boiled. If the egg floats to the top, it's past its prime, and not good for eating

Eggs are really bad for you - especially the yolks - always have a white omelette or white scrambled eggs .

Sorry only joking - poached eggs are just truly wonderful.

I probably had to say it - why on earth would you worry about the price of eggs - unless you are an eggoholic 

2 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Place the egg in a bowl of water. If the egg lays on its side at the bottom, it is still quite fresh. If the egg stands upright on the bottom, it is still fine to eat, but should be eaten very soon, or hard-boiled. If the egg floats to the top, it's past its prime, and not good for eating

But you could use it for fishing.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, peterb17 said:

Eggs are really bad for you - especially the yolks - always have a white omelette or white scrambled eggs .

Sorry only joking - poached eggs are just truly wonderful.

I probably had to say it - why on earth would you worry about the price of eggs - unless you are an eggoholic 

Or an eggnogic.