Egg Prices Up or Down

Gonzo the Face

On 3/27/2020 at 9:35 AM, Denim said:

Whatever the price , if you want them you will have to shell out......if you can find any fresh ones.

MaxValu near my condo in Bangkok has them, I don't know what they normally cost because I don't really look at the price when I buy cheap stuff.   

They do have a per customer limit of 2 packs (20 eggs).

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

Or an eggnogic.

I think you mean egnostic.

A non believer in eggs.

Wife got 10 today for 35 baht at our local corner shop. Fresh in just before she got there. Still none in our Big C or Tesco but due in.

On 3/27/2020 at 9:42 AM, Denim said:

On cartons bought from Big C or Tesco the date of manufacture is printed on the label. Sometimes they push the fresher eggs to the back and leave the older ones showing at the front. I generally find the eggs in a big carton of 30 a little fresher and smaller than in the 10 baht carton.

I try to avoid buying eggs from a market for this reason because you can't always tell how fresh they are. Also , in the hot season eggs exposed to the heat tend to go off quicker. You will notice when you try to fry the egg because it runs all over the pan and bubbles up. In this case only good for omelettes or scrambled egg.

I always buy the stuff that's behind the others.

An alternative are bird's eggs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, peterb17 said:

Eggs are really bad for you - especially the yolks - always have a white omelette or white scrambled eggs .

Sorry only joking - poached eggs are just truly wonderful.

I probably had to say it - why on earth would you worry about the price of eggs - unless you are an eggoholic 

I'm an "eggoholic" and probably eat more than 99% of the population. I freaked out when I heard the news that they may be hard to find. It brought back memories of the floods of October 2011 when eggs were nearly impossible to find.

I managed to buy some organic eggs from Foodland as all the cheaper brands were gone. They were about the normal price for this particular brand, which was 89 baht for 10.

1 hour ago, Denim said:

I think you mean egnostic.

A non believer in eggs.

Wife got 10 today for 35 baht at our local corner shop. Fresh in just before she got there. Still none in our Big C or Tesco but due in.

Please enjoy your omlettes.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

I'm an "eggoholic" and probably eat more than 99% of the population. I freaked out when I heard the news that they may be hard to find. It brought back memories of the floods of October 2011 when eggs were nearly impossible to find.

I managed to buy some organic eggs from Foodland as all the cheaper brands were gone. They were about the normal price for this particular brand, which was 89 baht for 10.

Please enjoy your orglettes.

Yes my girl said prices were up a bit(Im stuck in Oz at the moment), I said to up ours to 5 baht as we only have a small flock and ours are fresh and this then just about covers the feed cost, although they are mostly farm feed on corn and sunflowers. And if they wont pay it this time fine its what they are worth and the family will eat the extras.

Also in the hot weather it seems they go off the lay a bit.

On 3/27/2020 at 9:42 AM, Denim said:

I try to avoid buying eggs from a market for this reason because you can't always tell how fresh they are. Also , in the hot season eggs exposed to the heat tend to go off quicker. You will notice when you try to fry the egg because it runs all over the pan and bubbles up. In this case only good for omelettes or scrambled egg.

Eggs that run all over the pan are more to do with the health of the chicken than storage. We have chickens and new laid eggs are like that, I don't eat them.

Eggs can keep for about 5 weeks so what is a fresh egg, if not handled properly after about a week there can be a half formed chick in there. Here in Thailand nearly all the eggs are fertile so you should only see a small dark spot in the egg. Really fresh eggs are difficult to shell when boiled, but not an easy check in the shop.

We get ours from a shop that only sells eggs and prices still the same, about 90 baht for a tray of No 1's.

On 3/29/2020 at 3:20 PM, sandyf said:

if not handled properly after about a week there can be a half formed chick in there. Here in Thailand nearly all the eggs are fertile

That's complete nonsense unless the bird had mated with a rooster and commercial egg farms have no reason to allow that as the hens lay eggs regardless. Why would commercial egg farms, which is where most of our eggs come from, want to supply fertilised eggs with partly developed chicks inside for consumption?

"Eggs that run all over the pan are more to do with the health of the chicken than storage".

Generally, that's incorrect also; the most common cause of watery whites is just the age of the egg.  Eggs stored in high temperatures will have the ageing process speeded up and cause whites to become watery.

Edited by Just Weird

13 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"Eggs that run all over the pan are more to do with the health of the chicken than storage".

Generally, that's incorrect also; the most common cause of watery whites is just the age of the egg.  Eggs stored in high temperatures will have the ageing process speeded up and cause whites to become watery.

In a previous life I lived next door to a chicken farm and kept chickens myself. It was the farmer that told me about the a watery white and how to cure it, as far as I remember it was all about diet, believe it or not his advice worked. It may also be a result of old age but it cannot be assumed.

I buy my eggs from a shop that only sells eggs and they all appear to have been fertilised. I do not dispute what you say, not entirely sure how much are farmed on a "free range" basis and on reflection was probably wrong to say most.

14 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Eggs in Big C four hours ago were at the normal price.

Last night my wife brought back a tray of medium from Tesco that were 99 baht. We do not normally buy from the supermarket so not sure if that is up or not.

End of last week I was 84 for tray of No 1's at normal supplier.