UK Visa Application Centres Closed

UK Visa Application Centres in Thailand have closed to new applications and the processing of current applications will be delayed.

They hope to contact customers who already have appointments booked, though they state they will not be able to reschedule appointments until the Centre is re-opened.

Passports can still be collected at all main centres.

https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/th/en/news/important-information-regarding-thailand-visa-application-centres

This is understandable regarding the visas, as there is virtually no travel allowed anyway.

However, it does raise the question about passport renewal, especially if this situation drags on as expected and the Thai government end up placing a lock down on most peoples movements.

How would people renew their passport, especially if they have left it to the last minute to do so, there could come a situation where their passport is about to expire and there isn't a way of renewing it, meaning they are here in Thailand with an expired passport and therefore permission to stay.

One option in that case would be for the UK to allow an extension of validity to the passport.

11 minutes ago, Mattd said:

One option in that case would be for the UK to allow an extension of validity to the passport.

Other governments would have to agree to that, and some don't, especially some host countries, and it would require some sort of physical stamp/notation in the passport.

3 hours ago, Mattd said:

However, it does raise the question about passport renewal, especially if this situation drags on as expected and the Thai government end up placing a lock down on most peoples movements.

How would people renew their passport, especially if they have left it to the last minute to do so, there could come a situation where their passport is about to expire and there isn't a way of renewing it, meaning they are here in Thailand with an expired passport and therefore permission to stay.

A particular consideration in all this, of course, is that, if a wholesale ban were placed on inter-provincial travel, those who live away from Bangkok (or Chiang Mai) would, in practice, find it impossible to make the necessary trips in order to submit their passport renewal applications and, subsequently, to collect their replacement passports unless they were prepared to run the risk of being arrested (and possibly banged up).

And we should, of course, not forget that those forced into making these trips could, in any event, find themselves at considerable risk of contracting COVID-19 as a direct result of following the existing procedures – particularly if they were to find themselves cooped up cheek-by-jowl with others in the solitary lift operating from the lobby to the 28th Floor in With-It Tower where the VFS passport renewal office has (apparently with HMPO’s blessing) has now been relocated from the 8th Floor for the duration of the coronavirus pandemic for some absurd reason.

One immediate action which HMPO could IMHO take in order to alleviate the plight of those who need to renew their passports from Thailand at the present time would be to permit them, at least temporarily, to do this via their online system. Unfortunately, when I raised this possibility with HMPO a couple of days ago, I was informed in no uncertain terms that no changes to existing procedures were being considered. We therefore have seriously to wonder, I think, whether HMPO are, in effect, more than happy for those in imminent need of renewing their passports from Thailand at the present time to run the risk of being offered up as sacrificial lambs on some high altar of Passport Security – which, presumably, must, in their view, always be paramount regardless of any practical negative consequences for those seeking their services.

3 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Other governments would have to agree to that, and some don't, especially some host countries, and it would require some sort of physical stamp/notation in the passport.

And that would, of course, pose a particular problem in the case of mainland Europe, thanks to the EUSSR Politburo's pointless diktat that passports used to enter the Schengen Area must be no older than 10 years (which, I understand, is the main reason why we Brits are no longer given automatic extensions covering unexpired periods on passports being renewed up to a maximum of 9 months).

People might begin to understand soon that the UK Foreign Office is not there for, nor have any intention of, being there for the facilitation of British Citizens. They are there to defect any problem you might cause to the host nation in order to ensure no one gets upset and causes trade disruption. It's all about money and keeping the peace and <deleted> all to do with helping you.

If you are banged up or there is enough media attention then bums get off seats to show a face to promulgate the idea that they actually gave a purpose to the average citizen.

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

It seems negligent of VfS not to make specific reference to passport applications.

It says it remains open for passport collection, just no longer accepting new applications. Hopefully it will only be closed for a matter of weeks, so shouldn't affect too many people as most leave plenty of time to renew a passport, and no one is travelling anywhere.

A planeload arrived at Heathrow from Bangkok last night ,,,,,,no checks just stamped as quick as possible & all went their seperate ways,,,,, no hope now. BORIS, you are letting your people down

or was the on air G20 last night a decision just to let the infected die

The crew s,,t scared as a lot of coughing on the plane, 2 hostesses have stated    "no more work

for me"

Just to mention that the notice @theoldgit linked to mentions Visa Application Centres. I was at the UK VFS Passport Application Centre this afternoon at the Trendy Building on Sukhumvit Soi 13.

The UK Passport Application Centre was open, and I submitted my application with no problem at all. The entire centre was almost empty, with virtually no applicants at all.

25 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

What else would you expect from them as they are well below par in the customer service dept in my experience. 

Despite what you say being true, I would have expected better........................... my bad.

52 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Just to mention that the notice @theoldgit linked to mentions Visa Application Centres. I was at the UK VFS Passport Application Centre this afternoon at the Trendy Building on Sukhumvit Soi 13.

The UK Passport Application Centre was open, and I submitted my application with no problem at all. The entire centre was almost empty, with virtually no applicants at all.

Maybe you were there on their last day and they're closed from now?

2 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Maybe, but they did tell me it would be about 3 weeks before I could go back and collect the passport.

Yeah, the notice says they will stay open for passport collections.  But it seems new applications are no longer being accepted.

17 hours ago, Andycoops said:

What else would you expect from them as they are well below par in the customer service dept in my experience. 

Taking a lead from their HMPO "masters" in that regard, then, I think.

Still no info on the GOV.UK (beyond a mere brief general statement stating that renewal applications are taking longer to process because of the COVID-19 pandemic) specifically confirming the closure of VFS's Bangkok Passport Renewal Office to new applications for the time being, and advice on what Brits needing to renew their passports from Thailand should do in the meantime (especially if they are non-immigrants requiring new passports which are valid for the full period of upcoming annual extension of stay applications).

And is VFS's Chiang Mai Passport Renewal Office also closed to new applications?

HMG collectively is usually pretty good at promptly keeping the GOV.UK website up-to-date in my experience. Sadly, though, HMPO seem to be the 1 (pathetic) exception to this general rule 

On 3/27/2020 at 1:41 PM, anterian said:

My passport expires in November, if things are not back to normal by then I guess I will have to fly under the radar and hope my neighbours don't grass on me.

You have every right to be concerned. The coronavirus pandemic isn't going away any time soon - meaning that the UK passport renewal service from Thailand will, in all probability, be suspended for many, many months, if not years. In this situation, your only option next November will be to apply for an emergency travel document:-

https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document

On 3/27/2020 at 4:30 PM, Darkside Gray said:

Not much point in opening with all these travel restrictions in place around the world!

Valid passports (and, increasingly, emergency travel documents) will still be needed in order to apply for extensions of stay at Immigration, as well as for ID confirmation purposes at banks, post offices, etc.

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

You have every right to be concerned. The coronavirus pandemic isn't going away any time soon - meaning that the UK passport renewal service from Thailand will, in all probability, be suspended for many, many months, if not years.

Give over with the scaremongering, months yes, years certainly not.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Give over with the scaremongering, months yes, years certainly not.

It could be argued that opinions are just that, we all have them, scaremongering is totally different and the poster to whom you replied did clarify that what he said was a probability not a fact, the truth is none of us know.

Lets just keep to the facts now please, that the UK Visa Application Centres around the world are clused, as are those of a number of other countries.

2 hours ago, theoldgit said:

It could be argued that opinions are just that, we all have them, scaremongering is totally different and the poster to whom you replied did clarify that what he said was a probability not a fact, the truth is none of us know.

Lets just keep to the facts now please, that the UK Visa Application Centres around the world are clused, as are those of a number of other countries.

You might be interested in seeing the outcome of my exchanges with HMPO yesterday (edited version below). Not sure why they included the otherwise completely irrelevant references to Emergency Travel Documents in their reply if they didn't mean these to be the only alternative to replacement passports for the time being in our case!

Sent: 1585374327
Subject: HMPO Passport enquiries
Timestamp= 28/03/2020 5:45:22

I understand that the VFS offices in Bangkok and Chiang Mai are now closed to new applications. In these circumstances, what alternative arrangements have been put in place for British nationals in Thailand to apply for - and, in due course, receive - replacement passports for the duration of the coronavirus pandemic?

Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 at 19:05
Dear OJAS, 

Thank you for your email about applying for a new British passport.  

Emergency Travel Documents are only issued when you are abroad and you are unable to get a new or replacement passport in time for your planned travel. You should always try first to renew or replace your passport if it has expired or been damaged prior to your travel dates.

For further information on Emergency Travel Documents please visit https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document. 
In the current situation, we can only recommend to apply for a new British passport once the Visa Application Centres have re-opened. 

Regards,

Customer Service Email Team

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Sent: 1585374327
Timestamp= 28/03/2020 5:45:22

I understand that the VFS offices in Bangkok and Chiang Mai are now closed to new applications. In these circumstances, what alternative arrangements have been put in place for British nationals in Thailand to apply for - and, in due course, receive - replacement passports for the duration of the coronavirus pandemic?

Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 at 19:05
Dear OJAS, 

Thank you for your email about applying for a new British passport.  

Emergency Travel Documents are only issued when you are abroad and you are unable to get a new or replacement passport in time for your planned travel. You should always try first to renew or replace your passport if it has expired or been damaged prior to your travel dates.

For further information on Emergency Travel Documents please visit https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document. 
In the current situation, we can only recommend to apply for a new British passport once the Visa Application Centres have re-opened. 

Regards,

Customer Service Email Team

I do not need to renew my passport for several months yet but just for interest I tried to apply for an ETD. The system is obviously only set up if you are wanting  to travel   somewhere. You cannot proceed without that. You are then instructed to contact your nearest Consulate for advice. If there is an inter province travel restriction the application to them would have to be online.  If that were to be the case then why not get a real passport online with the UK system. If it goes on for a long time some people will be close to there extension renewals and they will get a  shorter extension to expiry date. .

4 hours ago, theoldgit said:

It is a fact that to suggest the probability is scaremongering.

Yes none of us know, for sure, but the great plague of 1665 was over within a year, although I do accept that the UK has a dismal track record in learning from history.

I received the following in an email from VFS this morning:

"The worldwide response to COVID-19 continues to affect the UK’s Visa and Immigration Service. Our Visa Application Centre and HMPO passport office in Thailand and Laos are closed from, March, 30th until further notice.

We are unable to process the passport application and we will reschedule your appointment after we resume to work. The processing of current applications will be delayed. For information regarding the status of your outstanding application, please contact directly to passport advice line via https://www.gov.uk/passport-advice-line

For a new passport collection, If your new passport still pending with us, please kindly come to collect the passport by  this Tuesday 31st March 2020 from 08:30-15:30 hours. Otherwise you will be able to come to collect your passport again after we resume to work."

As you can see, the Passport Application Centre is closed. If your passport has arrived back in Thailand you need to collect it by tomorrow. If you can't do that or your passport is in process then the current situation is that you will have to wait until VFS opens again.

With the current travel restrictions in force it is probably a mute point but VFS Australia office in the same Trendy building as the UK office is open for business albeit with reduced days. Go figure. Maybe if you are waiting for your passport ask them to put it in there office. ????

27 minutes ago, Morakot said:

I can confirm passport renewal is currently not possible.

This is the message I received today.

Screenshot_2020-04-07_12-02-27.png

So they sent you an email on 7 April advising that if you have a passort due for collection you should collect it by 31 March?

Archived