What will happen to my visa if my employer cancels my work permit during the Covid 19?

I'm about to lose my job and my employer may cancel my work permit. I'm really in need of help.

1. Can I still keep my visa when my employer cancels my work permit?
2. Is the office that issues work permit still opened? I wonder if I can even apply a new work permit even if I can find a new job.
3. If both of the above fails and I stay here for 3 months without a valid visa, can I still apply a new work permit with a new employer without going out of Thailand? So, I think this would be like applying a new work permit with overstay?

1. It depend upon if you actually have a multiple entry non-b visa or a extension of stay based upon working issued by immigration. A non-b visa would remain valid. A extension ends on the day you stop working.

2. Work permit offices are still open. But your situation depends upon number 1.

3. If you stay after your job ends and your extension is canceled you would be on a overstay.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

1. It depend upon if you actually have a multiple entry non-b visa or a extension of stay based upon working issued by immigration. A non-b visa would remain valid. A extension ends on the day you stop working.

2. Work permit offices are still open. But your situation depends upon number 1.

3. If you stay after your job ends and your extension is canceled you would be on a overstay.

Expanding on clause #3 in Obonjoe's reply above, I believe the current rule is that you have 24 hours to leave the country after the work permit is cancelled which can be extended by 7 days for THB1,900 at your nearest friendly immigration office.

However, I am not sure how immigration can implement the above rule at this current time, since many foreigners are unable to travel out of the Kongdom for a variety of reasons.

More likely, immigration will grant a 30 day extention either automatically or on production of a letter requesting a 30 day extention from your Embassy.

We are in un-charted territory as far as immigration visa rules ae concerned - Thankfully, the immigration office appreciates that foreigners are unable to comply with regulations for Force-Majeure reasons outside their control and are handling the situation in a reasonable manner. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MeeLay said:

1. Can I still keep my visa when my employer cancels my work permit?
2. Is the office that issues work permit still opened? I wonder if I can even apply a new work permit even if I can find a new job.
3. If both of the above fails and I stay here for 3 months without a valid visa, can I still apply a new work permit with a new employer without going out of Thailand? So, I think this would be like applying a new work permit with overstay?

1 and 2 as ubonjoe said.

On 3: the only way afaik getting around leaving Thailand is to a) switch to retirement status, provided you're 50 or older and have at least 800k THB sitting in he bank for the last 3 months (I did this switch myself 3 months ago) 

or b) find a new employer and coordinate the cancellation of the old WP with issuance of the new one (very difficult in the current situation, I know, but thought it should be mentioned e.g. in case you have a friend running a company that could take you on and just pay the gov fees)