Panic buyers throng Pattaya supermarkets

Rimmer

Panic buyers throng Pattaya supermarkets

1376-N2-Mar-24-03-Pty-sees-hoarding-1.jp

Instant noodles, canned fish and eggs sold out at Big C, Tesco-Lotus, Topps and other supermarkets. The meat counter also was picked clean.

PATTAYA:--Even as the government repeatedly states that supermarkets and food shops will remain open throughout the coronavirus pandemic, Pattaya residents continue to panic buy and hoard noodles, eggs and meat.

As word of the government’s coming emergency decree leaked out March 24, crowds overran Pattaya supermarkets, fearful of rumored curfews and closures. When the decree took effect today at 12:01 a.m., however, it contained neither.

Instant noodles, canned fish and eggs sold out at Big C, Tesco-Lotus, Topps and other supermarkets. The meat counter also was picked clean. Panic buyers seemed less worried about soap, toothpaste, booze and medicine, all of which remained in stock.

Outdoor markets, however, seemed unaffected by the run on food staples. The Rattanakorn and Thepprasit still had plenty of food and a well-known egg dealer on Soi Khopai still had stock.

Read more: https://www.pattayamail.com/news/panic-buyers-throng-pattaya-supermarkets-292959

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2020-03-27—

I went to stock up yesterday (Mar 26) on a few items at Makro around 8pm.  There was no panic.  Plenty of meat and eggs available but instant noodles were gone. 
Orange juice price was 25% higher than before.
No more or fewer people than normal.   
One thing I found interesting is that all the non-food/soap items had been roped off and a sign saying the government told them they can't sell that stuff.  Stuff like freezers, blenders, pots and pans, etc.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, action said:

I went to stock up yesterday (Mar 26) on a few items at Makro around 8pm.  There was no panic.  Plenty of meat and eggs available but instant noodles were gone. 
One thing I found interesting is that all the non-food/soap items had been roped off and a sign saying the government told them they can't sell that stuff.  Stuff like freezers, blenders, pots and pans, etc.  

I personnally avoid that "orange juice", full of sugar, made from concentrate. But a small glass at breakfast is ok if it makes you feel good. But only fresh juice contains vitamin c. Only water hydrates the body well. Sodas give a sensation of quenching thirst but they don't help hydrate the body well aside from the toxic excess of sugar and various chemicals. Not very helping for the immune system especially at times when it may have to be strong to fight the corana virus. Making stocks of drinking water is important, a friend from Chiang Mai told me he found it hard to find bottled water 3 days ago. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, action said:

Day before yesterday, afternoon, no panic as well. But I'd say more people than usual were shopping at that time, maybe 30% more. Everything available but eggs. I found that surprising but not after finding them also out at a couple other stores.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

I think it isn't so much panic buying but greed.  Many Thais that sell food at markets are buying in bulk then selling it at the markets for double the price. In the last few days pork has gone up double same with eggs we went to Makro today prices were normal but eggs were restricted to one sheet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

My wife buys meat at Makro, Tesco and the market. When it reaches our kitchen it is thoroughly washed and either put in the deep freeze or cooked thoroughly.  In 20 years in Thailand eating local food, I have never had a stomach upset except when eating at a seafood restaurant years ago in Phuket. Good kitchen hygiene is far more important than whether the chicken is open. Far better than using plastic and styrofoam trays to sell it. 

Clean food Good Taste one of Thaksin's many initiatives. 

• Like 1

I think it is terribly unhealthy the way meat is cut up amd sold in Thailand.   If you dont agree then your uneducated on food safety.  Flies all over the market  meats.   Open unrefrigerated trays or bins of meat at the big stores.   Luckily it is very fresh.  The food hygiene should be improved.  As well as testing of holding temperatures of street vendor food.  I do eat it.  Luckily my gf is very picky about where she chooses to eat.   Why would someone argue that its bashing  when we see the obvious 3rd world butcher shops here.  Up at Doi Suthep  there was even a mobile  motorcycle pork butcher.  He had one of those super sanitary tree ring butcher blocks strapped on the rear  seat.  Saddle bags with pig quarters and bags of meat.    The things I noticed  were  no gloves.  After weighing the cuts for roadside vendor customers  he took the scale off the ground and set it on top of bare pig quarters In One of his saddle bags. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

My wife buys meat at Makro, Tesco and the market. When it reaches our kitchen it is thoroughly washed and either put in the deep freeze or cooked thoroughly.  In 20 years in Thailand eating local food, I have never had a stomach upset except when eating at a seafood restaurant years ago in Phuket. Good kitchen hygiene is far more important than whether the chicken is open. Far better than using plastic and styrofoam trays to sell it. 

if your vegetables are cooked thoroughly, the result surely can't be called Thai food.

7 hours ago, Don Mega said:

I panic purchased yesterday.

Normally I buy me booze as its consumed but felt it wise to buy for the month coming instead.

In the UK I'm stockpiling booze mostly spirits and wine. As the pound may get hammered, taxes may go up and supply chains get disrupted. Tis a one way bet at the moment with 'fiat' . In my local Tesco today the booze aisles were 70% empty. 

Edited by URMySunshine