Panic buyers throng Pattaya supermarkets

Rimmer

8 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

Thankfully my very nearby  villa and foodland remain well stocked and folks in the area dont seem prone to hoarding.

That is to say im pleased I dont live in pattaya.

We're pleased you dont live here too! ????

• Haha 1

Open meat has disappeared from the display in Tops Khao Noi, only to re-appear on the same display packed and wrapped in clingfilm. Seems the sensible thing to do. Packet noodles was the only display empty.

It is irresponsible reporting like this that has caused the panic buying in other countries. 

Edited by Oink

Depends which supermarket. At 1pm today the supermarket at Central Festival had long queues. Villa Market on 2nd Road had few customers.

I did my 1st ever home delivery shopping at Central today. Water, toilet paper and such bulky items. Geneva prices! Hope they deliver, pun intended.

We were just coming home on Sukhumvit here in Pattaya and popped into villa in little walk ,very rarely go there,i was surprised how empty the shelves were  of most things actually ,however the little pharmacy at the entrance did have face masks and sanitizer 

35 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

We were just coming home on Sukhumvit here in Pattaya and popped into villa in little walk ,very rarely go there,i was surprised how empty the shelves were  of most things actually ,however the little pharmacy at the entrance did have face masks and sanitizer 

You are better off than us in the UK, can not buy face masks and sanitises, had to buy face mask off Ebay and I make my own sanitiser.

As for going to the supermarket, yesterday had to queue for half an hour to get in then queue half an hour at the checkouts to pay, and distancing myself from other people by 2 meters at all times.

On 3/26/2020 at 11:49 PM, ivor bigun said:

I never buy the meat left out like that at the best of times ,now with people sneezing and coughing on it ,yuk.

yeah, me neither.   The workers touch and move stuff around like they were stacking cord wood, and that is just what we see,  Who knows how it is handled in the back of the store.  And the smell as you walk through the section is a hint that things are not right

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Basil B said:

You are better off than us in the UK, can not buy face masks and sanitises, had to buy face mask off Ebay and I make my own sanitiser.

As for going to the supermarket, yesterday had to queue for half an hour to get in then queue half an hour at the checkouts to pay, and distancing myself from other people by 2 meters at all times.

Actually as we had purchased stuff,the cashier asked if we wanted face masks we had a pack each of govt ones 10 baht for four . there was lots of sanitizer for sale ,

6 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

Actually as we had purchased stuff,the cashier asked if we wanted face masks we had a pack each of govt ones 10 baht for four . there was lots of sanitizer for sale ,

The problem in the UK is I can not buy face masks from Screwfix (or any other trade supplier), reason is that last weekend they sold out after a run by doctors and other health professionals (who need them more than us) because our Government can not supply even when they said they were, but even then most of the face masks sold by Screwfix fall short of the required standard but they are better than nothing. 

On 3/27/2020 at 11:54 AM, BigStar said:

I have for many years, no problems at all. Cheap & good.

Be nice if posters would stop repeating those old lies about sneezing and coughing etc. over the meat just 'cause they don't like that style of presentation.

Ever notice how often your tables and computer equipment collect a layer of dust and soot at home? And then there of course are the various flying insects that make their way into a large public space... And then there are the shoppers and/or their kids who like to pick up and check the meat/other products with their bare hands....  And after that, there's the inevitable sneezing, coughing and germ spreading... Bon Appetit!!!'

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Head

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Ever notice how often your tables and computer equipment collect a layer of dust and soot at home? And then there of course are the various flying insects that make their way into a large public space... And then there are the shoppers and/or their kids who like to pick up and check the meat/other products with their bare hands....  And after that, there's the inevitable sneezing, coughing and germ spreading... Bon Appetit!!!'

Anyone who buys meat from those open trays in the current environment should have his head checked.

They are scared to touch a hand rail or basket because the virus may be attached to it and it can stay active for days on hard surfaces.

People don't have to sneeze or cough right over the meat, a few meters away is enough. Do people have to sneeze right into your face to get you infected?

So why would it not be possible for the virus to be on those raw meats, and why wouldn't it stay active for at least the same time as on a hard surface?

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Ever notice how often your tables and computer equipment collect a layer of dust and soot at home?

We really could use fewer schoolmarms around here. Yes, I know that's a futile wish.

16 minutes ago, Susco said:

So why would it not be possible for the virus to be on those raw meats, and why wouldn't it stay active for at least the same time as on a hard surface?

Finally! The "I only get my virus from hard surfaces" brigade has appeared to shame us all.  Personally, I like mine cooked. ????

Edited by BigStar
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, BigStar said:
22 minutes ago, Susco said:

Finally! The "I only get my virus from hard surfaces" brigade has appeared to shame us all.  Personally, I like mine cooked.

Sure you like it cooked, and I'm also sure that at home you handle all your foods with gloves on BEFORE it is cooked

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Susco said:

Sure you like it cooked, and I'm also sure that at home you handle all your foods with gloves on BEFORE it is cooked

yes but we dont have dozens of people standing around touching it and sneezing over it for hours in the kitchen

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:
2 hours ago, Susco said:

yes but we dont have dozens of people standing around touching it and sneezing over it for hours in the kitchen

Would also no need for that, because they have already been quite a few more than a dozen over it in the supermarket

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Susco said:

Unnecessary, and it’s very likely I’m healthier than you are. But I’ll consider doing so after you present the jpegs showing how you wear gloves, facemask, and shield into the supermarket, wear them while disinfecting all your packages and cans, washing all your foods, esp. the fresh fruits and veggies if any—I advise canned only. You may take them off after the disinfection and all the food is cooked.

14 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

Just another attempt to spread FUD. You haven’t been in the kitchen, and even if you ever were there, you couldn’t see much anyway, given you can’t even see Koh Larn out in the bay.

But do consider that the dozens of people touched, coughed, and sneezed over all your plastic wrapped foods before and after the wrapping. Not to mention the fruits and veggies. ???? But there's more, petal: before they put the whatever into the package for which you’re happy to pay 3 times the cost, they used their bum guns, so spraying feces all over their hands! Of course they didn’t wash them afterwards. OH NO.

I think we all get (twice) you have a problem with the Asian meat bins and wish to use them for various sorts of silly attacks. It's a traditional poster hot button for asserting superior fastidiousness; all been said before. I happen to remember another obsessed doing the same when Carrefour changed to Big C, amid some other lies about that. Forget his name, sh_it-for-brains or somesuch; long gone. Are we done?

Edited by BigStar
  • Sad 2

On 3/27/2020 at 3:15 AM, BigStar said:

No, I don't think you really did, same as with that nonsense about coughing and sneezing, as you don't even buy in that area. I do and in decades have never seen such. Shops normally provide tongs or plastic gloves or plastic bags that people use for selecting their portions, or the vendor uses them. People really don't want to walk around with raw meat & fat all over their hands.

However, it's an Asian custom, snowflake. If you're too delicate, then just say so rather than spout the usual lies. No doubt we'll now have a series of testimonials: picked up off the floor & put back, blah blah.

You are gonna cook it anyway right?

As far as Asian markets and things picked up off the floor:

I was in a Chinese run market in the USA with a Chinese friend, the clerk took a fish from a live fish tank for my friend.  She complained that the fish was dead.  The clerk put the fish on the floor, fish flopped around, proof of life.  My friend was satisfied and accepted the fish.

Definite cultural difference, most lao wei/falang would not accept.

On 3/28/2020 at 6:15 PM, Susco said:

Head

Anyone who buys meat from those open trays in the current environment should have his head checked.

. . .

Anyone who can't at least Google before relating ignorant assumptions on a public forum should have his head checked. Seems you have no idea about the different times the virus survives on various surfaces. Now that's just dangerous, innit?

For example, of many sources of info you could find if you bothered:

While it is glued to a porous surface, it is very inert and disintegrates only between 3 hours (fabric and porous), 4 hours (copper, because it is naturally antiseptic; and wood, because it removes all the moisture and does not let it peel off and disintegrates). ), 24 hours (cardboard), 42 hours (metal) and 72 hours (plastic).

--https://kdtoptometry.com/tips-for-the-corona-virus-pandemic/

Porous surfaces — like money, hair, and fabric — don't allow viruses to survive as long because the small spaces or holes in them can trap the microbe and prevent its transfer, Graham said.

--https://www.businessinsider.com/how-long-can-coronavirus-live-on-surfaces-how-to-disinfect-2020-3

I trust this answers your question and will encourage you to take the greater precautions warranted with your packaged goods.

• Sad 1