BANGKOK
simple1

Australia - overseas returnees enforced isolation

9 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Quarantine now applies if crossing State borders.

I have friends who just drove from Sydney to Darwin. They just made it into QLD before the border closed. They had to sign quarantine forms at the NT border that was manned by both police and army. They encountered 4 checkpoints in NT before arriving in Darwin. They said there were a lot of stores on the way up with signs saying locals only. 

One of their friends also under quarantine in Darwin was visited by the army today checking he was at his place of quarantine.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Saw on the news earlier it will be 24 days isolation. 14 at Port of entry and another 14 if going home in another state.

A lot of people will use all of their annual leave just in quarantine. Not the public service of course. Some companies, just a few I believe, have made special leave provisions to cover this, but there is no obligation to do so.

Edited by emptypockets

Rottnest Island offshore Perth has been evacuated and is going to be used to quarantine people. 

11 hours ago, Mikeinapac said:

As long as they pay for it, not a big deal! 😉

I would go stir crazy after a few days stuck in a hotel room, no matter how luxurious or if it is in a prime inner city area, even if it is fully paid by the Government. I am glad I am doing my 14 days at home with all my little creature comforts; fast internet, big screen computer, not a little laptop stuck with dismal hotel Wi-Fi, home theatre, my music, my tea and coffee gear. My Kitchen. This is not a jail. It is an enforced holiday. A time to freely spend as one wishes. Luckily I live on my own and don't own any rugrats or pets to interrupt my freedomz.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tongjaw said:

Rottnest Island offshore Perth has been evacuated and is going to be used to quarantine people. 

I am starting to think this epidemic might possibly be serious. Time to watch that documentary again... what was it called? Oh yes, "I Am Legend" https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480249

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dexxter said:

I would go stir crazy after a few days stuck in a hotel room, no matter how luxurious or if it is in a prime inner city area, even if it is fully paid by the Government. I am glad I am doing my 14 days at home with all my little creature comforts; fast internet, big screen computer, not a little laptop stuck with dismal hotel Wi-Fi, home theatre, my music, my tea and coffee gear. My Kitchen...

Agree! Back in the 80s the Mrs & I were left stranded in an AU capital city due to an airline employee’s strike. They put us up at the Sheraton hotel (5 star).
We were there for just 7 days. The first 2 or 3 days were fine: exploring the city, beautiful hotel swimming pool, gym, heaps of in-house movies, daily housekeeping, nice (free) meals etc. 

But by the 4th day we’d have enough...and that was with the freedom to GET OUT and about morning, noon and night!

Crikey, we definitely would have become stir crazy if STUCK INSIDE the hotel room for 14 days. [email protected]&# that. 

15 hours ago, deeks said:

Too scared of being called a racist is what caused all this from the start. I reckon in the future that anything that starts up in China like this will have to be dealt with immediate travel bans, lesson learnt. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/china-ground-zero-future-pandemic-180965213/

How many people have died around the world because of what comes out of China, Spanish flew is believed to come from Chinese laborers, SARS, H1N1,just off the top of head.

... and go a bit further back and you'll find measles and smallpox spread by western "civilisations'' in times when health care was zero and mortality rates 90% +.

In the case of the British in Australia, there is evidence that spreading disease among the Aboriginal population was a deliberate policy!

I believe America has a similar sad history in it's treatment of Native Americans ...

... go further back again and have a look at the history of Spanish in South America.

"Spanish flew (sick) is believed to come from Chinese laborers ...'' really? ... one of at least four theories ... we will never know ... but if we are going to cite ''Spanish" flu in context of current pandemic, it may be a great idea to do basis research ... the other possible sources ? ... France, China, Britain and surprise surprise Kansas in the good ol' USA.

Note Spain is not in that list.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Mikeinapac said:

As long as they pay for it, not a big deal! 😉

imo not a big deal even if it's all paid for by government (which i believe it is, sorry to have to burst your bubble!) ...

If it saves 2 or 3 hospitalisations it's cheap at the price and it's also keeping a few hotels open. Think catering/cleaning/concierge and security jobs retained.

Irritating to see the odd guest bitching about late delivery of breakfast but overall i think it's a great idea.

10 hours ago, Tongjaw said:

Lucky bastards. Check out pix of Rotters, it's a great spot. I travelled a lot in Oz but could never afford to get there for any length of time. Happy to house-swap with any of them.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, pdtokyo said:

Nice try you two but adding Likes AFTER i've pointed out that you are NOT adding Likes goes onto a completely seperate spreadsheet which i do by hand (it's a cotton spreadsheet) ... totally unmonitorable ... 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the "sad" and "confused" icons get added into the total score. Or are they subtracted? Perhaps a mod can clarify.

• Like 1

Doctors do a runner from Rydges Sydney Airport! So much for "enforced" isolation.

Hunt for 33 runaway visitors 

A GROUP of doctors who landed at Sydney Airport from Chile fled the hotels where they had been quarantined, with 27 managing to dodge police and board domestic flights.

In an extraordinary breach of quarantine orders, NSW Police Force tonight confirmed they had instructed the Australian Federal Police to issue Public Health Orders to the missing medical professionals at their destinations.

The incident occurred at 11pm on Friday at a hotel believed to be Rydges Sydney Airport, when NSW Health requested police help to process passengers on two flights out of Santiago, including 77 medical professionals who had attended a conference.

When officers returned to serve Public Health Orders telling the doctors to stay in the hotel, 33 were missing. Six were found at the domestic airport and 27 had already flown out.

NSW Police Minister David Elliott expressed fury at the breach. “I’m disappointed to hear medical professionals chose to ignore rules in place to save lives and protect the most vulnerable in our community,” Mr Elliott said.

- Sydney Sunday Telegraph (March 29)

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Yes, I heard that. I also saw that Qld country towns are discouraging visitors. Just after the fires rural areas were pleading with city folk to come visit to help with their recovery. Not much travel for the grey nomads now.

Strange times indeed ... as you say, during and post-the recent bushfires we got rapid-fire mixed messages ''stay away! stay away!" then "come and visit!! come and visit!!" ...

... now the locals are digging out the pitchforks and flaming torches ready to repel city folk ... fair enough i suppose ... many vulnerable people in bush ... diabetics etc over-represented in rural Australia ... many places lack even basic hospital services, running water, small overcrowded multi-generational houses etc etc. Not new problems. Plenty of enquiries/media report/failed government interventions over many many years.

Silver lining of all this ... there's a good chance that many of those ''city folk'' will get a crash course in the realities of life outside the capital cities as their jobs, food, toilet rolls and lifestyle options generally come under threat.

Maybe a second wave pandemic of empathy? Hope so.

As for the grey nomads? (i used to be one) maybe they will survive like Mad Max characters ... black-painted Toyota Coasters with super-charged nitro V8's, wheel spikes, pointy roo bars and a crossbow turret up there where the sunroof used to be ... Mavis crochetting full-face skull masks ... George Miller, get cracking.

Edited by pdtokyo
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Doctors do a runner from Rydges Sydney Airport! So much for "enforced" isolation.

Hunt for 33 runaway visitors 

A GROUP of doctors who landed at Sydney Airport from Chile fled the hotels where they had been quarantined, with 27 managing to dodge police and board domestic flights.

In an extraordinary breach of quarantine orders, NSW Police Force tonight confirmed they had instructed the Australian Federal Police to issue Public Health Orders to the missing medical professionals at their destinations.

The incident occurred at 11pm on Friday at a hotel believed to be Rydges Sydney Airport, when NSW Health requested police help to process passengers on two flights out of Santiago, including 77 medical professionals who had attended a conference.

When officers returned to serve Public Health Orders telling the doctors to stay in the hotel, 33 were missing. Six were found at the domestic airport and 27 had already flown out.

NSW Police Minister David Elliott expressed fury at the breach. “I’m disappointed to hear medical professionals chose to ignore rules in place to save lives and protect the most vulnerable in our community,” Mr Elliott said.

- Sydney Sunday Telegraph (March 29)

Yeah, nice job doc ... good news is that attempts are being made to track the runners and serve them with enforcement orders ... best of luck with that but it may result in a charge and publication of names ...

Edited by pdtokyo

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the "sad" and "confused" icons get added into the total score. Or are they subtracted? Perhaps a mod can clarify.

Good point. Here, take a confused smily from me in thanks. sorry, i'm, like, confused.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

maybe just a rumour but i believe we are all getting triple-value smilies as a TV stimulus measure and we can spend some of those on our own posts. Yummy!

Edited by pdtokyo
apply online
  • Haha 1