Australia - overseas returnees enforced isolation

1 hour ago, Nemises said:

"Police are launching a massive crackdown on criminal groups hoarding essential items from supermarkets and reselling them overseas as the government plans a targeted home delivery program for the elderly.

Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton told 2GB's Ray Hadley organised criminal groups were being investigated for depriving everyday Australians of critical groceries.

"We do have some people profiteering, hoarding not for consumption and either selling overseas or in a black market arrangement in Australia. We are going to come after those people and give them a fair warning now it won't be a pretty experience.

Police were swooping in on the behaviour, targeting areas where hoarding has been reported, Mr Dutton said.

"We will come down like a tonne of bricks on those individuals because I think they're the ones that have created this pattern of behaviour with hoarding and clearing shelves and normally sensible people have been wrapped in this because they've panicked when they've seen the shelves empty," he said.

The government is now urging Australians to do the right thing and not follow the lead of criminals in hoarding items for resale.

"You're making it harder for people who are the most vulnerable, those on a pension, self-funded retirees who may not be buying more than a couple of days groceries because they can't afford it. You need to stop," he said.

Dutton also reassured Australians that we have "more food in this country than we can consume" and urged everyone to only buy what is necessary.

"Please show an example to your neighbour, person shopping beside, be sensible about purchases and we can restore normality," he said.

It was put to Mr Dutton by Hadley that organised groups were sending buses into regional towns and clearing out supermarkets

"It's a busload of Asian Australians I presume with a trailer on the back, just going to these shopping centres and shops... Aldi, Coles and Woollies and clearing the joint out." Hadley said.

"I'm at a loss, do they sell it at local stores or take it elsewhere? Do you know where all the items are going?"

"Yes, I do but investigations are underway so I'm not going into more detail," Mr Dutton replied.

Photos and footage have shown people of all ethnicities hoarding groceries across Sydney.

https://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/shoppers-urged-to-avoid-stockpiling-goods/3972376/

Supermarkets in regional Victorian towns have reportedly been swamped by bus loads of city-dwellers from Melbourne, who are stripping shelves and leaving locals empty-handed.

On Tuesday, there were numerous reports that grocery stores shelves in towns like Gisborne, Kyneton, Romsey, Seymour, Ararat, Woodend, Daylesford, amongst others, have been emptied by people travelling hours on buses from the city.

Ararat local Rhys told Neil Mitchell on 3AW radio that people have been arriving in town on buses.

“We had a supermarket attendant tell my partner yesterday that they had busload of people come in, get all their shopping, get back in the bus and then take off,” he told Neil Mitchell.

“It makes me angry but at the same time we’ve all got to eat.”

Kilmore resident Diane said it was also happening in her regional town.

“It’s happening all around here. It’s in Seymour, Wallan,” she said.

“Someone came into our bakery yesterday and took every loaf of bread!”

One Twitter user said she lives in a small town of 1500 people, 100 kilometres from Melbourne. On Tuesday, four tour buses, carrying around 200 people, arrived.

https://womensagenda.com.au/latest/melbourne-panic-buyers-are-emptying-supermarket-shelves-in-regional-towns/

Gawd ...

... a ream of hearsay and still not one single picture or video from any of these people?

''someone came into ...."

“We had a supermarket attendant tell my partner ..." 

"It's a busload of Asian Australians I presume with a trailer on the back, just going to these shopping centres and shops... Aldi, Coles and Woollies and clearing the joint out." Hadley said.

“It’s happening all around here."

"Yes, I do but investigations are underway so I'm not going into more detail," Mr Dutton replied.

etc

etc

Dog-whistling and hearsay and journalism built around social media posts and from the politician, evasion ... he can listen to hearsay but can't comment because it's ''under investigation" (bet it's not) ... same playbook as "Can't comment on on-water matters" they trotted out when the subject was refugees.

Wake up and look for actual first-hand evidence. Then believe it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forced Isolation should have started weeks and weeks ago........... In every country around the world.

Why 'utterly staggered' ? ... a bit of 'pearl-clutching' here surely? this measure is no big deal ...   Yesterday  - all incoming passengers (of all nationalities) were told to go home and s

where are all the Likes and the Thanks then ??? Don't think i'm not keeping track of that stuff. I've got spreadsheets.

19 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Saw on the news earlier it will be 24 days isolation. 14 at Port of entry and another 14 if going home in another state.

A lot of people will use all of their annual leave just in quarantine. Not the public service of course. Some companies, just a few I believe, have made special leave provisions to cover this, but there is no obligation to do so.

And at the arrival city there is no option of 'self-isolate' at home etc., all passengers are taken to buses (except anybody showing any signs of sickness direct to hospital), all monitored by police and army and taken to city hotels where they must stay in their rooms for 14 days, cannot go to hotel coffee shop, gym, shopping for food etc., all monitored by police and army. No cost to Australian passport holders. Afater the 14 days if they have to travel (fly) again to their home city, taken to airport on a controlled bus and monitored to ensure they do board the next flight.  

14 minutes ago, pdtokyo said:

Gawd ...

... a ream of hearsay and still not one single picture or video from any of these people?

''someone came into ...."

“We had a supermarket attendant tell my partner ..." 

“It’s happening all around here."

etc

etc

Dog-whistling and hearsay and journalism built around social media posts and from the politician, evasion ... he can listen to hearsay but can't comment because it's ''under investigation" (bet it's not) ... same playbook as "Can't comment on on-water matters" they trotted out when the subject was refugees.

Wake up and look for actual first-hand evidence. Then believe it.

... typical <deleted> report.... e.g. ''...assume with a trailer on the back..."

1 hour ago, pdtokyo said:

Gawd ...

You asked to "provide a link to an article OR videos and photos " so I tried to help by posting two (!) article links for you.

You didn't say that the article links had to also show videos and photos of the accused.

Edited by Nemises

Just had an update from my friends under quarantine in NT

Forced quarantine update

From midnight on Wednesday 1 April anyone entering the territory from interstate or overseas will be quarantined in hotels for 14 days.

From midnight on Friday 3 April anyone entering the territory will be quarantined and will have to pay.

This will be enforced by the government.