BANGKOK
doggie1955

Wearing the right mask for COVID-19

I have a variety. The paper surgical masks are a little too suffocating for me while walking around. N95 I'm saving for a serious use (e.g. I have to get on an airplane). Taking a cue from Thais, I'm currently using a cloth mask and these are now widely available. 

My thinking is that paper surgical masks are good if (a) you can find them or (b) you work in a hospital or similar. N95 seems overkill for a walk to 7-11, but if you have plenty of them, fine. The cloth masks seem suitable for our situation although I recognize the shortcomings.

There's no certainty with any of this so the combination of (any) mask, social distancing, wash hands, sanitizers, and DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING IN PUBLIC are my approach.  

I just have to add that what I'm seeing and hearing of tourists here (e.g. Phuket beach parties, Sukhumvit pedestrians) and reports from my own country are shocking. No masks of any kind whatsoever. Wow wow wow.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Geeyore said:

I have a variety. The paper surgical masks are a little too suffocating for me while walking around. N95 I'm saving for a serious use (e.g. I have to get on an airplane). Taking a cue from Thais, I'm currently using a cloth mask and these are now widely available. 

My thinking is that paper surgical masks are good if (a) you can find them or (b) you work in a hospital or similar. N95 seems overkill for a walk to 7-11, but if you have plenty of them, fine. The cloth masks seem suitable for our situation although I recognize the shortcomings.

There's no certainty with any of this so the combination of (any) mask, social distancing, wash hands, sanitizers, and DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING IN PUBLIC are my approach.  

I just have to add that what I'm seeing and hearing of tourists here (e.g. Phuket beach parties, Sukhumvit pedestrians) and reports from my own country are shocking. No masks of any kind whatsoever. Wow wow wow.

I’m back now in the UK. Virtually. No one wearing them when food shopping etc 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

i brought real N95 masks with me from the USA in 2014.

the style I have are very uncomfortable because the mask is a plastic frame very much like a scuba divers mask. The filters are replaceable. 

if you have never worn a scuba mask, the way you know you have a proper seal is when you close your mouth and breathe in through your nose, you get zero air.

so as far as good fit is concerned it should be something like that. of course that test will not work for a N95 mask in a frame. If you look at photos of nurses you will see red marks on the bridge of their noses. That is from the mask fitting super tight.   

25921958-8108215-The_pads_plasters_and_tape_protect_nurse_Kim_Do_yeon_s_face_from-a-74_1584100574775.jpg

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

ET9GeOyXQAIUVwO.jpg

Absolutely f'n correct. We were just talking about that at home.

Communicating with my home country friends and relatives, they are oblivious to the need for masks and in fact question the utility. As their infections spin out to infinity. Unbelievable.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Geeyore said:

social distancing, wash hands, sanitizers, and DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING IN PUBLIC are my approach.  

The protection given in those procedures far outweigh any benefit from a mask.

• Like 1

Quote ""We just came back from Tesco/lotus where everyone has the surgical masks on except for the staff who now have those visors over their faces, even better, to have one of those""

I don't see how these open at the bottom face visors are supposed to protect you.

Can someone explain the rational behind these devices.

Thank in advance.

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

Exactly!  The locals will wear masks, no helmets and ignore the real necessities of keeping yourself safe.  Partly due to the BS our health minister gives out.  Brainwashed into thinking these paper/cloth masks will protect them.

Agree. And basically uninformed, and also ignored by the herd mentality.