Wearing the right mask for COVID-19

doggie1955

12 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Only the N90 or N95 masks offer protection from a virus or bacteria.

Q. What are some limitations of the N95 respirator?

A. Some limitations include: • Some infectious agents may be transmitted through the skin or eyes; therefore, other protective equipment may be necessary.

Some entrepeneur should make a battery powered mask that beeps every time you try to touch your face. Same as the driving aid that stops you from nodding. That's the primary function of the mask outside hospital settings, to keep you from moving the virus from your hand to your mouth, nose and eyes.

• Like 1

My wife demands I wear a mask when we go out - in the car! I refuse, I don't like getting out from the air-con into 37 C stinky air so she gets out as being 38 yrs younger her pretty legs work - mine have arthritic knees. 

So as I don't get out I won't wear a mask. We carry hand sanitiser in the car - and use it often. I'm waiting for a jobsworth cop to pull us over and try for an on-the-spot fine for not wearing a mask in the car as reported on LINE a couple of days ago. The woman paid, I would not have done so. We got enough problems without grafting police trying it on. 

My wife wears a mask outside the car too IF we are likely to meet people but certainly not otherwise. I hate it because I can't understand a word she says as it muffles her voice. This was a shaped fabric mask, lots of layers, with a filter, bought in the UK. Now she has started buying washable fabric ones made, apparently, from remnants of dress material. They are light, don't fit properly, cost 20 baht, and in terms of effectiveness probably almost useless, but everyone is happy to see it worn.

WHO don't put a lot of faith in masks effectiveness and neither do I. They seem to be worn by Thais almost universally, certainly for the 5 years I have been here long pre-dating Covid - 19 and in the Thai psyche are an acceptable part of getting dressed - put on the mask along with underwear in the mornings! But when talking to you they habitually pull them down, and then pull them back up, a habit that guarantees transmission of any infection. Infection control is a term most probably are unacquainted with sadly.

On 3/28/2020 at 11:02 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

They are correct in both statements, it’s you who is misunderstanding.

the virus is transferred from skin to objects if you have symptoms or none. It is sprayed by sneezing and coughing so the masks will reduce the amount. So if you are not coughing or sneezing the mask is of no benefit.

This is now being contradicted by many experts worldwide, for one thing they are now saying that talking may very well disperse tiny droplets and particles, if this is true then an Asymptomatic person could infect others even though they were not coughing or sneezing. They are still learning, so it would pay to err on the side of safety.

Edited by Lee4Life

On 3/29/2020 at 6:00 PM, MiNombreEsFicticious said:

Hospitals already ran out / will soon run out of masks, so it's logical that governments don't want every Joe Schmoe using up valuable resources needed by doctors and nurses, who may be in contact with 10 different infected patients a day, while Joe Schmoe is not treating infected patients. If governments make masks sound like the a sure thing for prevention, hospitals will be out of masks even sooner.

After having time to think about your answer, I respectfully disagree. If everyone wearing masks actually does cut transmission rates by approximately 50% as some experts are now stating, then wouldn't there be less need for masks for medical professionals? In other words...hospitals wouldn't be running out of masks because there wouldn't be as many patients.

12 minutes ago, Lee4Life said:

After having time to think about your answer, I respectfully disagree. If everyone wearing masks actually does cut transmission rates by approximately 50% as some experts are now stating, then wouldn't there be less need for masks for medical professionals? In other words...hospitals wouldn't be running out of masks because there wouldn't be as many patients.

Faulty logic. cutting rate of infection just by 50% will make little difference to the numbers of patients in the hospitals. If the rate goes down then the hospitals will need more masks not fewer. 

lower infection rate = hospitals at maximum capacity for longer = more people living due to being able to get treatment. More masks needed.

Higher infection rate = hospitals not having capacity =  people who could otherwise live die because the hospitals don’t have capacity to treat them.

hospitals not having enough PPE = hospitals not having capacity because of staff shortage =  people who could otherwise live die because the hospitals don’t have capacity to treat them.

On 3/28/2020 at 11:15 AM, Skyking said:

WHO say masks unnecessary unless infected or caring for infected.

CDC said the same, reason they want to have enough to protect Dr's , nurses other health care workers. Now that the supply isincreasing look at latest report.

CDC considering recommending general public wear face coverings in public

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/cdc-considering-recommending-general-public-wear-face-coverings-in-public/ar-BB11W3xA?li=BBnb7Kz

On 3/29/2020 at 3:48 PM, Krataiboy said:

OK. You wear your mask, I'll stick with my Vitamin C. The rest, as they say, is history.

Actually Vit D is a better to boost your immune system but very easy to take both. Reason to wear a mask is to protect you from being infected in the first place.  Having a strong immune system by taking Vit C,D others and exercising eating healthy will help you to maybe have mild symptoms and quick recovery but won't protect you from getting infected like a mask.

When the Son and I flew back to the UK on the 28th, we used P95 masks (which were bought some weeks ago well before the empty shelves), close fitting semi mirrored safety glasses (from H pro more recently) and Nitrile ( the thin type, but not latex). These were worn into the airport until we got to immigration (for the photo).  Mask and glasses back on straight away (finger print scanners not in use), until we reached some quiet seating not far from the gate. 

Mask gloves and glasses back on for boarding (temp partial removal checking passport at the entrance of the gate) and not removed until in our seats and most people on-board the plane.

So protection where lots of different people and surfaces, but not practical in the plane. Just have to hope the perhaps 8 people in close proximity are fine. 

Then we did the same sort of thing at the transit airport, and on arrival in the UK (three sets of gloves each).

Now going no where, in the UK. (The panic buying seems to be calming down now, but home delivery is very difficult to do, still overwhelmed) But masks are now difficult to get, even for the nurses and doctors.

Just before I flew back, I was in Tops market and the staff were being issued lightweight full face visors , whilst working at the tills as well as their surgical masks).  good idea!

p.s. Also taking vitamin C/multi Vitamin in drinks daily

Edited by UKresonant

1 hour ago, Tony125 said:

Actually Vit D is a better to boost your immune system but very easy to take both. Reason to wear a mask is to protect you from being infected in the first place.  Having a strong immune system by taking Vit C,D others and exercising eating healthy will help you to maybe have mild symptoms and quick recovery but won't protect you from getting infected like a mask.

Can we please bury once and for all the dangerous myth that a facemask is proof against catching this highly-contageous virus. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-51881555/coronavirus-do-face-masks-actually-work

Emulate Lady Macbeth, keep your hands squeaky clean and your vitamins - particularly C, which has been shown to inhibit the virus multiplying.

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, Lee4Life said:

This is now being contradicted by many experts worldwide, for one thing they are now saying that talking may very well disperse tiny droplets and particles, if this is true then an Asymptomatic person could infect others even though they were not coughing or sneezing. They are still learning, so it would pay to err on the side of safety.

Heres a video of saliva particles floating about during a conversation:

https://youtu.be/2w9M6K9vSUM?t=886

This discusses some data regarding mask use quite extensively (35m):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoDwXwZXsDI

Main points for me:

- high rates of mask use (even low quality masks) do massively cut the spread of the virus (because the effect of both parties weating masks is multiplicative)

- masks made from many kinds of cloth are apparently about as good as/better than surgical masks

- getting infected while wearing a mask etc is likely to result in a much less serious infection (because the initial 'innoculum' of virus particles is smaller, and the immune system has more time to adapt)

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Can we please bury once and for all the dangerous myth that a facemask is proof against catching this highly-contageous virus. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-51881555/coronavirus-do-face-masks-actually-work

Emulate Lady Macbeth, keep your hands squeaky clean and your vitamins - particularly C, which has been shown to inhibit the virus multiplying.

Please stop giving dangerous advise. Masks are obviously not proof against getting infected and noone claims that but they very obviously can help. Even your linked video says so. So please don't advise against them. Advise for the correct usage of masks instead.

Again, it's a combination of counter-measures that must be taken which each increase our chances of not getting infected or lowering its effects.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Please stop giving dangerous advise. Masks are obviously not proof against getting infected and noone claims that but they very obviously can help. Even your linked video says so. So please don't advise against them. Advise for the correct usage of masks instead.

Again, it's a combination of counter-measures that must be taken which each increase our chances of not getting infected or lowering its effects.

We'd best agree to disagree on masks. My assessment is that the danger in being deceived that you are protected by a mask outweights any practical benefit. People can watch the video and make up their own mind. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

We'd best agree to disagree on masks. My assessment is that the danger in being deceived that you are protected by a mask outweights any practical benefit. People can watch the video and make up their own mind. 

I totally agree but those of us still in Thailand and not looking for an evacuation flight have to also weigh in the fact that Thais, leaders and the public, have obviously bought into the mask crutch, and they seem to be especially hostile to unmasked foreigners. Places I need to shop now are now requiring it so it's out of the element of free will choice for many of us anyway.

16 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Sorry can't just agree to disagree. But what I actually agree with you on is that people using masks wrongly or assuming that masks alone protect them is a very real danger and would outweigh the benefit that the mask offers.

But what needs to be done is educate the population on the exact effects of masks in addition to how and when to use them. Plus what other (arguably more important) things like hand hygiene need to be kept in mind.

The point stands: masks can help in the right circumstances. They by themselves are not sufficient. We do have a severe mask shortage (see recent news of ~2M masks being produced daily) so it is also important to not waste them by usage when not needed.

2 hours ago, orchis said:

these are getting popular

91279882_2985429544810918_3111971730306891776_n.jpg

Those are good as long as you don't lift them and pick your nose or teeth. Better than masks as they can be cleaned. Haven't seen any for sale, where did they get them from?

59 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Those are good as long as you don't lift them and pick your nose or teeth. Better than masks as they can be cleaned. Haven't seen any for sale, where did they get them from?

Google face shield , have seen them online for $3---$8.  My wife got  materials and made 100 to give away to nearby hospital.

Edited by Tony125
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Google face shield , have seen them online for $3---$8.  My wife got  materials and made 100 to give away to nearby hospital.

Got a few from Lazada for 45 baht each. Cheap as chips and I'll be able to use them later for dusty and dirty DIY projects.

Thanks to orchis for the tip, these are more comfy than masks, one can wear both of course.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

I'm pretty sure with a good tailwind they can go 100 feet+. The question is what kind of concentrations are we looking at then. While a single virus can replicate, the odds of infection go up the more there is. I would not be too worried about 0.001% of the droplets reaching maximum distance if most of them drop down within a feet.

This is the best option for travelling. 100% cover of face, and with a decent philter on the top of the snorkel, there is no way you will be infected. 

Easy to clean as well, but can be very hot to walk outside with. You can also easy make a hole for a straw you can drink trough, and covered up with a small rubber plug. 

Cant wait to see people start wearing such masks in near future. Actually surprised no one did yet. 

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.bzxAv

D3355DB9-ED80-4EE9-924E-8236B5382891.jpeg

1 hour ago, Tagged said:

This is the best option for travelling. 100% cover of face, and with a decent philter on the top of the snorkel, there is no way you will be infected. 

Easy to clean as well, but can be very hot to walk outside with. You can also easy make a hole for a straw you can drink trough, and covered up with a small rubber plug. 

Cant wait to see people start wearing such masks in near future. Actually surprised no one did yet. 

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.bzxAv

D3355DB9-ED80-4EE9-924E-8236B5382891.jpeg

they are used in intensive care

c1_3581935.jpg

• Thanks 1