Your Little Loved Ones

Gonzo the Face

There have been a couple of unconfirmed reports of pets catching it from their owners (not in Thailand).

I've seen absolutely nothing about pets giving it to their human.

I would consider it a very small risk, but our babies never leave our compound anyway.

• Like 1

The two cases of dogs testing positive in Hong Kong were confirmed.

The presumption was that, in each case, the dog caught it from his owner. There is not yet any proof that the infection can jump in the other direction, from dog to human.

• Like 2

I’ve been watching this also.

I have two beloved kitties, and I continue to let them out.  One kitty is the town gadabout: he schmoozes everywhere, but he only lets one other person actually touch him.  The other fella is a bit more skittish, and runs away from anyone but me.

I’m less concerned about the cats actually getting covid-19; rather, I wonder if they can bring it in on their little kitty-coats.

For now, I’m not sweating it.  If I get more concerned, I can always keep them in (and deal with their pent-up feline aggressions), or wipe down their kitty-coats with a sani-wipe.

For now, I’m not doing this...and it ever comes down to having to let our animal companions go...well, then (speaking only for myself), it’s time to die!

But it’s not going to come to that.  Our babies are pretty safe-and safe to us-right now.  It’s our fellow humans we have to wave and smile to from a distance.

From the US Center for Disease Control

If You Have Animals

Key Points
  • Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses. Some cause illness in people and others cause illness in certain types of animals.
  • Coronaviruses that infect animals can become able to infect people, but this is rare.
  • We do not know the exact source of the current outbreak of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
  • We do not have evidence that companion animals, including pets, can spread COVID-19.
  • We do not have evidence to suggest that imported animals or animal products imported pose a risk for spreading the 2019 novel coronavirus in the United States.

Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses. Some coronaviruses cause cold-like illnesses in people, while others cause illness in certain types of animals, such as cattle, camels, and bats. Some coronaviruses, such as canine and feline coronaviruses, only infect animals and do not infect humans.

More information is found here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/animals.html

like many around, we are at home - keeping busy in the garden, to stop going crazy 

for ages we've had the smelly poopoo from the neighours cat - who prefers our garden... 

anyway we never accomplained to have max the cat kept under control, as the theory is there that any poo is good poo for a garden 

current times... 

well Max is still at it

- and the Neighbour - at least one of them, is coughing like an old Bull 

Now reminding the wife to:

- not pat the cat

- use that old defunct green spade for scooping it all up,  (especially the recent poo) for Destination Trashbin  

Looks like a dedicated N95, just for the garden now...

(because cat poo dirt dust is pretty off) 

• Like 1

I don't think the issue is pets catching the the virus but carrying it. Animal fur can be a home for the Coronavirus just like clothes, shoes, and any other surface. That means stroking or patting pets that have the virus on them is potentially risky. The safest approach is to assume this virus is on everything, everywhere, be that alive or inanimate.

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 2

More fearmongering. I'd have expected better from a long-time poster like yourself. 

What next? Insect vectors? Mosquitoes carrying the virus from biting an infected person? 

There's already more than enough rumor-fired nonsense going around and the Lord of the Flies mentality about poxy cloth masks that do nothing.

Let's stop the pandering to the superstitious and ill-informed please. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Stubby said:

The safest approach is to assume this virus is on everything, everywhere, be that alive or inanimate.

oh! for back in the good ol' military days... 

- If it moved... Salute it

- if it don't move... Paint it

• Like 1

tifino,

I think it’s an excellent idea for you to wear your N-95 mask while shoveling cat poop!

I’m not so much concerned about covid-19; rather it’s due to the very real risk of toxoplasmosis.

Toxoplasmosis (“toxo”) is one of the most ubiquitous parasitic diseases on the planet.  And it potentially lives in cat feces.  AND it can definitely be acquired through airborne particulates.  It “aerosols” very easily.

Most folks with solid immune systems won’t be affected by toxo, but HIV+, chemo and pregnant folks are at big risk.

And even though the “strong immunity” people are felt to be low-risk, I’ve seen two cases of ocular toxo in otherwise healthy, elderly patients.  This is one eye infection you don’t want: it’s often hard to treat and can lead to blindness.

So, I suggest you gear up not only with your trusty N-95, break out that protective eyewear from your last home improvement project (and tape up any “breathing holes” on the sides), put on disposable gloves, or better yet:

Have your neighbor clean up his cat’s act!

Edited by Brightly

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting update.. Let this be notice to any of you have one or two of these cats around the house.

I see a report in the USA Today newspaper today that a tiger or two has texted positive for the virus at the Bronx Zoo in New York.  I was told that they wanted to talk to the animals trainer, but he couldn't be found.  The cats only reply was a very long Buuuuurrrrpp.

So I guess that it can and does have a positive effect on the big pussy cats.

Edited by Gonzo the Face
add on