Can condominium swimming pools stay open?

Wonderboy

The management of my building closed down the swimming pool without consulting with the juristic person (where I am a member). Articles like this https://www.swimmingpool.com/coronavirus/ suggests that there is no scientific evidence that the virus spreads in pools. As there are very few residents at the moment, we want to keep it open, but limit it's use to one person at a time. I am sure I read somewhere that public pools must be closed, but condominiums can decide themselves. Still I can't find that article. Can anyone clarify the regulations? If there are regional rules I am asking about rules for Satthaip district, Chonburi province.

WB

8 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

All condo gyms and pools have been told to close.  Whether it's really necessary, is regrettably moot.

The Condo management decides if they are closing the pool or not. Public pools have to close,though. I'm just watching the pool where I'm staying,and it's still open. 

My condo pool in Chiang Rai has closed until April 24. IMO a knee-jerk reaction, because there is no scientific evidence pools help spread coronavirus. If anything, a properly chlorinated pool would be killing it. Even 0.1 ppm free available chlorine is enough. Closing gymnasiums makes more sense.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, donnacha said:

I absolutely love swimming, I usually swim for an hour every day while listening to audiobooks, but you would have to be insane to use a shared pool in the current circumstances.

We have no idea if the infection can be waterborne, or how long it might last in water, or if it would be destroyed by the chemicals used in swimming pools, but catching it can be brutal, why risk it?

Just go with the facts (https://www.swimmingpool.com/coronavirus). "Insane to use a shared pool" - please elaborate. Yes, there's an element of insanity in crowds at a pool, and there's definitely a good reason to close public pools. Private pools are a different story, and not grouping sundeck chairs together and keep social distances should do the trick! To simply panic doesn't.

14 minutes ago, samtam said:

Source?

We too have this issue. One or two residents asked for the pool to be closed. We agreed to do so, providing our recreation floor (with running track, seating area, children's play area, climbing equipment etc, tennis court, basket ball court, used by children for footie etc), was also closed for the same reason of "social distancing". Of course those using the recreation floor, (or their children), objected, but were quite ok with the pool closure, because they don't use it.

As far as I can gather, pool closure would only be for the social distancing aspect. According to several sources:

https://www.spasa.com.au/news-item/4165/coronavirus-covid-19-are-swimming-pools-safe

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/askst-is-it-possible-to-contract-the-coronavirus-from-swimming

https://www.swimmingpool.com/coronavirus/

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/cross-training/a31472426/coronavirus-is-it-safe-to-go-swimming/

The pool is barely used and is a great exercise option, (which I have personally used used over the last 16 years...1200m every other day).

People seem to be very selective about what constitutes a risk. Many within the condo have live-in maids, but they go out every day to shop, and probably use public transport; some have part time maids, who in most cases travel to work by public transport. Of course residents seem blind to these risks, because it would inconvenience them.

For the third time: Public pools have to close. The local authorities don't have jurisdiction over private/condominium pools. That's up to condominium management.

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

For the third time: Public pools have to close. The local authorities don't have jurisdiction over private/condominium pools. That's up to condominium management.

Why don't you try going for swim and see what happens.  Do let us know. 

11 minutes ago, RBOP said:

I'm just watching the pool from my balcony. 15 min ago there were 4 persons down there 2 of them were swimming,now only one. If you have half a brain try to understand how it works. Don't confuse a public pool with a condo pool. The condominium management decides if they need to close down the pool or not. Not the local authorities. Read this slowly and maybe you'll understand what I'm saying.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I'm just watching the pool from my balcony. 15 min ago there were 4 persons down there 2 of them were swimming,now only one. If you have half a brain try to understand how it works. Don't confuse a public pool with a condo pool. The condominium management decides if they need to close down the pool or not. Not the local authorities. Read this slowly and maybe you'll understand what I'm saying.

Half brain????

48 minutes ago, RBOP said:

I have. The water was lovely. I would say "come on in, the water's fine", but it really would be tempting fate...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Are you sure about that? I am one of about 3 residents left in our Condo and I am on the Board, yet I found the pool closed (in fact the whole roof top was closed including Gym). I went to the JP Office and they informed me it was a requirement from Bangkok Municipal Authority and they had to comply. I managed to get them to agree to leave the Fire Door open so that I can go up and sit by the pool if I need a break from my modest unit, and they agreed to that so long as I promised not to go in the pool. They may not have jurisdiction, but it seems like they have heavyweight influence here in BKK. There was genuine concern that I might dip my toes!!

11 minutes ago, Rod the Sod said:

Are you sure about that? I am one of about 3 residents left in our Condo and I am on the Board, yet I found the pool closed (in fact the whole roof top was closed including Gym). I went to the JP Office and they informed me it was a requirement from Bangkok Municipal Authority and they had to comply. I managed to get them to agree to leave the Fire Door open so that I can go up and sit by the pool if I need a break from my modest unit, and they agreed to that so long as I promised not to go in the pool. They may not have jurisdiction, but it seems like they have heavyweight influence here in BKK. There was genuine concern that I might dip my toes!!

FYI: I'm not staying in BKK. 

It could also be a staff problem. Also, everything at a pool should ( ha ha ) be clean and extra clean with this virus. Shower taps, chairs, tiles etc. I can imagine that a lot of empty condo rooms it would save money to close the pools, offices etc.

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

A young Thai couple is now trying to swim. I've seen dogs swim faster. 

Thanks for the running commentary, I’m sure everyone is fascinated and can’t wait for the next update.

I use our pool every day but sadly the management have closed the pool, gym and all common recreational areas. I fully support the decision. Probably over cautious but who knows.