How to remove ink marks from UK bank notes?

Went to an exchange yesterday to change up some Uk money to Thai baht.

Refused two £50 notes. One had numbers written by probably a biro, and the other, some sort of bank stamp.

After searching on Youtube for a way to remove the ink marks, I have so far tried: deodorant spray, perfume, paint thinners, alcohol, and nail varnish remover. All without success.

Any other suggestions that might work?

I would ask the mods to move your post to the 'Nigeria' part of the forum, or maybe ask one of the SMEs (subject matter experts) found around soi Nana?

Seriously , I have had some tattered USD in the past, refused at the banks but as someone mentioned above super rich seems to take anything.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

A different exchange booth?

Do be careful, you could put the notes beyond redemption by anyone other than the Bank of England.

Yes. I am taking care not to damage them. Although at the moment they smell quite nice as I tried my girlfriend's perfume. Without success.

As for other exchanges here, (I am  in Samui), since the banks stopped doing forex due to COVID, it looks like a lot of the exchanges are taking advantage of lack of competition, by offering bad rates.

This particular exchange that I found was offering far better than the others. Almost 2THB more.

I'm not desperate yet, as I have other funds.

I do believe the £50 are due to be phased out sometime soon, in favour of new plastic notes. Maybe later this year, or next year.

1 minute ago, frequentatore said:

Might not work on a bank stamp but it works on ink from a pen.

I am starting to wonder if it is a permanent marker pen. It is only one number on that particular note, and looks like biro, but it has defeated every liquid or spray that I have tried so far. don't want to damage the note so will give up now.

Thanks for your suggestion.

4 hours ago, Fox hat said:

Brake fluid in a plastic food tray leave to soak over night

Ah the money launder's techniques,however I would copy the serial numbers and photograph in case they get seriously damaged , the Bank of Engand might replace when you get home, else there might be just one lady left in LOS with a sick buffalo ,you could make his/her day

Edited by RubbaJohnny
  • Like 1

As mentioned above ...Brake fluid or milton fluid for steralizing kids bottles etc . Brake fluid is the stronger of the 2 . Both work 100% . But u need to leave the notes in either fluid until u see the ink disappear.... this could take a few hour to overnight depending on the ink and how heavy the print is written on notes . 

An old trick used to clean credit cards for the new signatures .... so I'm told 

Edited by Macthehat
Spelling error
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, dddave said:

You don't say where you are located but if in Bangkok, VASU CURRENCY EXCHANGE on the corner of Sukhumvit and Suk. Soi 7/1 (below Nana BTS) will usually accept imperfect notes as long as they are intact.

Yup. Vasu.

Superrich rejected the cash, vasu downstairs didnt look twice