Re-entry with a work permit

Hello

I am currently in UK and due to return to Bkk on 14th April. I've read the information from this link https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htmthat was given on another post. 

My questions are;

1. Although I have a work permit the actual book itself is in my place in Bkk, so, how will the check-in staff and / or the immigration officer know that I have a work permit?

2. Quoting from the iata (link above) 'Passengers must have a letter from the Embassy with the ‘fit-to-fly' health certificate to transit Thailand.'. Presumably the health certificate will need a doctor to complete it, so, what is the letter I need from the Embassy?

3. Is the $100,000 covid-19 specific health insurance still a requirement? According to the Thai Embassy website it is required for all passengers http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/news/7519/115274-**Updated-Requirements-for-travellers-from-the-ong.html

Thank you in advance for all helpful, factual replies.

• Like 1

The health certificate (as I understand it) must include the statement "has tested negative for covid-19"

Meaning specific test.

Things change by the day.

April 14 is a way off. Wouldn't be surprised if your flight is a no go.

Q#3. Yes

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

Neither a letter or insurance is mentioned on that page under number 1.

THAILAND - published 26.03.2020
1. Passengers are not allowed to enter Thailand.
- This does not apply to nationals of Thailand.
- This does not apply to airline crew with pre-existing schedules.
- This does not apply to diplomats and their family members.
- This does not apply to passengers with a work permit.
- This does not apply to passengers with a waiver from PM or PIC of State of Emergency.
2. Passengers must have a letter from the Embassy with the ‘fit-to-fly' health certificate to transit Thailand. The transit time must not be more than 24 hours.
3. Nationals of Thailand must have a letter from the Embassy with the ‘fit-to-fly' health certificate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bounder said:

Hello DrJack and Ubonjoe

Thank you for your replies. 

Hey. Always choose ubonjoe replies. 

My post was off target because the current rules have exemptions as ubon pointed out.

I was aware of that but had brain fade.

Not sure what your reentry stamp shows. 

Having said all that can you suspend your trip. At very least you need self quarantine for 14 day. Most of Thailand on cusp of curfew etc. 

I'm sure your across-the-board with current situation but keep in mind it may be for naught if you even manage to reenter Thailand. 

Good luck. 

5 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

That's worrying as many sites do talk about health insurance??? But who knows TIT.

As does the advice from the Department of Disease Control, although it doesn't specify what level of health insurance is required. 

For Non-Thai citizens - Health certification describing "No laboratory evidence of COVID-19 infection in the 72 hours prior to the departure date" and health insurance as determined by the Thailand Government

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/index.php

"All foreign nationals are now barred from entering Thailand except in certain circumstances. Foreign nationals with work permits in Thailand will be allowed to enter, but they will need a fit-to-fly health certificate."

Thats from UK In Thailand, latest update, no mention of insurance or covid test, just 'fit to fly'

Could someone specify exactly what a fit to fly health certificate consists of? If they are still requiring a negative covid test with lab results for work permit re entry then that will still make coming back next to impossible. 

16 hours ago, Surelynot said:

That's worrying as many sites do talk about health insurance??? But who knows TIT.

Don't believe everything you find on the internet. The majority of them have false or outdated info about it.

1 hour ago, hafler30 said:

Could someone specify exactly what a fit to fly health certificate consists of? If they are still requiring a negative covid test with lab results for work permit re entry then that will still make coming back next to impossible. 

A fit to fly certificate is only needed if your are transiting or a Thai citizen/national.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bounder said:

1. Although I have a work permit the actual book itself is in my place in Bkk, so, how will the check-in staff and / or the immigration officer know that I have a work permit?

2. Quoting from the iata (link above) 'Passengers must have a letter from the Embassy with the ‘fit-to-fly' health certificate to transit Thailand.'. Presumably the health certificate will need a doctor to complete it, so, what is the letter I need from the Embassy?

3. Is the $100,000 covid-19 specific health insurance still a requirement? According to the Thai Embassy website it is required for all passengers http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/news/7519/115274-**Updated-Requirements-for-travellers-from-the-ong.html

1. Do you have a copy of it.  If not could somebody scan your work permit and send a copy of it to you by email. 

2. Not needed unless you are transiting Thailand. Or if a Thai national one from the Thai embassy.

3. Outdated info. 

It all changed after the emergency decree went into effect on March 26th.

The CAAT Travel Advisory dated 26 March 2020 mentions fit to fly certificate and no requirement to have test. I think that this is more up to date than MOPH website but not sure.

On a separate subject I have PR and want to return to Thailand. All I am aware of in this regard is notice from Thailand Elite which mentioned PR holders allowed to return but am not sure of the legal basis of the notice especially when checking in. Does anyone especially ubonjoe know of any other document re PRs in this regard?

37 minutes ago, rimmae2 said:

On a separate subject I have PR and want to return to Thailand.

I have seen no info about what is required for those with permanent residency that do not currently have a work permit.

I suggest you check with the Thai embassy where you at now about it.  I would assume it could be the same as being a Thai national which means only a fit to fly certificate from the embassy would be needed.

• Like 1

OP, regarding your Q#1, you may wish to have a read of current thread where guy stuck at airport as his work permit had an issue. Thinking ubonjoe suggestion of having someone email you a copy may be required. 

The most recent notice by CAAT on 26/3 does say wp holders need a fit to fly certificate issued within 72 hours. See point 2 in the attachment. Crucially, it doesn't specify what's required. I will try to contact a Thai consulate or embassy on Monday. If they still require a covid test with lab results then re entry will be extremely difficult.

IMG_20200327_063049.jpg

34 minutes ago, hafler30 said:

The most recent notice by CAAT on 26/3 does say wp holders need a fit to fly certificate issued within 72 hours. See point 2 in the attachment.

Apparently the IATA did not get that same notice.

It is not mentioned in their requirements that the airlines will see (my post at 2).

1 hour ago, piewarmer said:

good luck getting a Covid 19 test if you are not ill (unless you are a rich sportsman)

Yes I agree. That's why I think if they say they are allowing people in with work permits on one hand but still asking for a covid test with lab results as part of a fit to fly certificate then there's not really any progress. Two week mandatory quarantine at your own expense similar to Hong Kong would be a better idea.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

1. Do you have a copy of it.  If not could somebody scan your work permit and send a copy of it to you by email. 

2. Not needed unless you are transiting Thailand. Or if a Thai national one from the Thai embassy.

3. Outdated info. 

It all changed after the emergency decree went into effect on March 26th.

Hi again ubonjoe, to answer your questions;

1. I don't have a copy of it. Getting one maybe possible. I don't know if duplicate docs would be accepted in any case.

2. UK Foreign Office believes the health certificate is still required https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/coronavirus

3. Royal Thai Embassy still believe the insurance is required and refer me back to their website updated on 26th March https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/coronavirus

It will all come down to the official at immigration in any case.

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, regarding your Q#1, you may wish to have a read of current thread where guy stuck at airport as his work permit had an issue. Thinking ubonjoe suggestion of having someone email you a copy may be required. 

Hi again DrJack54

The situation he finds himself in is exactly the kind of administrative nightmare I want to avoid. Even if I can get a copy of my WP emailed, it's quite possible that an 'original documents only' policy is applied for documents. Similarly with the insurance required / not required, health certificate required / not required. It will all come down to the officer at the point of entry.

44 minutes ago, Bounder said:

Hi again DrJack54

The situation he finds himself in is exactly the kind of administrative nightmare I want to avoid. Even if I can get a copy of my WP emailed, it's quite possible that an 'original documents only' policy is applied for documents. Similarly with the insurance required / not required, health certificate required / not required. It will all come down to the officer at the point of entry.

Mate. Easy for me to type stuff on Thai visa. I'm right now on an closed island with 12 month permission of stay in los.

March 16 I was Saigon airport on route to Bangkok. The flights from Saigon to Singapore were all cancelled. Except early ones. So 10 cancelled. 

I thought...geez things are changing rapidly.

I was due back Saigon April 14. Vietnam close all borders. etc etc.

Seriously Bounder I would reconsider any travel right now.

I have even decided to bunker down where I am. Live bkk but would not wish to return in case of curfew lockdown etc.

Stay where you are is my advice.

Good luck stay healthy.