Thailand runs short of eggs

webfact

Some Thai quack apparently was on Facebook claiming egg protein was a corona virus prophylactic. So everyone rushes out to buy them.

I saw a couple in Chiang Rai who loaded up with two full shopping trolleys, hope they go rotten on them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Once again village life scores a hit. Madam Moon's sister-in-law has a very productive brood of hens and we get first pick before the eggs leave for market.

We're very unlikely to go short. Which is just as well 'cos I luv 'em.

Hmmmm. It just occurred  to me that the  neighbors  chickens have not been roaming about as  usual.

Quarantined  or chicknapped?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, champers said:

Posters will be cracking yokes about this story all day and everyone will get eggsasperated.

59 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

Shell we start?

Eggxactly ! Omelette the hens out (woof woof), it's Scramblin' Time !

Yeah, read somewhere a couple days ago that some (Thai) doctor type had gone on about how the coronavirus couldn't penetrate an egg shell so people suddenly started buying up eggs, for much the same reason they were buying up toilet paper ('cause they're ID-10-Ts).

4 minutes ago, GordyS said:

Somchai's just dropped 50k's worth on the deck

90958926_1509419749240553_9177495047329808384_n.jpg

Argh !

Beat me to it ! Had the same pic on my Crackbook feed just seconds ago !

It's a conspiracy to drive the prices up ! (Or just nutty people - probably that.)

The village momma poppa shops have plenty of eggs but the supermarkets do seem to be stripped of them. I want to know who the evil people are who are hoarding fish fingers, went to Makro yesterday and there were none left.

Edited by sandrabbit

Local Egg farm near Chumphon is out of stock.  Hot season + mild panic buying has them out of stock now as of a few hours ago.   

Not sure about Makro/other places in Chumphon.  But the word is getting around though, and causing some locals to take eggstreme measures. 

Un ouef already, the recipe is scrambled

and the chef halfboiled.

What next chocolate blocked, Anna Peel for Banana pancakes by those forced to sanuk on a tropical beach rather than plague ravaged cities.

P.S. Im wearing my Jatukom lucky Omelette availble at all good cracks

Edited by RubbaJohnny

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

They must be Ostrich eggs at that price.

regards Worgeordie

My wife just came back with a tray of 30 = 150 baht, tells me she couldn't get them cheaper than that, the usual lady she buys them from used to charge her 100 baht, now 170 baht, words exchanged and will NEVER be going back to her.

This latest lot from a friend who has a shop who told her she paid 140 baht for them in the main market this morning, but had to buy 5 trays as they wouldn't sell singles, and we can believe that because my wife yelled out from the car this morning when we were there, any single trays she yelled as we could see the 5 trays bundled, well what was left of them, about 5 x 5 and they said 140 baht per tray, but you have to buy 5 trays, we declined, don't have that big a family and already have 2 trays x 30 which now brings it to 3 x 3 trays of 30 eggs and with 6 of us, they won't last long, rashen times for the family ????

Edited by 4MyEgo

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The price of eggs has increased due to hoarding by people worried about the Covid-19 virus – and the rising summer temperature making hens less productive.

For 'city Thais' who buy their eggs from retailers who buy their eggs from feed-lots.
In rural villages?  I can throw a rock in just about any direction and hit a hen-house.  

• Like 2